Tov's Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible Pulled!

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2341
Beloved | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 26 2018 2:51 PM

I'm miffed! Tov's work was pulled without any communication or warning. I had it on prepub and had every intention of purchasing it. I put in a call to my sales person for an explanation as to why I could not find it among my orders and he explained that it had been retired at the request of the author. Someone has again dropped the ball on communication. I should not have to find out this information in this way. Faithlife can you please be more thoughtful when it comes to informing your paying customers about issues such as these. I am very annoyed about this. Customer Service had no answer for this matter and recommended that I post on the forums. What?!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:04 PM

It was downloaded to my Library a week ago (the 19th). I, too, had it on pre-pub. Have you checked your Library?

There was some concern  about the text as FL published it. Perhaps FL withdrew it until they could get it right, perhaps even at Tov's urging.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:07 PM

It would be good to hear from Kyle Anderson or someone else familiar with the issue at Faithlife. At this point I wonder if those who have it shouldn't return it for a refund, or if FL will do that for all of us automatically?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 990
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:10 PM

It's definitely missing from the website at the moment.

https://www.logos.com/product/154827/textual-criticism-of-the-hebrew-bible-3rd-ed

Posts 6593
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:12 PM

That’s odd. My copy downloaded and it’s still in my library.  Maybe you canceled by accident and didn’t even realize you did? Because if you had it on prepub it should’ve downloaded on the ship date.  Up until yesterday it was still being sold for $69 and change.

I hope it makes it back. I’m so glad I pulled the trion it while it was still cheap 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 167
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:12 PM

I have mine in my library, and I can open it.

Posts 2341
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:13 PM

Mark Smith:

It was downloaded to my Library a week ago (the 19th). I, too, had it on pre-pub. Have you checked your Library?

There was some concern  about the text at FL published it. Perhaps FL withdrew it until they could get it right, perhaps even at Tov's urging.

Mark,

From what I'm being told it was retired upon request of the author, so Faithlife has apparently lost rights to the work or so I'm being told. I am in the regular habit of waiting the 30 day grace period to purchase my resources; so I don't have it because I hadn't purchased it yet.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 878
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:16 PM

Mark Smith:

It would be good to hear from Kyle Anderson or someone else familiar with the issue at Faithlife. At this point I wonder if those who have it shouldn't return it for a refund, or if FL will do that for all of us automatically?

The salesperson was correct, we pulled it at the request of the publisher/author.

Everyone who did place a successful pre-order should have received the book when it shipped on 10/20.

I don't believe there is any reason to return the book (though you are free to).

We generally don't send out communication about pulling down live products unless there is a serious issue with something like plagiarism. We do get requests from publishers at times to retire a book (usually because the rights reverted to the author).

That was not the case in this instance. I don't know all the reasons for the request.

If this had been an active pre-pub/pre-order, we would have sent an email communication immediately.

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 2341
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:18 PM

DAL:
My copy downloaded and it’s still in my library.  Maybe you canceled by accident and didn’t even realize you did?

DAL, I don't mean to convey that those who have purchased will lose their copies, but there are some serious issues with the resource that I'm not convinced will be addressed now.

Posts 6593
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:22 PM

Beloved:

DAL:
My copy downloaded and it’s still in my library.  Maybe you canceled by accident and didn’t even realize you did?

DAL, I don't mean to convey that those who have purchased will lose their copies, but there are some serious issues with the resource that I'm not convinced will be addressed now.

I didn’t think you meant that, but you ARE right with the current issue being a serious one.  I hope the author changes his mind.

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:31 PM

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):
I don't believe there is any reason to return the book (though you are free to).

Ben, There was discussion about the level of errors in the text which I referenced above. 

Has FL looked into how serious this is? Does it compromise the accuracy of the text? (I don't have Tov's volume in print so have no way to know.)

This is a strange one. Requested for years. Finally in pre-pub, out just one week ago, and now gone. Wow.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2341
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:46 PM

If this had been an active pre-pub/pre-order, we would have sent an email communication immediately.

Ben,

This resource is still within its 30-day window which suggests to me that it is still active. If you are guaranteeing that all the issues with this text will be addressed I want to exercise my right to purchase a copy.

Posts 6593
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:46 PM

Mark Smith:

There was some concern  about the text as FL published it. Perhaps FL withdrew it until they could get it right, perhaps even at Tov's urging.

Thanks Mark, I totally missed this thread you referenced.   Hopefully those of us who decide to keep our copies of the book will get the errors fixed, even if they (FL) don’t bring the book back.

👍😁👌

Posts 878
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:50 PM

Mark Smith:

Ben, There was discussion about the level of errors in the text which I referenced above. 

Has FL looked into how serious this is? Does it compromise the accuracy of the text? (I don't have Tov's volume in print so have no way to know.)

This is a strange one. Requested for years. Finally in pre-pub, out just one week ago, and now gone. Wow.

Sorry, I missed your link as well. I think you're right that Kyle could weigh in on the issues in the resource. I'll see if he can give you some more information.

Posts 2341
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:56 PM

Mark Smith:

Sorry, I missed your link as well. I think you're right that Kyle could weigh in on the issues in the resource. I'll see if he can give you some more information.

Ben, 

You missed my post. Please respond.

Posts 1055
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:57 PM

Mark Smith:

Yup. It's being fixed right now. I even answered a question about it today. I imagine the update will be available within a week.

Posts 878
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 4:01 PM

Beloved:

Ben,

This resource is still within its 30-day window which suggests to me that it is still active. If you are guaranteeing that all the issues with this text will be addressed I want to exercise my right to purchase a copy.

The product is no longer sellable. Anyone is free to return it within the 30-day return window, but we cannot sell further licenses.

Posts 1001
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 4:04 PM

I am sure this annoys Logos more than anyone else, after all they have put a lot of time and money into a resource that they now cannot sell. 

All very strange.

Posts 990
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 4:35 PM

Mike Pettit:

I am sure this annoys Logos more than anyone else, after all they have put a lot of time and money into a resource that they now cannot sell. 

All very strange.

Yeah. wow. just wow. Didn't Logos get a contract to sell this for more than a week? There has to be more to this story but we'll probably never hear it.

Posts 10328
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 4:43 PM

Beloved:

Ben,

It IS kind of interesting. It refused to download to my fully updated PC. When I called a refund the following week, and explained, she said they stopped shipping.  I got my refund, but a nice howdy-do ... I just love Logos. It's like pushing a shopping cart backwards.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS