The Lost World Series

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5731
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 10 2018 3:54 PM

I now see where Walton is coming from. He is not denying creation ex-nihilo, but rather stating that that’s not really the point of Genesis 1.  He clearly states the following:

”I firmly believe that God is fully responsible for material origins, and that, in fact, material origins do involve at some point creation out of nothing.” Page  42 of his book The Lost World of Genesis. (Mobile device doesn’t copy references).

So, yeah, it makes sense from his perspective, but nothing to worry about IMHO

DAL

Posts 560
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 4:18 AM

Kevin Vanhoozer takes a similar position.  Search YouTube for "Kevin Vanhoozer, From the Literal Interpretation of Genesis to the Doctrine of Literal Six-Day Creation" by the Henry Center, published August 9, 2018.

Posts 4820
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 12:01 PM

Milkman:

I have them as well and found them quite eye opening in some areas. Anytime you can get a world class scholar(s) opening up backgrounds etc., I say go for it. Maybe not as out there as Dr. Heiser (this is not a slam against him. He's opened my eyes to some stuff), but they still make you go, "hmmm, I never knew that before."

FWIW

mm.

I‘ve never read anything from Dr Heiser I’d consider as being out there. Akl he asking of his readers is to stand back from the text, strip away the presuppositions and traditions you normally bring to the text and read the ‘naked‘ bible without those things influencing our reading and to do so in its its ANE context. 

I believe in his own way Walton is doing the same. I can’t fault either of them in their desire to be faithful to the text and to present the text faithfully to their reader. They provide much food for thought whether I agree fully with every point my they make or not.

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS