Logos 8 v 7 - Whats missing?

Page 2 of 7 (129 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 128 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:54 AM

MJ. Smith:
Only for a portion of the customer base Wink

Would the suggestion I made in this thread work for the entire customer base, or are there ways you would recommend it be modified?

Posts 8084
LogosEmployee

Mark Barnes:
I want to do so because I use a different Bible in church/academic/devotional contexts.

Matthew:
For my own personal study I prefer Bible A. One congregation I attend prefers that reading and teaching be done from Bible B. Another congregation I visit prefers that Bible C is used. When I go to a nursing home, they prefer Bible D.

Do you find that you're changing just your preferred Bible, or would there be other prioritised resources you'd want to change at the same time (e.g., a different top commentary set, top lexicon, etc.)? That is, is changing preferred Bible sufficient, or would you like to switch in a whole new set of prioritised resources?

Posts 4688
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 4:48 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
That is, is changing preferred Bible sufficient, or would you like to switch in a whole new set of prioritised resources?

Hijacking the thread (partially sorry)  Wink

As a journeyman preacher I, like a similar poster in this thread, have to contend with congregations with differing translation preferences.

When I prepare a service it would be nice to have a simple switch that allowed me to change the preferred bible in both Logos and Proclaim to that of the congregation.

I don't need any other resources switched because no matter what they choose I rely on my own preference for preparation and then make allowances where necessary to accommodate the actual bible they will be reading.

Posts 642
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 5:00 AM

That is, is changing preferred Bible sufficient, or would you like to switch in a whole new set of prioritised resources?

It would be nice to have a "walk me through my prioritization" guide, so there it walks us through like the Bible Study walks us through that step by step.  

Step 1- Pick your top 5 Bibles in order from most preferred to least.  And it populates a list of your current Bibles to choose in order.  When you click the first one, it moves it over to the Top 5 Box which is beside the list.

Step 2- Pick your top 5 Commentaries for: 1. Genesis, 2. Exodus, 3. Leviticus...etc.

Step 3- Pick your top 5 Bible Dictionaries in order of highest preferred to least.

Step 4- Pick your top 5 Encyclopedias...

etc...

Posts 2091
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 5:07 AM

GaoLu:
2.  My habit would be to quite often change preferred / prioritized Bible.  A quick way to do so would be ever so useful.

Can you explain why this is a common "habit" for you? Knowing how you want to use the software may help us design better features for a future release.

Sorry to be late back to the table, but we have some world-time difference.  

My habit is preparing lessons, sermons, classes in a variety of Asian languages and to a wide range of audiences.  I often work with translators and walk through this or that language for a series. I have to consider what translation my audience uses and its background TR-based (as many Asian language Bibles are--and locals feel deeply about whatever they have)  or newer eclectic texts.  Sometimes I have to go back and forth and must be able to explain variances. I have to know what their Bible says and on what Gk text it is based-so I don't wander off quoting something, leaving my translator and congregation bewildered at my heresy. 

KJV is what I cut my teeth on and memorized most from. It is genetic.  It is still home-base.  Other times, however,  I use wordings from the NKJV because the English wordings are clear and yet fairly true to the TR so I don't get too far afield from a TR-based Asian language. Other times I lean way off into the NIV or NLT for ways to say things for translators with varying English proficiency.  I like NASB and ESV and LEB to keep my words closer to par since my Greek is weak and my Hebrew almost nil.  Then I have other-language  Bibles in Logos or as PB's that I use.  Each takes its turn being my most favored version of the day.

This is getting long and dry.  To cut to the chase, I spend time working in one Bible and want everything working in that Bible (see Mark Barnes and Mike Binks above).  Then I switch next week, sometimes the next day, to another Bible and do the same there.  My case might be extreme and not a good sales pitch for the Logos population at large, but that is my case and the explanation for my odd habits.  Workarounds work fine too, but it never hurts to ask for an idea I think might be personally beneficial!   

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 5:24 AM

Michael S.:

It would be nice to have a "walk me through my prioritization" guide, so there it walks us through like the Bible Study walks us through that step by step. 

What would be really useful, especially for new/inexperienced users, would be a set of questions about tradition and preferences. I think an approach like this would work for most resources types except of course Bible translations.

Main issue that I see would be avoiding language in the qualifying questions that might be perceived as negative i.e. Conservative vs Liberal. Some options could be based on a ranking so for tradition I would probably rank Pentecostal as 1 an Methodist as 2 because of the holiness tradition which in part formed the character of the tradition I'm part of. For other questions I think a sliding scale would work so for example I like a healthy mix of new and old publications whereas others might be happier with more older works. 

Odd as it seems to those of us who have embraced the wealth of material available in Logos and know how to curate for ourselves many I have spoken to over the years are intimidated by this and would love a way of creating a "safe zone". Never really thought about this before but prioritisation seems like a way of addressing this concern.

Posts 13370
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 9:06 AM

@Graham,

Default prioritisation is already different for Verbum and Logos, so the principle is already there.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 9:31 AM

Mark Barnes:

@Graham,

Default prioritisation is already different for Verbum and Logos, so the principle is already there.

So the next logical step, which sounds like it might be easy to implement, could be the ability to switch based on Tradition and Package Level.

Personally I think I'll always prefer decide for myself but a quick start for Prioritisation would probably help sell the idea and encourage users to dig deeper. If a list of possible Prioritisation Sets could be built from the library contents that would be really quite neat and switching between sets would very quickly demonstrate the benefits.

Was just looking to see if there's an option so Save and Restore Prioritisation settings, can't see anything but that would be a great feature as well and potentially useful when trying to study aspects of theology from different perspectives assuming that your library is diverse enough of course.

Posts 642
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 9:33 AM

Mark Barnes:

Mark, when I upgrade, will I have to redo my prioritization, or is it kept from the way I have it set now in L7?

Posts 22095
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 9:37 AM

Michael S.:
Mark, when I upgrade, will I have to redo my prioritization, or is it kept from the way I have it set now in L7?

L7 prioritisation will be maintained after doing the L8 upgrade.

Posts 990
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 9:38 AM

Michael S.:

Mark Barnes:

I'm not Mark, but your prioritisation will be preserved! 

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:09 AM

Well.. hopefully I wont regret it but have pressed the button.. let the learning curve begin.. hopefully I wont find too many gaps to my workflow... presumably it wont override 7 install and will reindex everything anew?

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 59
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:09 AM

Michael S.:

Step 1- Pick your top 5 Bibles in order from most preferred to least.  And it populates a list of your current Bibles to choose in order.  When you click the first one, it moves it over to the Top 5 Box which is beside the list.

Step 2- Pick your top 5 Commentaries for: 1. Genesis, 2. Exodus, 3. Leviticus...etc.

Step 3- Pick your top 5 Bible Dictionaries in order of highest preferred to least.

Step 4- Pick your top 5 Encyclopedias...

etc...

I too would like to see some sort of priority picker for library resources. Bibles, commentaries and dictionaries and more. Having the ability to pick  the top five by type and resource. 

I would also like to see it on the tool bar instead of a part of the library for easier and quicker access.

Posts 13370
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:36 AM

DominicM:
Well.. hopefully I wont regret it but have pressed the button.. let the learning curve begin.. hopefully I wont find too many gaps to my workflow... presumably it wont override 7 install and will reindex everything anew?

It will overwrite your L7 program, but not your L7 data/resources. Some new datasets will download (and a few resources) and that will trigger an index, but it won't be a full re-download and re-index.

Posts 18010
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:54 AM

Graham Owen:
Help is in serious need of the promised update being delivered.

Looking forward to Help resource update. Thankful for new Help Center having many Logos 8 videos and articles (Training and Support) so Logos wiki now includes many links => https://wiki.logos.com/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:59 AM

thx Mark, but is downloading 1.6GB so suspect that may be incorrect

Posts 13370
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 11:24 AM

DominicM:

thx Mark, but is downloading 1.6GB so suspect that may be incorrect

If you've bought a large library, that figure may be reasonable. If all you've bought is the features, then something is wrong.

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 11:41 AM

just the full feature set :( sadly

Posts 207
LogosEmployee
Daniel Di Bartolo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 1:33 PM

Graham Owen:
Feedback seems to suggest that Preferred/Default Bible is gone as a concept and has been merged into Prioritisation. I think in reality this has been the case for some time and that under the covers the Preferred Bible selection paced your selection at the top of the Prioritisation list.

Hi Graham, 

Let me shed a little light on our roadmap here. 

We're working on a comprehensive overhaul of how we onboard new users into Logos. When they set up Logos, users will be asked to choose their preferred Bible, possibly their preferred commentary, among other configurations/customization questions. In that sense, we'll be addressing the needs of a new user, helping them set that up. Aiming to release this in early 2019.

In terms of providing a quick way for users to change their preferred Bible from the Homepage, I'd love your feedback on a solution we're kicking the tires on. 

• We're considering making a command to "Set preferred Bible to____" in the Go Box, which you could then save as a shortcut. That way, you could set up several shortcuts to change your preferred Bible with just a click. Do you think that would meet your needs?
Posts 990
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 1:48 PM

Daniel Di Bartolo:

In terms of providing a quick way for users to change their preferred Bible from the Homepage, I'd love your feedback on a solution we're kicking the tires on. 

• We're considering making a command to "Set preferred Bible to____" in the Go Box, which you could then save as a shortcut. That way, you could set up several shortcuts to change your preferred Bible with just a click. Do you think that would meet your needs?

That would work for me! Yes

Page 2 of 7 (129 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS