New Computer

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 86
J David Shuttleworth | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 23 2018 7:46 PM

Hello, 

I am looking to buy a new laptop. I saw the recommended hardware. I have a portfolio library and am wondering if I really need a 512ssd, or will 256ssd be sufficient? I know you all have discussed this before, but any recent suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you all and God Bless you!!

Posts 27428
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 7:53 PM

256 would be sufficient for you if your ONLY use is Logos. Certainly if you plan to use the computer for photos / music, your drive would be on the small side. The only thing I can think of (Logos wise) which would cause me to pause is media and/or courses. Those take up quite a bit of room. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 86
J David Shuttleworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 7:59 PM

So a 512ssd would be better. I trying to get away from any type of hhd. I can store photos on an external drive, use for backup. I do currently have some courses. So does all of the library get stored locally, and a portfolio would fit on a 512ssd.?

Posts 27428
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 8:24 PM

For the desktop app, ALL resources are downloaded. There is no ability to pick and choose (without hiding resources).

I don’t have portfolio, but it should work with either of those drives... again, it is a matter of usage. If this were a church computer and only being used for Logos & sermon writing, the smaller is probably sufficient. If you have other uses for the computer, I’d strongly evaluate how much space you will need for those things. You should not be scared away from the 256 if you don’t need the 512. I currently have a 256... but my next computer will likely have 512! My photo collection is growing... as are my boys! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 17872
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 8:57 PM

J David Shuttleworth:
I do currently have some courses. So does all of the library get stored locally, and a portfolio would fit on a 512ssd.?

Yes for local storage of library resource files (in Resources folder). Downloaded Media (video & audio) are in WebCache folder.

Personally have two Mac models with 256 GB Solid State Disks (SSD), which are adequate for my personal use (with few photos).

If was shopping for a newer computer, would look for 512 GB SSD, especially for models that cannot be upgraded (also would look for 16 GB Ram).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1382
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 11:18 PM

I have a laptop with Windows 10 and 512 GB SSD, bought last November.

Logos Gold with 6000 resources. Not much else. 237 GB free.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 622
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 8:11 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

...(also would look for 16 GB Ram).

Keep Smiling Smile

I had my Task Manager up the other day looking at how my various processes affected the memory usage on my PC, and as for RAM, my Logos never used over 4 GB.

Processing speed was challenged often, but not memory.

Posts 3161
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 8:34 AM

Michael S.:

I had my Task Manager up the other day looking at how my various processes affected the memory usage on my PC, and as for RAM, my Logos never used over 4 GB.

Processing speed was challenged often, but not memory.

Take a look at memory usage when Logos indexes.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 8:39 AM

PetahChristian:

Take a look at memory usage when Logos indexes.

In Microsoft, how do I do this?

Posts 3161
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 8:54 AM

Use the Task Manager as Michael S. mentioned.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 9:18 AM

PetahChristian:

Use the Task Manager as Michael S. mentioned.

Thank you, Petah.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS