Application update failed

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1008
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 16 2018 3:51 PM

I've had 3 failures on today's Logos application update. Anyone else?

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2018 4:02 PM

When this has happened to me in the past, it's been caused by an overzealous virus checker (BitDefender in my case).

Posts 1008
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2018 5:54 PM

Evidently you have to wait and let new resources finish downloading, then you have to wait for indexing to finish, then you can install the application update. I've completed the new resources and the indexing. We'll see if it works this time.

Posts 1008
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 3:46 AM

Still not working, submitted log to CS.

Posts 23979
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 4:58 AM

Dale E Heath:
submitted log to CS.

Would you like to upload the log here so we can have a look at it as well?

Posts 1008
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 8:43 AM

Graham Criddle:

Sure, that would be great. Which file?

4885.screenshot9.docx

Posts 1008
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 8:57 AM

Graham Criddle:

Yes, which file? The first one is huge.

Posts 1008
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 9:10 AM

Graham Criddle:

Is this OK? 7318.Logos Log Files.zip

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 10:05 AM

Dale E Heath:

Yes, that's fine.

There are a few errors where the installer can't write the file (lines 2610-2614 if you're interested). That's normally the problem when installation fails, but unfortunately the log doesn't reveal why that is. There are two typical reasons:

1. Your virus checker is interfering.
  2. The file permissions have gone awry.

I would recommend you first check your virus checker's notifications or logs to see if there have been any alerts around the time you tried to update Logos. If there are, you'll need to whitelist Logos.

If that's not the problem, you'll need to fix the file permissions. There are instructions on how to do that here: https://www.logos.com/support/windows/error-writing-to-file 

Posts 1008
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 11:04 AM

Mark Barnes:
There are a few errors where the installer can't write the file (lines 2610-2614 if you're interested). That's normally the problem when installation fails, but unfortunately the log doesn't reveal why that is. There are two typical reasons:

1. Your virus checker is interfering.
  2. The file permissions have gone awry.

Yes, it's the permissions. CS wrote: I apologize for the trouble. I reviewed the logs you provided and there seems to be a web service error when trying to download the update. Would it be possible for you to give us a call at 1(800)875-6467 to troubleshoot the problem? We are open Mon-Sat 6am-6pm, US Pacific Time.

He couldn't fix it and said I should call Microsoft. So now I'm trying to play with it, but I might have to call Microsoft.

It's almost like losing the registry, what fun. I've got the TakeOwnership App that I'm trying.

Posts 1008
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 18 2018 10:01 AM

So, what happened? I have a permissions problem with the Logos folder that I can't fix. Rather than call Microsoft, I'm going to delete the Logos desktop app and reinstall. I've had to do this before.

This may have been caused by a recent Windows 10 update, which is my #1 suspect. #2 suspect is a carryover problem when I cloned my HDD to an SSD instead of doing a clean install like JT suggested.

When I have an abundance of free time, I'm going to bite the bullet and do a clean install.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS