Is it just me or did our free Faithlife Connect offerings go down the tube this month?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 1 2018 4:14 PM

The FaithLife Classics only had 4 books that were over $20 and there was only one page with 10 total books for FaithLife Originals.

What happened? My subscription is up for renewal next month and if this is what its going to be like now then it doesn't seem worth it.

Posts 106
Kristin Dantzler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 5:04 PM

At least this month the selection seemed very limited.

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 8:05 PM

FL changed it from 20 to 10 selections, due to some unknown customer complaints.

According to FL, it’s apparently better for us. 

Posts 4914
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 9:24 PM

Classics books are generally public domain so I would expect there to be an endless list of books over $20. For your subscription you are getting 2 books each month plus access to mobile ed course(s) and 2% of your purchases back for the year in credits. So overall I think it is still value for money despite some of the limitations discussed here and elsewhere regarding the limited selection of books.

Marshall Harrison:

The FaithLife Classics only had 4 books that were over $20 and there was only one page with 10 total books for FaithLife Originals.

What happened? My subscription is up for renewal next month and if this is what its going to be like now then it doesn't seem worth it.

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 1 2018 9:46 PM

Here is the response FL had posted regarding the change to Originals: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/172042/994021.aspx#994021

Posts 425
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 2:10 AM

Personally very happy with the offerings through FLC this month and found it hard to choose from the 10 titles on offer. Though I'll admit that, once again, Faithlife need to do a better job of telling us about changes in advance. Communication with old-LN/new-FLC users seems to be there Achilles heel. 

I also tend not to work through the classics list by price but rather interest. So long as my choices I cover my subscription cost each month, I'm more than happy. 

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 5:19 AM

I agree on the communications part but maybe I just missed it so the problem is on my end.

What irritates me the most is that you buy into something on a promise then they change it r lessen the value of it. People should honor the original promises. Thinking about what the government has done to military veterans. After your service then they deny any fault in your injuries and lower you benefits.

As a retiree I have to weigh the costs of things more carefully than I did when I was working. now the luxuries I could afford previously just don't make financial sense any more.

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 5:32 AM

Marshall Harrison:
The FaithLife Classics only had 4 books that were over $20

That's not because the list of classics has been drastically shortened. As far as I know, it's the same 3,000+ as it was. But it's because Faithlife have dramatically cut the price of many of their public domain works, but haven't officially communicated that change yet.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 5:35 AM

There was a commentary series on Genesis that I have been putting off buying that was no longer on the list. I've been concentrating on Paul's journeys and writings and the books I've been seeing month after month on the list were missing too.

Posts 425
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 5:48 AM

Mark Barnes:

Marshall Harrison:
The FaithLife Classics only had 4 books that were over $20

That's not because the list of classics has been drastically shortened. As far as I know, it's the same 3,000+ as it was. But it's because Faithlife have dramatically cut the price of many of their public domain works, but haven't officially communicated that change yet.

Now I didn't know that. Must say I welcome the change, what with public domain books available on Kindle for £0.99, it has always seemed like a tough sell to convince folk that tagging and formatting account for the other £19.01... or more in some cases.

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 7:49 AM

Marshall Harrison:
There was a commentary series on Genesis that I have been putting off buying that was no longer on the list. I've been concentrating on Paul's journeys and writings and the books I've been seeing month after month on the list were missing too.

I don't know which books you've been collecting, but there are still 16 commentaries on Genesis on the list: https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=genesis&Resource+Type=Commentaries&Product+Type=Free+titles+for+Now+members&sort=rel&pageSize=30&Bible+and+Apocrypha=Old+Testament&Bible+and+Apocrypha_Old+Testament=Pentateuch&Bible+and+Apocrypha_Old+Testament_Pentateuch=Genesis

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 7:54 AM

LMAM:
Now I didn't know that. Must say I welcome the change, what with public domain books available on Kindle for £0.99, it has always seemed like a tough sell to convince folk that tagging and formatting account for the other £19.01... or more in some cases.

Some prices have gone up as well. It seems like the more expensive ones have become cheaper, and some of the cheaper ones have become more expensive, so there's a greater evenness now. It was mentioned briefly by Phil Gons.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 8:34 AM

Thanks Mark.

I don't remember the name but I would recognize the book cover and I didn't see it in your query results. However, its possible the cover images have changed.  On the down side, I'm an idiot for not knowing the Commentary name and author. On the plus side, there are some good ones in the query results and the prices are very reasonable. I'll have to see about picking some of them up.
Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 8:48 AM

Another big "thank you" To Mark. after playing around with the books in the query you provide I found this little gem I wasn't aware of - https://www.logos.com/product/8531/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-genesis

I think I'll save my money and go that route. 

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 9:14 AM

Marshall Harrison:
Another big "thank you" To Mark. after playing around with the books in the query you provide I found this little gem I wasn't aware of - https://www.logos.com/product/8531/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-genesis

That's an example of one of the collections that seen a huge price decrease. Until recently that was going for $200. So $50 is a great price. Even on community pricing it was $40 and that was back in 2012.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 9:29 AM

Marshall Harrison:

Thanks Mark.

I don't remember the name but I would recognize the book cover and I didn't see it in your query results. However, its possible the cover images have changed.  On the down side, I'm an idiot for not knowing the Commentary name and author. On the plus side, there are some good ones in the query results and the prices are very reasonable. I'll have to see about picking some of them up.

a couple things, maybe helpful, maybe not:

1) I wondered if going through your history on your browser might get you to re-discover your Genesis commentary, because likely you had looked at its page at some point.

2) Up until recently I had been using all of my free classic codes for works by Hegel.  I didn't see him listed (at least after the initial month or two, I think) but I would just search his name, pull up the resource that I wanted, and use the code on check out.  It worked everytime.  So, just thinking as you browse, maybe bookmark ones you want or keep a written list and then look them up when you are ready to get that month's free classic.  

Have a good one!

Thanks, Logos, for these monthly offerings as always!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 1:09 PM

Good ideas Friedrich.

I am a retired software/internet developer. I have taken up  Wordpress development and I live on the internet. My browser history contains hundreds of links a day. Going back would and finding something would be tough.

I did check my Logos wish list and it wasn't on there.

The idea of searching for a title or author and trying the code is a good one. Thanks for the suggestion.

All I remember was that the cover had something like green plants (ferns?) on the cover and there was two or three books to cover the whole book of Genesis. It may have been the book by Donald MacDonald or Candish or Alford.

Anyway the covers of the Classic Commentaries and Studies on Genesis are very similar or maybe I am just confused. But I think that series will work well for me. I'm kind of leaning towards the idea that I was looking at the individual books in the commentary series without realizing it.

So I am happy. God closes on door and opens another. 

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 2:31 PM

Marshall Harrison:
I am a retired software/internet developer. I have taken up  Wordpress development and I live on the internet. My browser history contains hundreds of links a day. Going back would and finding something would be tough.

FWIW, in Chrome you can search your history. I presume you can in other browsers too.

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 2:51 PM

PetahChristian:

FL changed it from 20 to 10 selections, due to some unknown customer complaints.

According to FL, it’s apparently better for us. 

Why in the world would anyone complain? I had a book in sight for this month and now is no longer part of the list.  That’s just another clear example that people will never be happy no matter what.  I wonder how many complaints it took to make this unwanted change. Oh well, it is what it is 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2018 5:00 PM

DAL:
Why in the world would anyone complain?

The list was originally more static. Now, instead of the same 20 books, they change the list. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS