DATA BUG: missing alternative name

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 26 2018 5:55 PM

The Factbook cannot be accessed by trying to find the person Ammon (not the region Ammon) directly. However if you

• search for a translation using Ammon as I did above
  • open that translation
  • open the context menu for the person, you can find that the person Ammon is called Benammi is Factbook.

Given that his descendents are called Ammonites and that the NABRE is a major translation and that even if you know the alternative name you might spell it Ben-ammi, I strongly believe that the alternative name should appear on the Factbook record.

I find this even more problematic because I have yet to find the magic search argument that would tell me when the person tag associated with Ammon is not "Ammon" i.e. a more direct way to find alternative names.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 24567
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2018 4:44 AM

MJ. Smith:
open the context menu for the person, you can find that the person Ammon is called Benammi is Factbook.

Going by Faithlife's tagging, it would be more accurate to state that <Person Benammi> is called Ammon in NAB/NABRE/DR and Ben-ammi/Benammi elsewhere. So Factbook may be deficient in not providing Ammon directly in the article for Benammi.

MJ. Smith:
I find this even more problematic because I have yet to find the magic search argument that would tell me when the person tag associated with Ammon is not "Ammon" i.e. a more direct way to find alternative names.

<Person Benammi>  NOT INTERSECTS  Benammi, Ben-ammi INTERSECTS <LogosMorphHeb ~ N????>. But I see this matter is discussed in your other thread.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2018 2:00 PM

Dave Hooton:
<Person Benammi>  NOT INTERSECTS  Benammi, Ben-ammi INTERSECTS <LogosMorphHeb ~ N????>. But I see this matter is discussed in your other thread.

Thanks Dave. The other thread did not come to a satisfactory conclusion .... this can be modified to work with the LXX as well.

Dave Hooton:
So Factbook may be deficient in not providing Ammon directly in the article for Benammi.

That is my feeling because when one is using the Factbook directly rather than through Bible tagging, one often doesn't know what the alternative name is. This is even more obvious when going from LXX rather than Hebrew names.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS