Creating reference ranges: 4 suggestions and a question

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 19 2010 3:48 PM

In the L4 Beta forum we could make suggestions for future developments. I hope I can do this here ... Forgive me if I'm suggesting things that are already possible and feel free to let me know how to do them!

My main interest here is the ability to effectively create various "search fields" (or "reference ranges" as they're called in the syntax search). Here are my 4 suggestions and 1 question: 

1) Words have different "meanings" and it often makes sense to limit our syntactic analysis of a word to one if its particular meanings. For example, the syntax of ארץ (arets) differs depending on whether it has the political sense of "land/country" or the cosmic sense of "world/earth."  Andersen-Forbes do sometimes tag lexemes according to their different lexical senses, but this tagging is still very rudimentary and inconsistent (as I outlined here). Given the subjectivity involved in such tagging anyway it would be best if we could delimit our own search fields based on our own criteria. Thus, I ask myself (you) the question: How can I quickly delimit a "reference range" (or "search field") for an A-F Syntax Search based on one particular "lexical meaning" of a word?

One method is to go to the Translation section on the Bible Word Study guide and select the gloss I want (e.g. the cosmic sense of "earth," as in Ps 24:1). For "earth" I get 654 out of 2479 hits (according to the NRSV translation, though oddly this second number varies across translations ... ). However, it would take me too long to create a reference range in A-F Syntax Search by manually typing up each individual verse. It would be nice if I could highlight all Bible the references with the gloss "earth" and automatically create a reference field for A-F syntax (perhaps a bit like the option Save as passage list in search results, we could have Save as reference range)

2) Related to this is the awesome new ability to create search fields based on our own highlighting. This potentially means I can create my own database based on my own criteria. For example, I could highlight the Hebrew Bible according to my own theory of sources or genre or function or theme or whatever and then search them accordingly. The problem is that manually highlighting every verse would take too long. It would be nice to have have a command saying "Apply highlighting to ..." with the ability to either type in my own criteria or import a previously created reference range.

3) Again, related to the above: It would be nice if I could specify my reference ranges according to parts of a verse, e.g. Gen 2:3a (before atnach) or even Gen 2:3aα (before the first major disjunctive, probably zaqef or segolta?). Even more awesome would be the ability to search according to the cantillation marks, which would open up Logos to a Jewish audience.

4) A Final suggestion: with all the rich reference ranges we'd be able to create, we'd need a number of copies of the same text. I regret that L4 has one less Hebrew Bible than L3 (Westiminster 4.0 has been disposed of). I'd been tagging that version according to poetic structures. Perhaps we could not only duplicate a tab, but also a resource and save it accordingly (e.g. Westminster 4.2 according to poetics/genre/source etc.)

And now a question: when will A-F Hebrew Bible in L4 be able to display the text according to the fields it had in L3 (Eifeld source, text type, Mowinckel's Jeremiah sources etc.)?

Posts 24920
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2010 12:37 AM

1). Create a Passage List from a search and it automatically is included as a Search reference range

2) Use a Visual Filter, apply the reference range as above and choose your highlight style.

3) Not possible. If you want to make a request for this then preface the title to your thread with SUGGESTION:  or create it in the Suggestions forum.

4) L4 base libraries only support BHS/WIVU. If you had the other BHS bibles in L3 then you would also have them in L4 (I have BHS 4.0 & 4.2).

PhilipESumpter:
And now a question: when will A-F Hebrew Bible in L4 be able to display the text according to the fields it had in L3 (Eifeld source, text type, Mowinckel's Jeremiah sources etc.)?

This information is available via Syntax Search at the Segment level.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2010 6:51 AM

Thanks Dave. I'm on holiday till Tuesday and will respond when I get back.

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 5:06 AM

Thank you again, Dave.

1. This looks like an amazing resource, but it doesn't work for me. As you can see in the image below, I have a passage list where תבל (meaning "world," i.e. meaning 2) appears in every verse and I have attempted to search for segments with this word in it within this list. 

I ought to get one hit for every verse but get none. I've tested this for searches in AFAT itself and with other terms and always get zero returns. 

2. I still can't figure out how to apply visual filter to large chunks of Biblical text. For example, how would I apply a visual filter to Gen 1:1; 4-6 and 8?

In addition to this, I can't search filters as I can search highlighting. This is why I'd like to way to apply highlighting en masse. For example, if I had a text document outlining a series of Biblical verses that I wanted to transform into a search field, I'd like to be able to import them into a passage list and then apply a certain markup to that list in one block. 

3. I didn't realize there was a suggestions forum, thanks :)

4. In L3 I can use a visual filter to be able to see the source divisions, whereas on L4 - as far as I can see - they remain invisible. I can search them, but opening the Pentateuch in AFAT doesn't confront me with text in blue and red etc. Being able to do this would help me follow the OT prof here better!

Posts 24920
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 7:49 AM

PhilipESumpter:
1. This looks like an amazing resource, but it doesn't work for me.

I can get results with a Morph Search on the List but also get none in Syntax Search.  I'll report this bug on the wiki.

PhilipESumpter:
2. I still can't figure out how to apply visual filter to large chunks of Biblical text.

L4 Visual Filter needs a query, so you need to get creative. For example apply highlighting to all verbs and nouns in the Passage List

You can import verses from a text document to a PL via the Add button  and  ....a file.

PhilipESumpter:
4. In L3 I can use a visual filter to be able to see the source divisions, whereas on L4 - as far as I can see - they remain invisible.

Do a syntax Search on Source, save results in a Passage List and create a Visual Filter as above.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2010 7:54 AM

Thanks for your creative ideas, Dave!

A final question: roughly how long do you think it will take before the bug inhibiting syntax searching in passage lists will be fixed? I really could do with this function.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2010 10:35 AM

PhilipESumpter:
A final question: roughly how long do you think it will take before the bug inhibiting syntax searching in passage lists will be fixed? I really could do with this function.

The bug has been reported, however, I don't know yet when it will be fixed. I'll update this thread when I know more.

Posts 24920
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 5:47 AM

Melissa Snyder:
The bug has been reported, however, I don't know yet when it will be fixed. I'll update this thread when I know more.

This bug is fixed in 4.1 beta - for both passages and Passage Lists.

False alarm - it still exists for the search for יהוה Yahweh in Psalms!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS