Logos 7 Slow at Startup

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 67
Mike Cahill | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 12 2018 6:37 AM

Logos 7 is really slow at startup on my rather new computer - how can I make it work faster for me? 

MC

Posts 12710
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 6:56 AM

We'll need a bit more detail to help — in particular, full diagnostic logs.

But also, are you starting to a blank workspace, the home page, or a specific layout? If the latter, what does that look like. And how slow is slow?

Posts 26343
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 6:56 AM

The first step would be to provide more details, including logs. What are the specs on your computer? What kind of drive? See my signature line for instructions on logs. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 67
Mike Cahill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 7:35 AM

Okay, I'll look into logs - sounds a bit intimidating. How slow is slow - so slow that when I open it I can't even get in a bible so I just pull out a paper copy - slow enough that I don't want to use it because it moves at a snails pace and I have other things to do. I know we can get it working faster. I don't have an SSD on this computer, maybe that would help

Posts 20583
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 7:36 AM

Mike Cahill:
I don't have an SSD on this computer, maybe that would help

This does seem to be the major factor in increasing performance.

What specs do you have on your computer?

1. Processor
  2. Memory
  3. Rotational speed of hard drive

Posts 2665
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 7:38 AM

Mike Cahill:
Logos 7 is really slow at startup on my rather new computer - how can I make it work faster for me?

Is this a new installation of Logos? Has Logos finished indexing?

Posts 67
Mike Cahill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 7:39 AM

Yep, it has finished indexing. 

Posts 1252
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 9:30 AM

While an SSD is highly recommended, you could rule out some other potential bottlenecks by turning off internet use and loading to a blank layout. You'll find these options in Tools/Program Settings. 

Posts 1252
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 10:02 AM

So... just for the kicks of it I created a layout that I called "Quick Open" and set Logos to open to that. The layout consists of a Passage Guide on the left half (all sections collapsed), and the ESV on the right half. I then turned "Use Internet" to "No" and timed a number of startups. The layout loads and the Bible is scrollable at 11-12 seconds. This is on a late 2013 MBP. I have a SSD of course, but the laptop is 5 yrs old... 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS