Touch Bar Support

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2338
Beloved | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 20 2018 5:46 PM

Does L7 support touch bar? If not it should.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 27781
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2018 7:05 PM

You mean the "touch bar" on MacBook Pro's? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2338
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2018 7:12 PM

yep

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 27781
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2018 7:19 PM

I don't have one, but I am jealous. However, it is my understanding from reading up on "all things Apple" that there aren't many apps which really utilize the full potential of the touch bar. I would also guess that the Logos users who have a MacBook Pro with touch bar fairly niche, making it less likely to happen. Personally, I would rather have some other "mac specific" features implemented (i.e. "dark mode") which would benefit more users. 

If FL were to implement support for touch bar, what specific functions would you want added?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2338
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2018 7:30 PM

JT (alabama24):
If FL were to implement support for touch bar, what specific functions would you want added?

My new toy won't arrive til 10/5/18. I'm an Apple proselyte so your question exposes my ignorance. I thought everything you did with touchscreen you would now do with touch bar.

Posts 4677
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 12:03 AM

Beloved:

JT (alabama24):

My new toy won't arrive til 10/5/18. I'm an Apple proselyte so your question exposes my ignorance. I thought everything you did with touchscreen you would now do with touch bar.

That isn't what has been provided. Think of the 'touch bar' more like customisable F keys. There are no F keys on the MacBook Pro by the way; the touch bar replaces them. I haven't yet installed Logos on my machine but I can say that Proclaim still needs a bit of work on the Touch Bar front.

Pressing the 'fn' key does bring up the F keys on the touch bar display though.

Posts 2022
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 3:10 AM

JT (alabama24):

Disclaimer: I'm also only "jealous," though one of my brothers has one.

If FL were to provide a static list of functions, I think they should replicate the top bar menu items. The beauty of the touch bar is that it's dynamic. Therefore hitting the Tools 'key' would cause the touch-bar to change and display e.g. the top 5-10 tool. Likewise, hitting the Library key would open the library and the top 5 titles would appear in the touch bar. The cursor would of course still be in the library find box as currently, so as you start typing the top 5 in the touch-bar would get updated.

The real game-changer, however, would be if we could customize the items that appear in the touch-bar. A bit like the current shortcuts bar except that we'd be allowed to add things from the context menu. For example, I'd love to have a "Search Lemma in-line" button that would run this command on whatever word my cursor is on.

My suggestion would be to start by simply replicating the top bar (including user-added shortcuts). Next, make it dynamic (responding to the context of what's been selected). Finally, allow users to drag context menu commands to the shortcuts bar (This would keep things closer to cross-platform parity).

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS