Logos 8 speed

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 820
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 29 2018 4:55 PM

I don't care about any new features. I just want Logos fast. Is Logos 8 any faster or slower?

Posts 3116
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 4:58 PM

Most people are reporting faster.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 4:58 PM

Josh Hunt:

I don't care about any new features. I just want Logos fast. Is Logos 8 any faster or slower?

Logos 8 is faster. Noticeably faster at startup and search. (I still wouldn't call it fast, though!)

Posts 3116
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 4:59 PM

Mark Barnes:

Josh Hunt:

Logos 8 is faster. Noticeably faster at startup and search. (I still wouldn't call it fast, though!)

True, fast is a relative term.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 18
LogosEmployee

Good question, Josh. Installation is 2x faster, and searching is up to 10x faster than Logos 7.0.

Posts 1010
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 5:03 PM

I am not sure if indexing is quicker but it seemed like it was to me, it fairly zipped through a 4gb download.

Posts 820
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 5:09 PM

the indexing process is huge. it seems every time a buy a book--and I buy a lot-- it slows the whole computer to a crawl while it is indexing. 

Posts 29
Orville J Erickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 5:21 PM

I would echo this - on both my PC desktop (i7-7700K, 16GB RAM, 512GB NvME SSD) and my Macbook Pro (2018 Core i5, 16GB RAM, Touchbar) it was noticeably faster at install, loading, indexing and searching. And by noticeably I mean I sort of went "Wow - this is much better!" Smile

Posts 2200
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 6:19 PM

Faster.  Yes!

Posts 8195
LogosEmployee

Josh Hunt:

the indexing process is huge. it seems every time a buy a book--and I buy a lot-- it slows the whole computer to a crawl while it is indexing. 

The single best improvement you can make to your system for indexing speed is to install Logos on a fast SSD.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 7:43 PM

Josh Hunt - for me it was faster by a lot on one machine, and feels about the same on the other.

The biggest improvement was on my i7 8th gen laptop (with a Fast SSD) (30 seconds, down to 7-10 to start).

The one that is about the same is my desktop - Ryzen 7 with the fastest I could get SSD at the time.

Indexing seems a good bit faster, but I didn't run any comparisons. Full re-index on the desktop took a couple hours with ~17000 titles. The last time I re-indexed on my desktop (full re-index) I kicked it off before bed, and it was done at some point before morning.

an SSD of a decent size can be picked up for around 100$. It will probably cost you about that again to have your operating system moved over (unless you have a guy for that at your church or can do it your self).

All in all I'm glad to be running L8, I like it better, its more responsive, and I think is an improvement. Especially on my laptop, which frequently feels sluggish with other applications.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 700
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 7:46 PM

It feels faster to me. Panels open faster. And indexing seemed faster too (although I didn't time it).

The software downloaded 249 new resources, many of them commentaries and the indexing didn't take long at all. I'm not sure if I did the install process right but mine downloaded the new books and indexed them first. I restarted, then it downloaded the software updates and indexed again. Maybe I restarted too soon, I don't know. But even though it indexed twice it still didn't feel like it took a long time. Especially considering all the new datasets that were added.

The guides feel faster. I haven't done a ton of searching yet. I've been going through a workflow. Everything loads in the workflow instantly when you expand a section, and there's a ton of data in the workflow, at least in the one I'm using (Inductive Bible Study).

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 8:15 AM

It seems to index faster than before as well :-) 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS