Using Logos 7? Please Make This Important Security Update Now

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 269
LogosEmployee
Glenn Airoldi (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 26 2018 1:30 PM

We’re preparing to make a security update to our servers to protect your data and comply with current regulations regarding Transport Layer Security (TLS). It’s important for you to update your Logos software to ensure full functionality after we make this server update.

How to update Logos

When you are running the Logos 7 desktop app, just type “update now” (without quotes) into the command bar. Be sure you are connected to the internet. The update will install for you. 

What happens if I don’t update?

After we make these changes, some Logos users who have not updated to Logos version 7.18 SR-1 or newer may experience limited software functionality, depending on their operating system and update settings.

To maintain the full functionality of your Logos software and ensure your security, it’s important for you to update to the most recent version of Logos 7. Learn more about manually updating Logos 7.

How to turn on automatic updates

To continue to receive important security updates automatically, ensure automatic updates are turned on. 

Click Tools > Program Settings. Scroll down to the Internet section and ensure that both Use Internet and Automatically Download Updates are set to Yes.

Questions?

See frequently asked questions.

Posts 733
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:41 PM

If we happen to miss this update and we have Logos 7 installed, will there be a rational recovery procedure?  For instance, I have a laptop in my closet that I usually don't use unless I am travelling.  What if I neglected to get it out of the closet before this cutover?

In my case, I just purchased Logos 8.  So, if I drag my laptop out of the closet on November 21 (which would have been my normal pattern), will there be a way to recover from the loss of connectivity to the cloud?

Actually, I lead a small Logos users group.  So I am sure someone is going to get in this pickle and ask me what they should do.

Posts 12936
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:48 PM

David A Egolf:

If we happen to miss this update and we have Logos 7 installed, will there be a rational recovery procedure?  For instance, I have a laptop in my closet that I usually don't use unless I am travelling.  What if I neglected to get it out of the closet before this cutover?

In my case, I just purchased Logos 8.  So, if I drag my laptop out of the closet on November 21 (which would have been my normal pattern), will there be a way to recover from the loss of connectivity to the cloud?

Actually, I lead a small Logos users group.  So I am sure someone is going to get in this pickle and ask me what they should do.

You'll need to manually install the latest version of Logos 7 or Logos 8, which you can do from https://www.logos.com/install 

Posts 1
Kent Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:34 AM

I received an email that explained this, but it also discussed "reindexing" to make the indexes smaller thus faster. I can not find that email and was wondering if you knew the command to make this happen. Thank you

Posts 21355
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:43 AM

Kent Daniel:
but it also discussed "reindexing" to make the indexes smaller thus faster. I can not find that email and was wondering if you knew the command to make this happen

It relates to the bible index - the command you want is "rebuild bible index"

Posts 7862
LogosEmployee

Kent Daniel:

I received an email that explained this, but it also discussed "reindexing" to make the indexes smaller thus faster. I can not find that email and was wondering if you knew the command to make this happen. Thank you

See https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7.19 

Posts 2
Fr. Daniel Hess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:07 AM

First time posting; sorry if this is ignorant or the wrong place: 

I received an email saying "Action needed: Logos Security update" instructing me to install Logos 7 Basic. 

My current version of Verbum is 6.14 SR-5 (released June 2017 I see). 

Here's my concern: when I originally purchased Verbum, I bought Scripture Study+ v5 instead of a "basic" version because, at that time, you needed at least this level in order to have search-phrases-within-text capabilities. 

I later upgraded to v6, at additional personal expense. 

Now, I'm being forced to install a "basic" level software. So, can you clarify that my software will be at least as capable as what I originally purchased? 

I'll refrain from commenting further on the Verbum/Logos pricing pressures and your business model. After spending $800+ just on the software (not adding extra books) I have never felt like I receive anything near a good value for my expenditures. All I want right now is to have at least the level of software that I originally purchased. It sure feels like I'm being moved from a mid-tier package to the lowest-tier. 

Feel free to either email me directly or respond here. Thank you. 

Posts 9758
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:28 AM

Fr. Daniel Hess:

First time posting; sorry if this is ignorant or the wrong place: 

I received an email saying "Action needed: Logos Security update" instructing me to install Logos 7 Basic. 

My current version of Verbum is 6.14 SR-5 (released June 2017 I see). 

Here's my concern: when I originally purchased Verbum, I bought Scripture Study+ v5 instead of a "basic" version because, at that time, you needed at least this level in order to have search-phrases-within-text capabilities. 

I later upgraded to v6, at additional personal expense. 

Now, I'm being forced to install a "basic" level software. So, can you clarify that my software will be at least as capable as what I originally purchased? 

I'll refrain from commenting further on the Verbum/Logos pricing pressures and your business model. After spending $800+ just on the software (not adding extra books) I have never felt like I receive anything near a good value for my expenditures. All I want right now is to have at least the level of software that I originally purchased. It sure feels like I'm being moved from a mid-tier package to the lowest-tier. 

Feel free to either email me directly or respond here. Thank you. 

Your question is normal; Logos/Verbum  is never clear.

They just want you to update the free engine:

https://verbum.com/products/136168/verbum-basic 

It doesn't impact your library, features, or 'downgrade' you ... just an easy way to locate the engine, and protect you.  And, if you do the same in late January 2019, you'll get the free Verbum8 engine ... again, not downgrading you.

Posts 1731
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:43 AM

Fr. Daniel Hess:

I'm sorry we didn't do a better job of making this clearer. Rest assured that you'll not lose anything and we're not trying to strong-arm you into spending money. We want you to retain full access to your entire investment without having to spend a penny.

When you update (to a free level) or upgrade (to a paid level) of Logos or Verbum, you don't lose anything. You're not stepping down in any way. Every update or upgrade is only and always a step up. Updating and upgrading are additive. They don't replace any books, datasets, or features you currently have a license to. So you can safely pick up Verbum 7 Basic for free and retain 100% of the resources, datasets, etc. that you currently have a license to.

Posts 2
Fr. Daniel Hess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:52 AM

Okay, thank you Denise and Phil.

What you're saying makes sense and it is what would be expected. I just don't know upfront what Basic in v7 means compared to the Scripture+ and especially the *software* differences between packages that existed at the time of my purchases. I can't keep track of it all, I just want what I have to work.

I'll proceed and I'll trust that it will all work appropriately. Thank you again.

Posts 4519
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 10:22 AM

Fr. Daniel Hess:
I'll proceed and I'll trust that it will all work appropriately. Thank you again.

Greetings Fr Daniel

Now you have found your way to forums don't forget there are a host of friends here who are more than willing to help you with any questions that you may have regarding the operation of your software.

In fact often the response to questions is usually lightning fast.

I hope all goes well with your upgrade but if anything does go amis, or if you want to learn how to expand your use of Logos we are here for you.

Posts 17684
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 10:24 AM

Fr. Daniel Hess:
I just don't know upfront what Basic in v7 means compared to the Scripture+

Thankful for free Verbum Basic (and Basic) that include "access-only" resources, which are free to use for an unlimited time, but have no effect on dynamic pricing. Also included is Verbum Web App => https://app.verbum.com (and Logos Web App => https://app.logos.com)

Logos wiki => Contents of Discontinued Base Packages includes link to Google sheets => Logos Base Packages that has a Verbum 5 tab with Scripture Study in one column. Appears Pictorial Lives of the Saints may be new to you from Verbum Basic

Thankful for two Faithlife accounts: one has an order total of $ 0.00 that is useful for demonstrating Bible Study capabilities.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS