What has happen to Scalings

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1164
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 8:31 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

LimJK- I adjusted to your settings (80/120) looks better, tried 80/140 but things got way out of whack again- but still find some resources are requiring me t use the magnification in the resource to increase the font- not all- but enough to be annoying.

Whyndell,

I am glad there is some improvement with the scaling workaround. I have tried the various permutations and found the Program scaling 80%:Content scaling 120% the most optimal.

I also discovered some resources do not respect scaling, such as Lexham Bible Guide Gen 1-11, in the second screenshot.  I think the rest of the other Lexham Bible Guide Volumes are OK.

I would also be happier if Logos just show Link set A of the active Panel. Better still show the Link set information exactly like Logos 7 and earlier.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Mid 2014 2.5GHz RAM:16GB SSD:512GB macOS Mojave 10.14.1 | iPhone X iOS 12.1

Posts 43
Willy Arnold | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 12:47 AM

I agree with Whyndell.  The new proportions are very hard to get used to.  Everything just seems so . . . different.  I would be so nice to have the look and feel I was accustomed to in L7 with the new L8 engine under the hood!  :o)

Posts 614
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 8:43 AM

Christopher Kou:

Same here.  I tend to keep a LOT of resources open when studying a topic, and I used to be able to click through different resource tabs at the top of a frame without having to scroll left and right.  Now with the size scaling, it makes it much less convenient to navigate.  Especially since I can't just see at a glance what resources are open in each frame.

I'd like to be able to scale my tabs back down.  At least have the option.  I looked in the program settings to no avail.

I'm in the same boat. The top of the tabs/resource panels are ridiculously big - as if they're designed for a touch screen. Overkill if you don't want a touch screen / have a mac.

Posts 12
David Meyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 9:56 AM

Agreed this is unusable and should be addressed. I can scale my program scaling to work for me on all screen resolutions. However I have never worked with software that increased the table of contents along with the open resource. Its always been easy to quickly adjust the resource font with the slide bar. Doing that now causes the table of contents to be ridiculous. They should not be tied together. The notes program has the same problem … maybe worse, because the toolbars increase with the note fonts.    

Posts 644
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:08 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

The content and program scaling's seem out of whack-  definitely 100% is not 100% looks much higher viewing resources.

Changing the scaling certainly made the interface look a lot better for me. I had to drop the program scaling down to 80% and then bump the content scaling up to 120%. Now it actually looks good. Looks cleaner, fonts look less fuzzy and with less crowding, it's like a whole new program when you adjust the scaling.

Clearly this is a work-around and the scaling issue needs to be addressed. It's odd for me to have to adjust the scaling to that degree to make the interface usable (it literally wasn't usable before). But at least I can worry less about the interface and more about actually exploring all the new features.

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 6:27 PM

Also noticing the issues with scaling and I wanted some feedback on this:

Certain resources are changing, while others are not.  For example, I have my ESV open next to my Mark "Pilar New Testament Commentary." I have set my content scaling to 100% and program scaling to 90%.  When I change the "content scaling", the entire program changes including my commentary, but the ESV does not change.  When I change the "program scaling", everything changes, including the ESV text size, but the commentary text size does not change with it.

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 6:30 PM

Brad:

Certain resources are changing, while others are not.  For example, I have my ESV open next to my Mark "Pilar New Testament Commentary." I have set my content scaling to 100% and program scaling to 90%.  When I change the "content scaling", the entire program changes including my commentary, but the ESV does not change.  When I change the "program scaling", everything changes, including the ESV text size, but the commentary text size does not change with it.

I believe I figured it out.  Inside the windows, I had different text sizes selected.  Is there a way to change this by default?

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:14 AM

Brad:

If you have changed any individual resource so that it’s no longer at the default, then changing the default will have no effect on that resource. It will retain its custom setting. As far as I know, you can’t reset all resources back to the default. You have to change each one manually.

Posts 1164
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 4:26 AM

Mark Barnes:

If you have changed any individual resource so that it’s no longer at the default, then changing the default will have no effect on that resource. It will retain its custom setting. As far as I know, you can’t reset all resources back to the default. You have to change each one manually.

Mark,

Thanks ... that resolved the issue of one of the Resource I have, that was not responding to scaling  I mentioned in an earlier post above. ThanksSmile

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Mid 2014 2.5GHz RAM:16GB SSD:512GB macOS Mojave 10.14.1 | iPhone X iOS 12.1

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 7:19 AM

Personally, I like the way 90/110 looks.  However, there are some visual artifacts in the menus when the program is scaled to 90%.

Posts 7943
LogosEmployee

Russel Taylor:
Personally, I like the way 90/110 looks.  However, there are some visual artifacts in the menus when the program is scaled to 90%.

This was reported as a bug in this thread, which you can follow for updates: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/174214.aspx 

Posts 42
Christopher Kou | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:18 PM

Everyone talking about program scaling: are you on a MacOS?  I don't think Windows 10 has program scaling like that, right?  So this is a workaround only on the Mac version.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:21 PM

Christopher Kou:

Everyone talking about program scaling: are you on a MacOS?  I don't think Windows 10 has program scaling like that, right?  So this is a workaround only on the Mac version.

Program Scaling is a Logos feature that works on Windows. It's in Program Settings.

Posts 2033
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:22 PM

Tools | Program Settings | Accessibility

Posts 42
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:26 PM

I was thinking of upgrading but this thread has made me cautious.  Can someone with Logos 8 using small screens comment on the change of the position of the parallel resource sets icon.  In Logos 7 it is on the left of a resource window, so as the window contracts it is visible when no other buttons are (e.g. interlinear).  In Logos 8 it looks like it's on the right so I fear will disappear rapidly, making narrow windows like the one below of little use.

Can someone advise on this?

Posts 2181
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:36 PM

Hi Cromwell,

I just reported this as a bug here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/174324.aspx 

Edit: I did change program scaling to 90% and it is much better with 4 panes. So you may need to change program scaling and then adjust content scaling up. Here is a screenshot with 4 panes. Hopefully the Bug will not require scaling adjustments as a work around.

Posts 42
Christopher Kou | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:39 PM

Mark Barnes:

Program Scaling is a Logos feature that works on Windows. It's in Program Settings.

Ah, thanks!  Much better.  Still would like to be able to scale just the tabs.  But a great improvement.

Posts 42
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:43 PM

Thanks, John.  That's what I feared.  Even were the ability to scroll across added, to me this is a major reason not to upgrade.  I click on this icon dozens of times a day and don't want to have to scroll.  I can't understand why it would be moved from the most accessible to the least accessible position.  I'd be interested to hear the rationale from Faithlife.

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS