Sermon Search criteria not consistent

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Posts 37
Greg Rose | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 13 2018 5:16 AM

I have Verbum 7.  I've been attempting to find sermons by particular people and am finding that search method/criteria doesn't work the same for all authors.  E.g. 

{Label Sermon WHERE Creator = <Biography John Henry Newman>} works but 

{Label Sermon WHERE Creator = "John Henry Newman"} doesn’t work.   

However 

{Label Sermon WHERE Creator ~ Thomas Wood} works and also 

{Label Sermon WHERE Creator ~ "Thomas Wood"} works but 

{Label Sermon WHERE Creator = <Biography Thomas Wood>} does not work

ALSO when I search with just {Label Sermon} I the results (almost 2500 in my library) finds numerous authors for which I can not figure out how to search for individually.  

{Label Sermon WHERE Creator ~Pope Francis} works but I cannot figure out how to structure the query to find sermons by John Paul II or Pope Benedict XVI and numerous other individuals for which I can see there are sermon results in the {Label Sermon} query.

There are some for which neither approach worked, e.g. for Augustine:

{Label Sermon WHERE Creator ~<Biography Augustine>} doesn’t work and neither does 

{Label Sermon WHERE Creator ~"Augustine"}.

I've opened up some of the sermon results in the {Label Sermon} query, right-clicked on the sermon to see who the "Creator" was figuring this is the person I should search on.  As in the case of Augustine though, using "Augustine" didn't yield any results in either of the above to queries.

Finally I noted that for some of St. Thomas Aquinas' sermons the Creator that shows up when right clicking in the sermon actually was the translator "John M. Ashley" and not St. Thomas Aquinas.

I could sure use some help in figuring out how to successfully search for sermons by individuals.

Greg Rose

Posts 23387
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 13 2018 6:39 PM

Greg Rose:
{Label Sermon WHERE Creator = <Biography John Henry Newman>} works

This is the correct format for names.

Greg Rose:
{Label Sermon WHERE Creator ~<Biography Augustine>} doesn’t work

Type Augustine into a Search box. A couple of Bishops should be suggested e.g. selecting one gives me <Biography Augustine of Hippo>

Greg Rose:
I noted that for some of St. Thomas Aquinas' sermons the Creator that shows up when right clicking in the sermon actually was the translator "John M. Ashley" and not St. Thomas Aquinas.

When right-clicking, I'll note that I got  a search for {Label Sermon WHERE Creator ~ "Caspar Huberinus"...} that worked, and I could not get a suggestion for that name in a Search box. Consequently, {Label Sermon WHERE Creator ~ <Biography Caspar Huberinus>} failed.

I'd say that this is a bug, as Faithlife have failed to correct early instances of the format for names.

Greg Rose:
I could sure use some help in figuring out how to successfully search for sermons by individuals.

As above, try to get a <Biography  ....> format from a Search box. Otherwise, try the name in quotes e.g. "Caspar Huberinus", or use part of the name e.g. {Label Sermon WHERE Creator ~  Huberinus} worked, but {Label Sermon WHERE Creator =  Huberinus} failed.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS