Best Way to Scroll Through Commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 78
Rick J. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 9 2018 6:42 AM

What is the best way to scroll through the parallel commentaries for a given verse?

I have used the Passage Guide, but it is tedious to click on each commentary and I frequently forget which ones I have viewed.

I like using the arrow keys on the keypad, but then it tends to lose track of the specific verse or verses that I want to focus on.

Please advise.  Thank you.

Posts 90
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 12:56 PM

I had a similar problem myself, I was advised that you can use the Multiple Resource Feature....with a bible as the main, and a commentary as the multiple resource. Any moving around in the resource will not move the bible, however moving in the bible will move the resource.

It does have a few limitations such as the locator bar not being available for the commentary. If you link multiple tabs, each with the same bible, but each with a different multiple resource commentary, moving the bible in one, will move the commentary in all other tabs, but again the bible will remain static if any of the commetaries are scrolled through. Switching tabs is then quite similar to just switching commentaries, as the bibles are at the same linked location.

Takes a little to get setup nice, but nice saved layout.

Hope this helps

Posts 90
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 1:09 PM

Sorry this will not work for the arrow keys, but it does work well if  you have a set of resources you specifically like to look through....Ctrl-Tab will shift to the next tab.

Having the ability to link a resource tab with a 'Follow' link similar to the Explorer feature would be very nice for this problem, hopefully in the future maybe.

Posts 25627
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 1:46 PM

To view Parallel Resource sets:

• Click on the Parallel resource sets drop-down on the resource toolbar.
• Select the pre-built All parallel sets, or a user-defined collection (see Note below), by clicking on the corresponding column header.
• Click on a resource in the drop-down list to open that resource directly.

Verbum Help (Bellingham, WA: Faithlife, 2016).

• Right arrow — Navigate to next parallel resource
• Left arrow — Navigate to previous parallel resource

Verbum Help (Bellingham, WA: Faithlife, 2016).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18332
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 1:56 PM

Use Link Sets. Open your Bible on one side of your layout and several commentaries that you want to check out in multiple tabs on the other side. Set them all to the same Link Set. Now as your scroll verse by verse in your Bible, the commentaries will scroll together to the same verse. You can view all the commentaries in order by using Ctrl+PgDn to go to the next tab and cycle through them all that way. (This is the keystroke on Windows; not sure what it would be if you have a Mac.)

Posts 222
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 5:13 PM

Rick J.:

What is the best way to scroll through the parallel commentaries for a given verse?

I have used the Passage Guide, but it is tedious to click on each commentary and I frequently forget which ones I have viewed.

I like using the arrow keys on the keypad, but then it tends to lose track of the specific verse or verses that I want to focus on.

Please advise.  Thank you.

What I do is start with the quick layout: Bible + Commentary.  That links my preferred Bible with the commentary which is first in line of my prioritized commentaries.  To scroll through the commentaries, click somewhere within the text portion of the commentary.  Then, you can use the right and left arrows to scroll through commentaries.  They will appear in the order that you prioritize them.  You can do the same for the Bibles.  Click in the text area of the Bible, and the right and left arrow keys will flip up the next Bible in the list. 

It is quick, and allows me to work through many commentaries, and see different readings of the different translations with minimal work.  

Blessings, 

Kevin

Posts 78
Rick J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 5:42 PM
SeeHisFace, Thank you. I have tried the Multiple Resource Feature and it does not seem to do what I want. It works well with one commentary linked, but I am not able to scroll through all the commentaries for the linked passage. When I try to scroll it changes to a different Bible version and I lose the commentary until I go back to the Bible that I had open when I set up the Multiple Resource.
Posts 78
Rick J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 5:53 PM

Rosie Perera and Kevin Olson:

Thank you for your suggestions, but I believe that is the way I have been doing it.  It works OK, but when one of the commentaries has a different verse range than it resets the Bible and future commentary scrolls to that.

For example, today I was looking at Acts 21:23-24 and the first Commentary was the Baker New Testament and it only had changed the verse to Acts 21:23. The next few scrolls were OK, until I got to the Lexham Textual Notes which had Acts 21:22-25 and the Bible the set to Acts 21:22. The next commentary was The Message of Acts which covered Acts 21:18-26, which reset the Bible again.

Posts 78
Rick J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 6:03 PM

Hi MJ,  Thank you for your suggestion, I do not understand though, could you please attach a screen shot?

Posts 25627
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 6:59 PM
  1. The icon // is used for parallel resources. Click it and some options will show.
  2. This is my collection of Morris Proctor critical commentaries. The check mark shows that this is the set I currently have selected i.e. I clicked on the heading line.
  3. This is an automatic collection of all parallel resources for Sirach in my library.

Having set my parallel resources set, I simply hit the right arrow and my display moves to the next parallel resource (next commentary). The panel has to be the active panel for this to work.

the left arrow serves as the prior commentary; right arrow as the next commentary

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 56
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 8:21 PM

I think the power lookup tool would be the most effective if there were some improvements to the tool.

1. Allow collections to be selected so that for example all you study bible notes would be listed 

2. Allow reading view with columns

3. Allow word selection to be highlighted so that a word of phrase can be easily seen across commmentaries.  

This way you could see more commentaries on just the passage you are studying.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS