Package buying tactics

Page 1 of 4 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1001
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 28 2018 4:35 AM

When Logos 7 came out I worked out (too late for most of the denominations) that you saved money by buying packages in individual increments rather than going for the top one.

For instance buy bronze, then silver, then gold etc all the way up to collectors rather than just buying collectors to start with.

The savings were actually quite substantial but it does seem a bit counterintuitive that you should do it this way.

Does anyone else have the same experience?

Posts 544
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 5:05 AM

Yes I did notice it at least sometimes - where I couldn't afford say Gold, I grabbed Silver - and then in a few days some extra money come my way and the upgrade from Silver to Gold was less (allowing for the price of Silver) then it was for buying gold. I think I noticed this at least 3 times. I wouldn't think that this was guaranteed - and given that the prices vary as component prices change, just cause it wored out that way is no guarantee it will the next Wink

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 5:05 AM

I have a medium-sized library (~4600 non-PB resources accumulated over 10 years). I have long speculated on the same theory, but I have not formally analyzed it. My natural tendency is to 'side-grade' here and there to build a library. I'm not a pastor or student, so I have general interests. It has always 'seemed' less expensive that way.

No longer actively posting. Please remind T-Bone to take his meds.

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 5:22 AM

I believe Mark Barnes took a fairly lengthy look at this before and concluded that the best buying strategy was to buy whichever package yields the highest percentage discount first. If I ultimately wanted Collector's, I would look at all the "lower" packages, buy the one with the highest percentage discount, and the see how that impacted the discounts on the remaining "higher" packages on the way to Collector's. Next I would buy the remaining one with the highest discount, then rinse and repeat until I bought Collector's last.

Posts 13372
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 6:37 AM

Matthew:

I believe Mark Barnes took a fairly lengthy look at this before and concluded that the best buying strategy was to buy whichever package yields the highest percentage discount first. If I ultimately wanted Collector's, I would look at all the "lower" packages, buy the one with the highest percentage discount, and the see how that impacted the discounts on the remaining "higher" packages on the way to Collector's. Next I would buy the remaining one with the highest discount, then rinse and repeat until I bought Collector's last.

That’s right: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/129353/840823.aspx#840823

There’s an important caveat. There may be an additional discount that applies to one purchase only (as there was last year when you bought a feature set) if that’s the case, you obviously want to make use of that on your biggest purchase.

Posts 692
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 7:05 AM

Mike Pettit:

When Logos 7 came out I worked out (too late for most of the denominations) that you saved money by buying packages in individual increments rather than going for the top one.

For instance buy bronze, then silver, then gold etc all the way up to collectors rather than just buying collectors to start with.

The savings were actually quite substantial but it does seem a bit counterintuitive that you should do it this way.

Does anyone else have the same experience?

Yes, I suspected that and gave it a test run on several packages. It usually yielded a better discount. Especially when you got an additional discount on other items every time you purchased an upgrade.

I've also discovered a similar savings on the monthly publisher's sales with DP. I saved $150 this month by buying the smaller IVP before purchasing the larger IVP. I reported it to Sales CS, but never got a reply.

There was one instance a few months ago where it didn't work, so I returned the item and then purchased the larger item.

Posts 1001
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 7:19 AM

It makes it difficult to know how to buy when pricing lacks even basic transparency. To be honest I would expect bigger purchases to get bigger, or at least, not smaller discounts.

If logos wants us to push the button on big ticket packages they should let us know the costs of the various options up front.

Posts 3154
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 7:46 AM

Mike Pettit:
If logos wants us to push the button on big ticket packages they should let us know the costs of the various options up front.

That would confuse most of FaithLife's customers.

The rest of us can simply follow Mark's advice.

Posts 661
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 7:53 AM

SineNomine:

Mike Pettit:

That would confuse most of FaithLife's customers.

The rest of us can simply follow Mark's advice.

Well the problem with that is that the sales people always "advise" you to buy the biggest package you can afford to get the most savings. When I bought Logos 6 Platinum the lady on the phone actually told me that it would be more expensive if I bought a smaller package and then upgraded later (which wasn't true in that case, buying Diamond outright would have been more expensive than buying Platinum and upgrading). If the opposite is true and you could actually save money by buying smaller and then upgrading, the sales folks need to be instructed to stop telling people that "going big is cheaper" on the phone.

Posts 3154
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 8:18 AM

Kiyah:
Well the problem with that is that the sales people always "advise" you to buy the biggest package you can afford to get the most savings. When I bought Logos 6 Platinum the lady on the phone actually told me that it would be more expensive if I bought a smaller package and then upgraded later (which wasn't true in that case, buying Diamond outright would have been more expensive than buying Platinum and upgrading). If the opposite is true and you could actually save money by buying smaller and then upgrading, the sales folks need to be instructed to stop telling people that "going big is cheaper" on the phone.

Well, there is a sense in which people save more by buying a larger package than a bigger package--the same way that if you buy one box of noodles discounted from $1.50 to $1.00, you will save less than if you buy three boxes of noodles for $2.00.

The problem is if the sales people don't know that some of the time you can save money by buying a lower package immediately before a higher one. If the sales lady was speaking of the difference between buying small right away and bigger after some sale was over, then she was presumably right. But this is a training problem for the sales manager to handle, not a website problem.

Posts 9105
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 10:08 AM

SineNomine:
The problem is if the sales people don't know that some of the time you can save money by buying a lower package immediately before a higher one.

Indeed, and they want to get through a sales call as expeditiously as they can, so simple single sales are easier than more complicated staged sales.

This is another example of why it can be beneficial to the user to visit the Forums!

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2216
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 10:14 AM

I do not think FL is purposely not being transparent as much as they cannot test the pricing system as thoroughly as their thrifty customers. Reviewing the forums and exerting patience will usually provide the best buying strategy.

Posts 1001
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 11:28 AM

John Fidel:

I do not think FL is purposely not being transparent as much as they cannot test the pricing system as thoroughly as their thrifty customers. Reviewing the forums and exerting patience will usually provide the best buying strategy.

The hidden secret is that usually the bigger the package the smaller the discount.

The problem is that the only way that you can find out is buy buying a lower level package and seeing how much the price of the higher level package falls.

To be clear this is not an isolated pricing blip, rather it is a pricing policy decision taken by Logos which works because of the lack of transparency. I know this because I worked my way up every base package buying in increments last time (apart from for the general package which I foolishly just brought in one go) and for every one it was cheaper to buy one tier at a time.

Posts 9105
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 11:35 AM

Mike Pettit:
and for every one it was cheaper to buy one tier at a time.

And FL is feverishly correcting this mistake at this very moment. Storm

We will have to wait to see if the L8 packages follow the same pattern.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1001
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 11:38 AM

Mark Smith:

Mike Pettit:
and for every one it was cheaper to buy one tier at a time.

And FL is feverishly correcting this mistake at this very moment. Storm

We will have to wait to see if the L8 packages follow the same pattern.

Absolutely, its all part of the fun!

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 11:48 AM

I noticed that with 6 it didn't make a difference, with 7 it benefited us to buy incrementally (unless you called sales... then they gave you the best deal without having to horse around). BUT prior to 6, it cost you a little more to go the incremental route. Remains to be seen how this will go.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 9105
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 11:50 AM

Mike Pettit:

I really hoping the quality of the packages improves this time around. I admit to being a bit disappointed with the L7 offerings, so here's to better things sooner than L8er.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 802
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 12:35 PM

Mark Smith:

Mike Pettit:

I really hoping the quality of the packages improves this time around. I admit to being a bit disappointed with the L7 offerings, so here's to better things sooner than L8er.

I agree. It seems that including many weak resources has some justification if you have an integrated library so that when you do a search or passage guide or factbook or something like that, you get lots of hits without really working. The problem, though, is that many, many of the hits are ones I have to reject because the resources' contributions are PD works of no real historical significance, or contemporary works of no real credibility. I'm willing to pay more for L8 packages that have fewer, but better, resources.

Posts 2377
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 1:12 PM

Also, there used to be various coupon codes "buy a base package, and get resource xyz free".

If you buy multiple increments, you might be able to get multiple free books too.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 13372
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 1:16 PM

Mark Smith:

Mike Pettit:

I had some correspondence with FL staff a few months ago, expressing exactly that view. I’ve been reassured that they’re focusing on valuable reference books, such as commentaries and Bible dictionaries — and the draft lists of resources I saw were definitely a step up from L7.

Page 1 of 4 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS