Canon as Scripture or as a title

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3636
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 31 2018 2:59 PM

I am doing a search for sources that deal with the canon as scripture.  The results include a large number entries where the subject or the author is a person whose title is "Canon ...". Is there a way to form a search that can filter out these second set of results?

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2018 4:00 PM

Did you try subject:canon ?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3636
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 11:14 AM

Gives no results:

I also did a similar search on a collection of encyclopedias, etc. Again, no results.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 3636
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 11:21 AM

A suggested search popped up <topic Canon of the Bible>, but again, no results.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 11:31 AM

Sorry I thought you were searching in the library panel for books on the topic which would get you something like:

Canon development Bibliography (2)

McDonald, Lee Martin. The Biblical Canon: Its Origin, Transmission, and Authority. Grand Rapids, MI: Hendrickson Publishers, 2011.

Bruce, F. F. The Canon of Scripture. Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press, 1988.

Warfield, Benjamin B. The Canon of the New Testament: How and When Formed. Philadelphia: American Sunday-School Union, 1892.

Christian History Magazine-Issue 43: How We Got Our Bible, Canon to King James. Carol Stream, IL: Christianity Today, 1994.

Scanlin, Harold P. The Dead Sea Scrolls & Modern Translations of the Old Testament. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 1993.

Ulrich, Eugene. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Origins of the Bible. Studies in the Dead Sea Scrolls and Related Literature. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1999.

Evans, Craig A., Emanuel Tov, and Lee Martin McDonald, eds. Exploring the Origins of the Bible: Canon Formation in Historical, Literary, and Theological Perspective. Acadia Studies in Bible and Theology. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2008.

Müller, Mogens. The First Bible of the Church: A Plea for the Septuagint. Vol. 206. Journal for the Study of the Old Testament Supplement Series. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1996.

Geisler, Norman L., and William E. Nix. A General Introduction to the Bible. Rev. and expanded. Chicago: Moody Press, 1986.

Breen, A. E. A General Introduction to the Study of Holy Scripture. Second Edition. Rochester, NY: John P. Smith Printing Company, 1908.

Gigot, Francis Ernest. General Introduction to the Study of the Holy Scriptures. New York; Cincinnati; Chicago: Benziger Brothers, 1900.

Burkitt, F. Crawford. The Gospel History and Its Transmission. Third Edition. Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark, 1911.

Ottley, Richard R. A Handbook to the Septuagint. London: Methuen & Co., 1920.

Sumner, Tracy Macon. How Did We Get the Bible?. Uhrichsville, OH: Barbour, 2009.

Hays, Eds J. Daniel, J. Scott Duvall, and J. Daniel Hays. How the Bible Came to Be (ebook Short). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2012.

Thomas, W Griffith. How We Got Our Bible. Chicago, IL: Moody Publishers, 2013.

Publishing, Rose. How We Got the Bible. Torrance, CA: Rose Publishing, 1998.

Pontifical Biblical Commission. The Jewish People and Their Sacred Scriptures in the Christian Bible. Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002.

Patzia, Arthur G. The Making of the New Testament: Origin, Collection, Text & Canon. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1995.

Patzia, Arthur G. The Making of the New Testament: Origin, Collection, Text & Canon. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2011.

Hahneman, Geoffrey Mark. The Muratorian Fragment and the Development of the Canon. Oxford Theological Monographs. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1992.

Theissen, Gerd. The New Testament: A Literary History. Translated by Linda M. Maloney. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2012.

Beckwith, Roger T. The Old Testament Canon of the New Testament Church and Its Background in Early Judaism. London: SPCK, 1985.

Comfort, Philip Wesley, ed. The Origin of the Bible. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale, 2004.

Hengel, Martin, Roland Deines, and Mark E. Biddle. The Septuagint as Christian Scripture : Its Prehistory and the Problem of Its Canon. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 2002.

Souter, Alexander. The Text and Canon of the New Testament. Studies in Theology. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1913.

Law, Timothy Michael. When God Spoke Greek: The Septuagint and the Making of the Christian Bible. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.

Cosin, John. The Works of the Right Reverend Father in God John Cosin, Lord Bishop of Durham. Vol. 3. The Works of Bishop Cosin. Oxford: John Henry Parker, 1849.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 11:27 AM September 1, 2018.

Using a Basic Search and the search argument 'Bible canon formation' I get:

Basic Search for bible canon formation

Albert and Thomas: Selected Writings 14 results in 2 articles

Ashland Theological Journal, Volume 28 13 results in 1 article

Ashland Theological Journal, Volume 30 8 results in 1 article

Ashland Theological Journal, Volume 32 17 results in 1 article

Ashland Theological Journal, Volume 34 14 results in 1 article

The Bible: Its Meaning and Supremacy 18 results in 2 articles

The Biblical Repertory and Princeton Review, 1837, Vol. 9, Nos. 1–4 8 results in 1 article

The Biblical Repertory and Theological Review, 1836, Vol. 8, Nos. 1–4 10 results in 1 article

Biblical Studies and the Shifting of Paradigms, 1850–1914 3 results in 1 article

A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture 14 results in 1 article

Christ’s Proclamation to the Spirits: A Study of 1 Peter 3:18–4:6 4 results in 1 article

The Churchman: Volume 99, Nos. 1–4 8 results in 1 article

The Collegeville Bible Commentary 11 results in 1 article

Comical Doctrine: An Epistemology of New Testament Hermeneutics 38 results in 2 articles

Commentary on the Old Testament 3 results in 1 article

A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Book of Esther 4 results in 1 article

The Dead Sea Scrolls in Their Historical Context 3 results in 1 article

A Dictionary of Christian Antiquities, Vols. I & II 5 results in 1 article

Fire of Mercy, Heart of the Word: Meditations on the Gospel according to Saint Matthew, Volumes 1–3: Chapters 1–25 15 results in 1 article

The Formation and Significance of the Christian Biblical Canon: A Study in Text, Ritual and Interpretation 6 results in 1 article

The Formation of the Jewish Canon 27 results in 2 articles

Handbook for Biblical Interpretation: An Essential Guide to Methods, Terms, and Concepts 28 results in 2 articles

Harper’s Bible Dictionary 18 results in 1 article

Historical Commentaries on the State of Christianity during the First Three Hundred and Twenty-Five Years, Vols. I & II 145 results in 2 articles

Introducing the New Testament: Its Literature and Theology 4 results in 1 article

Introduction to Rabbinic Literature 3 results in 1 article

Isaiah 1–39: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary 4 results in 1 article

Journal of Dispensational Theology, Volume 12 37 results in 1 article

Literary Approaches to the Bible 8 results in 1 article

Old Testament Wisdom: An Introduction 3 results in 1 article

On Religion: Speeches to Its Cultured Despisers 5 results in 1 article

Priests, Prophets and Scribes: Essays on the Formation and Heritage of Second Temple Judaism in Honour of Joseph Blenkinsopp 24 results in 1 article

The Principle of Protestantism as Related to the Present State of the Church 35 results in 1 article

Process Theology: A Guide for the Perplexed 7 results in 1 article

Reasons for Our Hope 4 results in 1 article

Religious and Theological Abstracts 4 results in 1 article

Review of Biblical Literature: 2000 8 results in 1 article

Review of Biblical Literature: 2001 5 results in 1 article

Semeia 76: Race, Class and the Politics of Biblical Translation 4 results in 1 article

Semeia 83/84: Slavery in Text and Interpretation 6 results in 1 article

The Septuagint as Christian Scripture: Its Prehistory and the Problem of Its Canon 3 results in 1 article

The Shape of the Liturgy 4 results in 1 article

Symbols of Church and Kingdom: A Study in Early Syriac Tradition 6 results in 1 article

That All May Believe: A Theology of the Gospel and the Mission of the Church 4 results in 1 article

Theological Highlights of Vatican II 4 results in 1 article

The Touch of the Sacred: The Practice, Theology, and Tradition of Christian Worship 3 results in 1 article

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 11:31 AM September 1, 2018.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3636
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:01 PM

My library is conbsiderably smaller than yours.  Here are my results:

... and this still does not answer my original question.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:09 PM

But did you pick up any with "canon" as a title of an office? I didn't and thought that the exclusion was inherent in the search.

what did you get from:

MJ. Smith:

Posts 3636
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:12 PM

Not when searching the library - but when doing a more general search of the entire library or a collection, I still am seeing the same problem.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:13 PM

Oops, I modified my reply above too late; Didn't this solve the problem within the library?

MJ. Smith:

Posts 3636
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:56 PM

Did not have a problem searching the library window - but do when doing the more general search within my resources or a collection.  Am I misunderstanding or miscommunicating something here? 

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 3:18 PM

could you show a screen shot of your search? When I use  'Bible formation canon' - no quotes or commas I don't get people with canon as part of their title ... and I have a fair amount of Anglican stuff. I suspect that setting Match case would get rid of the title - just be sure you have Bible capitalized.

Posts 3636
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 4:28 PM

MJ. Smith:
When I use  'Bible formation canon' - no quotes or commas I don't get people with canon as part of their title ...

OK - finally understood.  Thank you for the help.

Is there some way I should have known the "secret handshake" to get this to work, or was it just your extensive experience that helped form a helpful search phrase. Was there something obvious that I missed?

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 7:33 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Was there something obvious that I missed?

No, there is nothing obvious - it's a matter of trying something close to what you want, observing what the "extra/missing" hits are, finding the common denominator and screen for that ... Since I have 30+ years in IT and 15+ with Logos I have lots of experience finding patterns ... but Dave is much better at it.

Posts 3636
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2018 7:14 AM

Must be the LOGOS experience - I wrote my first computer programs in 1966-67 as a junior in high school as part of an IBM Explorer Post. Left computing 10 or so years ago, shortly after I was diagnosed with MS.

Though I would put my start date on LOGOS at 15-16 years ago, I also know you were already active on the forums when I purchased my first LOGOS 3 package at that time.

Again, thank you for your help in tracking down a solution.  Blessings.

Blessings,
Floyd

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS