New Notes Tool Coming Soon!

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 12:57 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Steve. Kilgore:
I have created a custom highlighting palette. The names of the highlights show up--but not "look," i.e. the color or symbol. (see image) Which makes using it difficult or cumbersome. And I can't tell if under the new system my highlighting palette will disappear.

I think it's just a limitation on the web app for now. Desktop should still work the way you expect it to. I'll look into this.

In L3, I created many custom colours that I dare not lose.  

I cannot recreate them in L7 [+ I assume not in L8].  To redo, I would need that entire spectrum one could click on to make a truly custom colour.  My two most used highlights come from this custom-custom creation, + must not be lost.

Thank you, Phil, for looking into this issue.

Posts 1998
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 1:25 PM

Michael:

Hi

How does it work regarding highlighting, do I need to set up a notebook called highlighting ,than anything gets highlighted goes into that notebook

Would like to know how you manage highlighting and markups using the new Notes

This post should get you started: https://faithlife.com/posts/1567200 

Posts 297
Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 4:21 PM

Thank you Smile

Mick
Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 9:16 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Into Grace:
Kiyah, you addressed my concern perfectly. I received a teaser email yesterday from Logos with the subject: "Update on the notes tool in Logos" that didn't communicate that this will be (likely) a premium feature. Logos has a history of not being transparent with surprises up their sleeve. I'm not opposed to Logos charging for upgraded notes. Logos incurred a lot of expenses creating this upgrade and they need to be properly compensated to stay in business.

The new Notes tool will be freely available for desktop, web, and mobile in early 2019.

Thanks for the additional info Phil.

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 9:31 PM

Myke Harbuck:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

I'm not trying to do a bait and switch here. I'm trying to walk the fine line of giving advanced notice without pre-maturely announcing the next release.

The new notes system will be available in the near future for upgraders and available in early 2019 for free for everyone else.

Phil, I don't think you could be any more transparent or honest than you are here. Thanks for communicating this so well so many times, both here and in the FL group(s). 

I wasn't accusing anyone of being dishonest. But the key sentence here that maybe should have been included in the announcement for clarity is, "The new notes system will be available in the near future for upgraders and available in early 2019 for free for everyone else." That tells everyone what they need to know without giving an exact date of the next software release. "The near future" is not telling us anything we don't already know.

Posts 1828
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 10:30 PM

Kiyah:
But the key sentence here that maybe should have been included in the announcement for clarity is, "The new notes system will be available in the near future for upgraders and available in early 2019 for free for everyone else." That tells everyone what they need to know without giving an exact date of the next software release. "The near future" is not telling us anything we don't already know.

I appreciate your perspective. As I said, I was trying to walk a fine line. Perhaps I could have said more, but I was trying to avoid saying too much, leading to lots of calls from customers asking us when it's coming. Regardless, we'll make the details really clear very soon.

Posts 46
Willy Arnold | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:18 AM

I can't seem to find the "compact" view anymore. Is it gone?

Posts 21926
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:21 AM

willy arnold:

I can't seem to find the "compact" view anymore. Is it gone?

It didn't make it into the initial release but should be returning - see "Missing Functionality" section at https://www.logos.com/faq/notes 

Posts 46
Willy Arnold | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 8:49 AM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I'm the guy that Phil was worried about, who upgraded to Logos 8 and got a big surprise!  It was a bit unsettling at first, but once I found out I can switch back to the old notes until they work all the bugs out I calmed down a bit.  I am very thankful they left the old system for those of us who are slow to change!  They know their customers well.  :)

Posts 18
Steve. Kilgore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:17 AM

Phil,

The issue of the "look" of highlights and notes is not being visible is still an issue.

On the left, what it should look like. In the middle what looks like. Which is not how the videos or other examples show.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:22 AM

Steve. Kilgore:
On the left, what it should look like. In the middle what looks like. Which is not how the videos or other examples show.

I agree it's an issue. It's fine if you use the provided markup, but it doesn't display when you use custom palettes.

It's not listed on "Upcoming features", but I would certainly hope that the "grey man" icon could be replaced by something that more closely matched the custom palette.

Posts 1998
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 7:31 AM

Mark Barnes:
It's fine if you use the provided markup, but it doesn't display when you use custom palettes.

One exception (if it still holds) is that if you duplicate a stock palette and leave the names intact, it will display accordingly.

Posts 117
Richard Kingston | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 5:36 PM

Are there plans to enable notes in the web version to sync to the desktop version?

Posts 21926
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 11:24 PM

Richard Kingston:

Are there plans to enable notes in the web version to sync to the desktop version?

They should already sync to the desktop if you are using the new Notes Tool. (I've just tested it and it works for me)

If you are not seeing this, please start a new thread in this forum and explain what you are seeing.

Posts 12
Houseonarock | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 6:45 PM

Bells and whistles may impress most here but functionality is what's important. This note system has messed up my workflow. Also many unforeseen consequences.  Like duplicate note icons in resources. confusing note searches etc.   Why would you ship a note system that cannot sort properly? Yes yes, I know it's coming soon.  What was the big rush?  How yes we have to justify the cost of version 8.

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2018 1:59 AM

scooter:
In L3, I created many custom colours that I dare not lose.

Yet another feature of L3 that subsequent versions have fumbled. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to reappear. Simple, highly useful features of L3 seem to be singled out for banishment for the very good reason of "just because". Spend tens of thousands of dollars on Logos? Won't change a thing.

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS