DATA BUG: Error in speaker coding

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 25612
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 25 2018 1:05 AM

The coding of Moses as speaker is ill-conceived on two grounds:

• God is the Speaker - God is telling Moses what to say
  • Timing does not permit Moses to be the Speaker - I would assume Moses waited for God to be done before he spoke to Aaron ... at least there is nothing in the text to imply that God speaking and Moses speaking are simultaneous.

Again, I want the coding to reflect the text not an interpretation of the text.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7828
LogosEmployee

MJ. Smith:
God is the Speaker - God is telling Moses what to say

So you're implying Moses said it. Smile

MJ. Smith:
Timing does not permit Moses to be the Speaker - I would assume Moses waited for God to be done before he spoke to Aaron ... at least there is nothing in the text to imply that God speaking and Moses speaking are simultaneous.

There is nothing in the tagging to imply that God speaking and Moses speaking are simultaneous.

Posts 25612
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 1:30 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
There is nothing in the tagging to imply that God speaking and Moses speaking are simultaneous.

True but two speakers, one event ... maybe a responsive reading? Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 24034
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 27 2018 3:49 PM

I don't favour this type of tagging when it comes to knowing what Moses actually spoke. God commanded, but it is misleading to also attribute the words to Moses. In Exodus, Moses does speak what God had earlier commanded, in many cases. Not so with Leviticus 6-7.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS