"But" bible

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 31
Matt Gubala | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 30 2018 10:51 AM

Out of the 3994 hits out of 3751 verses,  for the word "but" in English the concordance tool supplied a result for the KJV1900. Is there any way to export them back into the text of the KJV to mark them with the highlighter tool?  or has that been asked again? Our pastor aways speaks of his "But" bible  as it exists; yet I have not found one on the market The steps to export it into  to a MS WORD or PDF might make a great retirement gift. Yes they never actually retire, but when he is not FT pastor.

I imagine it will be a daunting task even on the best PC for the most Logos saavy it was perhaps  a pipe dream for the past  but it seems plausable, for someone with the know how-- any thoughts, I have visited the Logos pro videos. Thank you.

Posts 1998
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2018 12:27 PM

Matt, are you wanting to export the entirety of the Biblical text with the "buts" highlighted, or only the verses that contain the word? If the latter, a simple search followed by print/export should do the trick. If the former, you'll probably just want to create a Visual Filter.

Please reply back if you have any further questions or clarification!

Posts 31
Matt Gubala | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2018 1:25 PM

The entire text of bibe with the "but" s highlighted, just the biblical text, Chapter/verse and it would be EXPORTED then presented back to him as an editable document, where he could later edit it or comment on it,  Does that answer your question? A passage list merged with every other passage from Gen-RevI am a novice on this, thankfully he is still preaching so I have a while as long (as he gives us) Lord willing to work on it.

Posts 17963
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2018 5:43 PM

Matt Gubala:
Our pastor aways speaks of his "But" bible  as it exists; yet I have not found one on the market The steps to export it into to a MS WORD or PDF might make a great retirement gift.

Basic packages are free => Basic and => Verbum Basic that enable Visual Filter highlighting of "but" in bibles: e.g. KJV

Caveat for copying into Word is careful selection of highlighting since Logos and Verbum have more highlighting options.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 10:09 AM

Heard last week of a preacher who read Psalm 103:14 "He knows that we are but dust" when a little girl asked her hard-of-hearing grandmother in a loud "whisper", "what is butt dust?" I had shared this story with a few people before including that reference in my message on Sunday. I used a translation that omits the "but", but that did not keep some smiles from appearing on the faces of congregants who had heard the story.

I am including a snipping of the Logos search that indicates which translations include the "but" to keep this post relevant to Forum guidelines.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 31
Matt Gubala | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2018 9:37 AM

This is exactly the type of report on the visual filter to produce the text.  THANK YOU I have been able to produce a 100-page doc and got it to pdf. However, I think there is a learning curve thing on my end. is there a switch or parameter or that would stop the printing of this document to 100 pages? or is that a limitation of the print export capability of Logos 7. or is this simply what is most likely my inexperience and'driver error"? thank you Christmas is getting close.Sad the end result is the limit of my export was 100 pages perhaps 199 pages if the file is considered double sided output

Posts 10035
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2018 10:00 AM

Matt Gubala:
is there a switch or parameter or that would stop the printing of this document to 100 pages? or is that a limitation of the print export capability of Logos 7.

It is a limitation (I assume put into place on behalf of publishers' interest which don't want users excerpting 100% of large books). There's no switch or setting to go beyond 100 - but the functionality takes into account font size and paper size - i.e. more text fits into 100 A2 pages at very small font size  than into 100 A5 pages at very large font size. The actual printing done from Word or Adobe to your actual paper may vary from the 100. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 31
Matt Gubala | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 2:17 PM

Since I am using KJV 1900 is there a publisher involved?

Posts 21918
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 2:32 PM

Matt Gubala:

Since I am using KJV 1900 is there a publisher involved?

The product page - https://www.logos.com/product/17910/the-holy-bible-king-james-version - has Logos as the publisher.

The software doesn’t distinguish - in this regard - between public domain works and those still within copyright,

The only resources where the 100 page limit does not apply - as far as I am aware - are Personal Books

Posts 31
Matt Gubala | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 2:49 PM

Thank you for providing clarity to my question, It will not help me produce this gift, but thank you for preventing me from wasting my time nowI can verify your rational thinking with Logos tech support

Posts 898
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 3:02 PM

Logos is really not the best tool to do this. Instead, you want to find a Word doc of the KJV online, and use find and replace to find "but" and replace it as "but" with the desired formatting. Then you can format the whole document to have it printed and bound. If there is some reason you want to use Logos I am not understanding, just select the range as page 1-100, then 101-200, 201-300, etc. Then combine them outside of the program. Selecting a large page size with small margins will make it go quicker.

Posts 31
Matt Gubala | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 3:29 PM

Justin, you may be describing reality, and have a pragmatic solution however my < $1,000 investment makes me feel like this limitation should not exist.  rather should allow this use of a visual filter which was described as a technical limitation in previous versions f the software. Thank you for helping me "right set" my mind

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS