How to search across Logos, Verbum, Noet and Faithlife eBooks

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 12671
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 19 2018 8:38 AM

It's annoying having to search across three or four sites to see if you can buy a book in Logos format. So I created a custom Google search engine to do that for you.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=018444503071280337727:xatvw7vqneu

It's no good for browsing, but if you already know the name of the book you're looking for, it's pretty useful. (Although as it's unofficial, don't rely on it 100%.)

Posts 1238
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2018 9:01 AM

There you go again, Mark, creating something brilliant and useful! Thanks!

How To Get Logs - macOS or Windows

Posts 9208
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2018 9:19 AM

Mark Barnes:
if you already know the name of the book you're looking for, it's pretty useful.

Hm. I checked with everlasting and with "everlasting man" in quotes. The latter is the title of a work I bought from ebooks.faithlife (formerly Vyrso) just recently, and it hits just there and in a remark about its absence in the Collected Works of Chesterton (which shows you can search the former Vyrso store better than its current search engine - kudos for that!) - but the word everlasting should yield titles from probably all the stores. In fact the custom google search brings up obscure hits in the description texts (and those from logos.com mostly and one from verbum.com).

Does this need some tweaking in the search syntax (and if so, how can we do that?)

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 12671
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2018 11:03 AM

A search for “everlasting” without the quotes returned 200+ hits for me.

You can try allintitle:Everlasting for more precision.

Posts 589
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2018 12:08 PM

Coincidentally enough, I made this in the shortcuts app on iOS yesterday - you type in what you want to search and it opens a search on those three sites (3 tabs open at the same time, filtered to show 60 items and hide unread items)

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5ebad3305e8a4717ae7e4b411e2074b8

Posts 589
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2018 12:10 PM

Just looked at yours - mine’s thoroughly clumsy by comparison.

Posts 562
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2018 12:59 PM

Mark Barnes:

It's annoying having to search across three or four sites to see if you can buy a book in Logos format. So I created a custom Google search engine to do that for you.

It's no good for browsing, but if you already know the name of the book you're looking for, it's pretty useful. (Although as it's unofficial, don't rely on it 100%.)

That's great, thanks for sharing:-) 

Trying to be as noble as a Berean , Acts 17:11

Posts 4800
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2018 3:05 PM

Thanks Mark.

Posts 891
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2018 3:50 PM

It's certainly promising but it doesn't seem to be finding everything. I just tested it with an author's name. "Bill Myers" only returns 8 hits but there are far more than 8 of his books available. Cf. the not very helpful list: https://ebooks.faithlife.com/search?query=Bill%20Myers

fwiw this is the same result I get with "Bill Myers" site:https://ebooks.faithlife.com/ so I guess it's Google's fault. Bing gives me 26 results with that same string. All very perplexing.

Posts 8368
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2018 7:16 PM

Mark Barnes:

Great idea. Thanks for sharing this.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 576
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2018 3:48 AM

Thank you Mark, this is very helpful. This has long been a pet peeve of mine. I admit I don't understand the ins and outs of web based commerce, but it boggles my mind that a company would make a customer search through multiple websites just to see if they offer a product. I know there is history as to why they have multiple sites, but I don't understand why they don't make it as easy as possible for the consumer to find what they are looking foor. I appreciate you doing the legwork Mark. 

Posts 43
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2018 1:36 PM

Mark Barnes:
It's annoying having to search across three or four sites to see if you can buy a book in Logos format.

Yes +1

Faithlife----are you listening?

Posts 8958
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2018 1:42 PM

Thanks, Mark. 

I don't really understand why this isn't an option or the default in any of FL's product search engines.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1875
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2018 4:05 PM

That is really helpful.  Thanks!

Posts 2852
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 4:31 PM

This will save me a bit of time. Thanks, Mark

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2852
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 4:33 PM

Ryan:

it boggles my mind that a company would make a customer search through multiple websites just to see if they offer a product.

Yes

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1875
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 5:44 PM

I just keep going back to it and using it.  This is REALLY helpful!

Posts 6
Leesa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2018 4:10 AM

Good efforts. You can find out relevant or required books from enlisted URLs. It might be useful for others.

Hi, My name is Leesa Johnson and I'm living in London for my studies from last 10 years.

Latin Tutor

Posts 1677
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2018 7:05 AM

BillS:

Mark Barnes:
It's annoying having to search across three or four sites to see if you can buy a book in Logos format.

Yes +1

Faithlife----are you listening?

Great idea!  Do it!

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 1648
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2018 7:01 PM

This is high on my 2019 initiatives list. I hope we can solve this in the near future. I'm sorry it's taking us so long to address this.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS