Sets, including Journals, should NOT require pre-publication

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1930
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 3 2018 7:55 PM

This has come up recently with the journal offerings on pre-pub.  When I purchase a set,  for instance a commentary set or journals, I am doing so with the understanding that the set will be completed or continued by Faithlife.  It seems to me that an agreement is implied in the initial transaction.  We were sold on journals as though they would be a regular event, so I invested in them with the understanding that they would be updated regularly.  Now it seems that they are stuck in pre-publication, which creates a vicious cycle where people drop out in order to go other routes which are more consistent, making it unlikely that more journals will be created in a timely fashion.  

Commentary sets are similar; however, they aren't usually a problem, but if I buy a set of commentaries and a new volume comes out, then I regard the initial offering as an agreement that future volumes will become available.  I would not invest in sets through Logos if I had no expectation that they would continue to offer the new volumes.

The Writings from the Ancient World upgrade presents a similar case.  It took forever for the upgrade to make it through pre-publication, and it looked as though my initial investment would leave me stranded with an incomplete set.  The set has moved through finally, but it was precarious there for a while.  

The biggest issue currently is journals.  Faithlife needs to show that they can consistently produce journals, which they have never been able to do, so that people will take the plunge and purchase them.  Requiring pre-pub orders makes people nervous, which seems to run some people off, creating a situation where Faithlife sinks their own ship.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2167
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 8:12 PM

I agree. The journals did come out every year from galaxie until FL decided they could do it better. FL please fix the mess you contributed in making by publishing the journals. 

Posts 476
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 9:15 PM

I have been buying as the journal sets as they have been released.  I was gratefully able buy my initial set second hand, garnering an awesome discount. 

However, for someone to just jump into the current journal set will only get more and more expensive. Making the cost prohibitive. 

I am wondering if the Journal 4.0 sets are just getting too far out of reach for some people. For me to upgrade would be pretty easy, but with my dynamic price it’s cake. 

Maybe if the set was broken up or if set 1.0 could still be offered, it would make the journal sets more attainable And future prepubs or editions more accessible?

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS