Why I still use the 2000 version software (DLS v. 3.0)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
c squared b | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 19 2010 6:07 AM

There are 2 features from my original Scholar's LOGOS software I still use, despite having upgraded to Libronix and version 4!

1. the ability to quickly print a pericope (say in Greek or Hebrew) in 2 columns, double or triple-spaced for writing my own translation as a start to studying a passage.  This takes less than a minute in the original software, but so far, I've only been able to duplicate it by copying to a word-processing document and editing that (not very successfully with right-to-left languages!).
  2. predefined workspaces.  Although I do tinker with ones I develop as I go along, the original language workspaces in the old program worked well, and were an excellent base for personalizing.
  3. (an aborted project by Concordia Publishing House (CPH) integrating LDS with lituurgy, hymns, and user-created resources, Word, Witness, and Worship [W^3].)
Posts 18646
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 6:16 AM

c squared b:
  1. the ability to quickly print a pericope (say in Greek or Hebrew) in 2 columns, double or triple-spaced for writing my own translation as a start to studying a passage.  This takes less than a minute in the original software, but so far, I've only been able to duplicate it by copying to a word-processing document and editing that (not very successfully with right-to-left languages!).

It doesn't seem to be too difficult in Word. Copy from Logos, paste into Word. Select all (Ctrl+A). Make it double spaced (Ctrl+2). Make it two-columned (depends on what version of Word you're using, but in Word 2007, it's on the Page Layout tab, click on Columns, and select Two). Voila. Word handles right-to-left languages like a charm.  (A bit tougher if you're trying to mingle R-to-L with L-to-R in the same line. Figuring out where to put the insertion point can be tricky.)

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 6:27 AM

c squared b:

• (an aborted project by Concordia Publishing House (CPH) integrating LDS with lituurgy, hymns, and user-created resources, Word, Witness, and Worship [W^3].)
  • This sounds like it could be very interesting.  wonder why they abandoned it?  (would it be due to EasyWorship, etc?)

c squared b:

• predefined workspaces.  Although I do tinker with ones I develop as I go along, the original language workspaces in the old program worked well, and were an excellent base for personalizing.
  • Not sure why you wouldn't be able to create a layout that looks exactly like your predefined workspace and just save it.  What is the difference between the two that "isn't the same' for you?

So, do you run all three for different things (2.0, 3.0, 4?)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 10
    c squared b | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 6:54 AM

Dan DeVilder:

This sounds like it could be very interesting.  wonder why they abandoned it?  (would it be due to EasyWorship, etc?)

It was sold by subscription; you had to pay a recurring fee to get access to new features, etc.  The idea didn't catch on.

Dan DeVilder:

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to create a layout that looks exactly like your predefined workspace and just save it.  What is the difference between the two that "isn't the same' for you?

It's not difficult to do so: I just never sat down and made a sketch of the original ones, and now I've lost access to them in migrating to a new computer--something to do with the order in which I re-installed the software.

Dan DeVilder:

So, do you run all three for different things (2.0, 3.0, 4?)

I am running 2.0 on my "work" pc [it doesn't have a DVD drive yet...] and use it mostly to print the pericopes and use the W^3 features.  I am planning to reinstall 3.0 on my newer, faster "home" machine (currently running only 4.0).  Printing, and some PBB books, etc. are missed!

Posts 10
    c squared b | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 6:57 AM

Rosie Perera:

It doesn't seem to be too difficult in Word. Copy from Logos, paste into Word. Select all (Ctrl+A). Make it double spaced (Ctrl+2). Make it two-columned (depends on what version of Word you're using, but in Word 2007, it's on the Page Layout tab, click on Columns, and select Two). Voila. Word handles right-to-left languages like a charm.  (A bit tougher if you're trying to mingle R-to-L with L-to-R in the same line. Figuring out where to put the insertion point can be tricky.)

It's not difficult, just time-consuming (especially on a computer that has insufficient RAM to run both LOGOS and MS Office at the same time!).  I must admit, I haven't tried this with Word(R) 2007; in an earlier version, with right-to-left text long lines would wrap in strange ways...

Posts 18646
    Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 6:00 PM

c squared b:

It's not difficult to do so: I just never sat down and made a sketch of the original ones, and now I've lost access to them in migrating to a new computer--something to do with the order in which I re-installed the software.

I am running 2.0 on my "work" pc ...

It sounds to me that you've lost access to the predefined workspaces on your home pc but possibly still have access to them on your work pc? If that is the case, why bother sketching them? Why not whip out your digital camera (assuming you have one) and take a photograph of it. Or do a screen capture and print it.

Posts 10
    c squared b | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2010 5:46 AM

Rosie Perera:

It sounds to me that you've lost access to the predefined workspaces on your home pc but possibly still have access to them on your work pc? If that is the case, why bother sketching them? Why not whip out your digital camera (assuming you have one) and take a photograph of it. Or do a screen capture and print it.

Actually, the workspaces were lost from some previous install of the software, and did not reappear when installing on my 'work' machine.  For future reference, how does one complete a 'screen capture'?

Posts 3767
    Forum MVP
    Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2010 5:05 PM

c squared b:
    For future reference, how does one complete a 'screen capture'?

Some use this software http://www.jingproject.com/  (free and for purchase versions).  I use "Snipping Tool" that comes with Win 7.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS