Should I move my resources to my micro SD?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 414
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 20 2018 6:32 AM

In a recent thread, someone was advised to move their Logos resources to a micro SD card because it would help speed things up. However, a FL employee advised against it and said that FL only provides support for Logos when it is installed on an internal drive.

So I would like to hear from those who have transferred their resources to a memory card. Have you had issues with getting support when things go wrong? I am not very technical, but I didn't think that storing the resources on a memory card was the same thing as installing Logos on a memory card.

I have a Surface Pro 3.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2018 7:47 AM

Jordan Litchfield:
I have a Surface Pro 3.

A micro SD card will definitely NOT speed things up on a Surface Pro 3. SD cards are slow, often slower than a spinning drive, and very much slower than the SSD in a Surface Pro 3.

Posts 25056
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 5:51 AM

It won't speed up. Indexing will be slower, even for updates, and reliability can be questionable (Windows 'lost' the SD card drive a few times on my wife's Tablet).

Jordan Litchfield:
I didn't think that storing the resources on a memory card was the same thing as installing Logos on a memory card.

If Logos is installed, then you have to move the resources. But you first have to format the SD card with the NTFS file system, because their new location is achieved via an NTFS symbolic link  i.e. their normal location becomes a link to their new location. This is another clue as to why Faithlife will not support you.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1344
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 6:00 AM

Hi Jordan,

I have done that on a previous netbook and would definitely advise against this. As others have mentioned, SD cards are slow and unstable (frequently getting lost and invisible to the Windows OS).

Peter

Posts 414
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 6:12 AM

Thanks everyone. Clearly not a great idea. I appreciate all the advice.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS