Exegetical summaries returning to their former glory

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1420
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 26 2018 9:05 AM

Thousand thanks to FL!

The Exegetical Summary of Joel was updated, and it seems to work like before: Hovering over the Bible version, it shows its text, and also the preferred Bible text. 

https://www.logos.com/product/8156/an-exegetical-summary-of-joel 

Also two other recent updates seem to have this functionality:

https://www.logos.com/product/8134/an-exegetical-summary-of-luke-1-11-2nd-ed 

https://www.logos.com/product/8153/an-exegetical-summary-of-revelation-1-11-2nd-ed 

Those who don't have these yet, could buy these just to enjoy the functionality Cool

I wish this functionality could be in all Logo resources. Would boost the sales a lot!

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2018 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info, excellent.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3185
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2018 12:08 PM

Yes but once again the BAGD/BDAG issue raises it's ugly head- we need both. Sad thing is at one time it was in my library, but changing computers I lost it and cannot get the files again.

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2018 4:23 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Yes but once again the BAGD/BDAG issue raises it's ugly head- we need both. Sad thing is at one time it was in my library, but changing computers I lost it and cannot get the files again.

If you have the serial number or call CS they might be able to restore it since they might be able to track down if you indeed owned it or not. 

Posts 421
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2018 7:24 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Yes but once again the BAGD/BDAG issue raises it's ugly head- we need both. 

You're certainly right - we do need both in our libraries. Keep well  Paul 

Posts 3185
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 3:31 AM

DAL:

Whyndell Grizzard:

If you have the serial number or call CS they might be able to restore it since they might be able to track down if you indeed owned it or not. 

I have numerous 3.5 disks (from the early 90's) and no way to access them- I have a suspicion that is where the file is at, that's the hold up.

Posts 40
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 3:32 PM

Whyndell, USB connected 3.5" floppy disk drives are pretty easily obtained in the $10-$20 range. They are actually useful for reading those old files. Perhaps you know someone who has one of these USB Floppy Disk Drives. Me, I'm looking for the USB based drive that can read 5.25" and 8" floppies. Yes, I know—it's time to get rid of all that old stuff. ;)

Shalom,

Joseph

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 3:53 PM

I would not necessarily call it "former glory". It was never great to begin with. The way Logos has handled this has been a disappointment from the beginning and far from what was promised "The Logos edition of the Exegetical Summaries Series will take your exegesis to the next level. All references to commentaries and lexicons are linked to your digital titles, and Scripture references are linked to Greek and Hebrew texts and English translations."

Logos has justified not properly linking all references by artificially distinguishing between explicit references to a particular page or section and implicit references where no page numbers or sections are given even though the exact reference is obvious: the mention of WBC when dealing with Rev 1:15 was obviously meant to be interpreted as the section of WBC where verse 1:15 is discussed. Instead, I still get only the useless bibliography data explaining what WBC means for the thousandth time, another reminder that something is missing.

However, I see in the updated volumes that sometimes, there is a link to a section of a commentary or manuscript but it is far too inconsistent to be reliable.

If volumes are being updated to show more links, this is a welcome development, but we should not have to wait 10 years to see Logos delivering of what was promised from the onset.

Posts 3185
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 4:05 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Thanks for checking, for some reason thought I had that at one point- it may have been another software from ages ago before I got Libronix/ Logos.

Posts 1420
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 11:06 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Many (or all) Exegetical Summaries refer to BAGD. The simplest solution is to let BDAG owners to have also the older one. Perhaps with a small fee although prefer free. Just needs some work and some good will.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 90
Steve Nicholson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2018 4:24 AM

Yes

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2018 5:47 AM

Veli Voipio:

I'm hoping that this series is still a work in progress because they seem to be hit or miss on the links.

For example: WBC (which I own) is not linked in Luke but is in Joel; neither is Anchor Bible Commentary (which I own) but Anchor is linked in the Joel volume. 

Compare the concordance for each...

The bottom line is that although this is a significant improvement over the previous functionality of these resources, there are still far more links to be created. What the concordance doesn't show (in this view) is how many other Logos resources are referenced but not linked to, nevertheless I'm thankful for a great start at beefing up this series!

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1420
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2018 11:51 PM

Veli Voipio:

Whyndell Grizzard:

Many (or all) Exegetical Summaries refer to BAGD. The simplest solution is to let BDAG owners to have also the older one. Perhaps with a small fee although prefer free. Just needs some work and some good will.

Came across this in https://glennweaver.home.blog/2018/08/30/the-main-objection-to-software/#more-78 :

"Resources missing

What can you do if the text, or lexicon, or other needed resource isn’t available in your software program? Perhaps it isn’t available electronically at all? This can be a problem for some people, though this is becoming less of a problem as publishers produce more electronic titles. Usually software programs have a reasonable substitute and may even have resources or program features that work better than the desired resource."

In this case it exists, is tagged, but not available ... Devil?

Posts 1420
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2018 1:55 AM

I just bump this, because nobody replied, and I did not check the number of reads.

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2018 2:12 AM

Veli Voipio:

Veli Voipio:

Whyndell Grizzard:

There is an effort to once again make BAGD available for Logos you can vote for it and add your voice to this effort follow this link to the thread and topic on Uservoice https://community.logos.com/forums/p/168669/979336.aspx#979336 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2018 6:32 PM

James Taylor:
they seem to be hit or miss on the links.

Fixed! Thanks Kyle and team :-)

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2018 11:22 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

I've been stuck in quicksand over this issue for at least a decade. I had BAGD at one time under my first email address, but Logos says they can't locate that account. It was an old Juno email account back in the 90s. I didn't use Logos much from about 2001-2005, until L3 came out. Like others, I have my old Logos backup disk and no way to access what's in it. One of those "bad taste" things about FL that is stuck in my craw. I also have some other Logos resources I can't access: the old E4 disk, the Sproul Collection, and some other odd things I've forgotten about. Like a burr under my saddle. Super Angry Oh, yeah...NASB 77. Had it, lost it, and then missed it by a day when they gave it away for free. I have a hardback sitting next to me, but having the digital is much more useful.

Dead BAGD links bug me, but the many other resources that have dead links are cumulatively more irritating. I can barely remember the days when all my thought about Logos were positive ones. Things really went downhill with L4, and not much has recovered. I used to be such a fanboy.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS