Counting Lemmas

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 802
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 11 2018 2:53 PM

I recently did a Morphological Search for every word in the New Testament that had a prefix of συν - or various similar forms.  [These are the various "CO" words like συμπάσχω = co-suffer in Romans 8:17.]  I used the MORPH SEARCH  lemma:συν* OR lemma:συμ* OR lemma:συγ* . The search worked well (583 results).  However, when I looked at ANALYSIS, there were many, many lemmas with this prefix. [It would have taken a long time to count them.] Can anyone think of a way [except manually] to count these lemmas?

Posts 802
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 11 2018 4:13 PM

I found that a better search format is a BIBLE SEARCH with συν*  NOTEQUALS  σὺν  OR  συμ* . By my own count I got 143 Lemmas.

Posts 23704
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 6:29 AM

Bill Fiess:
συν*  NOTEQUALS  σὺν  OR  συμ*

Why is that better?

If you want a count of distinct lemmas then I suggest συν* OR συμ* OR  συγ*  in Lemma Text of a lexicon:

157 in LExham Analytical LExicon of the NT, which is specific to SBLGNT words

214 in DBL Greek ?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3456
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 6:48 AM

The problem with this sort of approach is that it is not capable of distinguishing results in which συ is a prefix from those where it is not. For instance, the search string above will miss συζάω.

Searching NT lexica that provide etymology can be a useful alternative. For instance, the NASB Dictionary always gives the etymology of words according to Strong's number. σύν is #4862. Entries built on it will say: "from 4862 and". Searching the entire dictionary for it one gets 148 results. 

The New Strong's Dictionary uses the same system but sometimes varies its formulation. So I removed "from" in the search string above and got 150 results. Not sure what accounts for the difference, nor if either resource claims to be exhaustive and whether there are limitations to the Strong's system that would affect the results of this search.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS