Old Testament Use of the Old Testament

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 10
Rokas | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 18 2018 7:33 AM

Hi all,

I have to write a paper about Deuteronomy's use in the Old and the New Testaments. While there are many resources and tools concerning the Old in the New, what about Old in the Old?

I am basically trying to find quotes, allusions and echos of the Deuteronomy throughtout the Old Testamnet.

Could someone tell me how to go about this?

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 18 2018 8:03 AM

Do you have a harmony called "Synopsis of the Old Testament" in your library?

If you do not have it in your library you may want to search for it on Logos.com. You can enter verses from Deut. and it will display those that have matches in the resource. 

Posts 10
Rokas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 18 2018 8:57 AM

John Fidel:

Do you have a harmony called "Synopsis of the Old Testament" in your library?

If you do not have it in your library you may want to search for it on Logos.com. You can enter verses from Deut. and it will display those that have matches in the resource. 

Hi John,

yes, I do have that, but as you've said it is a harmony. For Deuteronomy, it lists Ten Commandments in Exodus and one verse about Passover in another 3 places in Torah - so it doesn't help much.

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 18 2018 10:04 AM

Good point. Maybe someone else may have a suggestion. I think it would involve searching Bible footnotes for references to Deut.

Not at my computer. Try:

footnote:<Bible = dt>

Searching a Bible with the range set to OT.

Not sure it works on Bible Search, but I know it does when you do a Basic search on the ESV.

Posts 21914
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 18 2018 10:32 AM

Try using the Concordance Tool.

Set it to just include Deuteronomy and then look at the Reference Section

Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 18 2018 12:57 PM

John Fidel:

Not at my computer. Try:

footnote:<Bible = dt>

In a Basic Search use  footnote:<Bible ~dt>

Alternatively, use Cross Reference instead of All Text in ESV or other bible that has Cross Reference. Search for <Bible ~dt>.

If you don't want "earlier" references, then use a range like Joshua-Malachi.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 140
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2018 5:21 PM

I studied this very matter when I compiled the expanded references in my book, The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge. I developed the references from the notes in The Companion Bible and its margins, and linked all the information to a note I placed at Isaiah 1:2. So if you have my resource in your Logos library, it could help locate many references to the Pentateuch in the prophets, for example. Some of these would be to Deuteronomy, as Isaiah 1:2 is, a reference to Deuteronomy 32:1.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2018 6:00 PM

Search in all your resources for deuteronomy NEAR intertextual with Match All Word Forms turned on.

I wish we had the Journal for the Study of the Old Testament in Logos. One of the first hits for me when I did that search was the abstract (in Religious and Theological Abstracts) for an article in JSOT titled "The Song of Moses (Deuteronomy 32:1–43) and Isaianic Prophecies: A Case of Early Intertextuality?" Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 2003, Vol. 28 (1), pp: 33–54. I have access to it through my seminary library. Perhaps if you have to write a paper, you've also got access to JSOT through your school's library.

I got lots of other hits (213 in all). YMMV depending on the size of your library.

Posts 10
Rokas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:13 AM

Thank you guys, this was really helpful. Logos Forums is really a great place thanks to you.

@Rosie

I was able to download the paper, and find some others, thanks

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS