Unique Search of Hebrews Nouns

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Joshua Meadowcroft | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 13 2018 10:13 AM

Is there a way to search for every occurrence where a Hebrew noun is used more than once within any two chapter range?

This question stems from a discussion of "yom" in Genesis 1 claiming that if "yom" is chosen to be translated as "day" (meaning 24hr period), than we have to translate it exactly the same way in Genesis 2:4 because the context and meaning of the word has already been established.  This would highlight the idea that there are two separate creation stories in Genesis 1 and 2.   It's argued Genesis 1 is a literal 7-day creation while Genesis 2 is a literal 1-day creation story.

Note:  The posting of this question and message is not to debate the issue.  :)  It's simply to ask about the possibility of a kind of search I'm wanting to do.   I imagined sharing why would help bring clarity to the question.

I would like to find if there are any other places where a hebrew noun is used more than once in any two chapter range and compare how those words are translated in each location.  If there are examples where it's plainly inaccurate to translate them the same, that are in close proximity, and require different translations, than I feel that observation could build credibility and allowance for translating the YOM "day" of Genesis 1 differently in Genesis 2:4.  Perhaps the "yom" of Genesis 2:4 might be able to be translated "era", or "time", or "season".   If this is a possibility than it might strengthen the argument that Genesis 1 and 2 are not different.   Even though technically it can probably be translated differently already, it might be suggested it was only because of personal bias.  However, if an argument can be presented that goes beyond personal bias, that would be ideal.  Most, if not all, Hebrews words have multiple possibilities for translation.  I'd like to investigate if it's reasonable to translate Genesis 2 differently from the logic presented in this post. 

Thanks for the help.

Posts 1207
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 13 2018 1:11 PM

This won't be of use to you on the search, but check out Revisiting the Days of Genesis (not in Logos) which offers, according to one review, "detailed proof that beyômin Gen. 2.4 cannot signify anything other than a literal 24-hour day."

I don't know of a good single source that makes the following point, so I'll try to walk a line carefully and stick with the history, not theology (my doctoral area of study is history of religion and science, esp. creationism, evolution, and interpretations of the early chapters of Genesis)

The intellectual motive driving the interpretation of "day" as anything other than 24 hours is the assumption that Genesis is relating a natural history of the earth, and, therefore, whatever science says about creation is what Genesis must say. The earliest proposal of reading it as seven indefinite periods (mid-1600s) coincided with scientific shifts showing that the earth had to be much older than a few thousand years, and Genesis was accordingly re-understood. "Concordism" may be a useful Logos search term for researching this interpretive assumption. 

Edit to add: Concordism cuts both ways. For example, here's another non-Logos book called The Biblical Cosmos versus Modern Cosmology: Why the Bible is Not the Word of God. The author argues that "the cosmos that is revealed in the Bible is an integral part of the narrative that unfolds in the Bible, so much so that the credibility of the Bible is dependent upon the validity of its cosmology." But this too depends entirely upon the concordist assumption that God and revelation *must* speak in scientifically and historically accurate genres at all times. But, to take the easiest and least disputed non-historical genre, what of parables? NB, I am not arguing Genesis is a "parable."

That said, there is no reason why Genesis must a priori be relating "natural history" and there are good historical reasons to assume otherwise. (A few of John Walton's books in Logos get into this, as well as the interpretation of "day" and both Peter Enns and Kenton Sparks are useful here.) Something that is literal is not necessarily historical/actual.  The days can be 24-hr days, and yet not be describing the natural history of the earth as recovered by geologists, physicists, paleontologists, etc. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 912
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 13 2018 1:29 PM

Ben:

...A few of John Walton's books in Logos get into this... 

Two of the Walton books that might be helpful are:

The first is more academic - the second is more readable.

Posts 17363
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 13 2018 2:32 PM

Joshua Meadowcroft:
I would like to find if there are any other places where a hebrew noun is used more than once in any two chapter range and compare how those words are translated in each location.

Bible Word Study shows other places.

Commentary search idea is:

(day WITHIN 11 WORDS (length,hours)) WITHIN {Milestone <Ge1-3>}

Search can be expanded to include day length NEAR Genesis 1-3 reference

((day WITHIN 11 WORDS (length,hours)) WITHIN {Milestone <Ge1-3>}) OR ((day WITHIN 11 WORDS (length,hours)) NEAR <Ge1-3>) 

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS