This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 1:37 PM

Matthew:
I'm just frustrated

Understood.

Matthew:
Why would you do away with corresponding highlights?

Implementation of the new Notes tool has been in beta for quite some time. I really think what FL is trying to do is a good thing. Apparently it is complicated enough that they could not deliver all the former capabilities on time.

You can revert to the old Notes system. I'm not sure, but I believe that will restore corresponding highlights. Check here. That's easier than reverting back to L7.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 75
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 1:49 PM

Mark Smith:

Matthew:
I'm just frustrated

Understood.

Matthew:

Implementation of the new Notes tool has been in beta for quite some time. I really think what FL is trying to do is a good thing. Apparently it is complicated enough that they could not deliver all the former capabilities on time.

You can revert to the old Notes system. I'm not sure, but I believe that will restore corresponding highlights. Check here. That's easier than reverting back to L7.

I followed Levi's link to the notes FAQ and see the corresponding highlights is twelfth on the list of priorities. Who knows how long that will take? I guess what I just don't get is why release Logos 8 until it's ready? Why go through the customer frustration and disappointment that sours what should be a joyous release campaign? Why not wait another six months if that's what it takes to get it right and roll it out with pride? I suspect it's a matter of wanting/needing the Christmas purchase revenue that a Fall release will generate. FL really is an odd mix of brilliance and things that make you scratch your head. I appreciate all your help and advice on this and the countless times I've read your comments and posts! Thanks for giving of your time and knowledge Mark.

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 1:57 PM

Matthew:
Why not wait another six months if that's what it takes to get it right and roll it out with pride?

The way FL has explained it is that their release dates get set a long time in advance. All sorts of things, including staffing, budgets, vacation time, other marketing plans, and so on (virtually most of the life of the company) gets pinned to that release date. If something gets delayed they cannot just slip the release date (especially six months). I get that. You cannot run a business as big as Faithlife's from month-to-month.

The result is what we always see with a new major number release: not everything is as ready as FL (and we) would like it to be. It is stable (for the most part), so people aren't dealing with what beta testers have to deal with. But it is likely incomplete.

The only thing FL could do is better communicate what doesn't work in the new release, esp. when it takes users backwards.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 75
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:11 PM

Mark Smith:

Matthew:
Why not wait another six months if that's what it takes to get it right and roll it out with pride?

The way FL has explained it is that their release dates get set a long time in advance. All sorts of things, including staffing, budgets, vacation time, other marketing plans, and so on (virtually most of the life of the company) gets pinned to that release date. If something gets delayed they cannot just slip the release date (especially six months). I get that. You cannot run a business as big as Faithlife's from month-to-month.

The result is what we always see with a new major number release: not everything is as ready as FL (and we) would like it to be. It is stable (for the most part), so people aren't dealing with what beta testers have to deal with. But it is likely incomplete.

The only thing FL could do is better communicate what doesn't work in the new release, esp. when it takes users backwards.

Makes sense Mark. Given how long they've been doing this, though, you'd think they set dates with a whole lot more margin for exactly this reason. But the biggest area in which they can and need to improve is DEFINITELY communicating with their customers on numerous issues, including this. They really need to make it someone's job to improve how they communicate and interact with customers. They bring unnecessary grief and ill will upon themselves. As you know, this is not a new issue. Thanks again Mark!

Posts 4834
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:14 PM

So this is something else FL has failed to tell customers about. Coresponding highlights do not work. What else have they broken and failed to tell customers about? FL continues to treat customers with disrespect when they don’t man up and provide information on everything they have broken before selling a major ‘upgrade‘ to the software. 

Mark Smith:

Matthew:
I'm just frustrated

Understood.

Matthew:

Posts 4834
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:18 PM

This is not good for enough Mark, charging customers for known to be broken software is not acceptabl, if a feature is not ready it should not be included in the release, it is a symptom of FL taking on too much, spreading themselves to thin and having total disrespect for customer.

Posts 2429
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:23 PM

Matthew:

Yes, I did everything you said. But it will only work if your current layout happens to be using the same Bible as the reading plan you launch. My layout has nine different Bibles opened. I have three daily reading plans that use different Bibles. So if my default layout is saved with the LEB as the currently visible Bible (although there are eight other Bible tabs in my default layout) and I click on a reading plan whose Bible is the ESV, it will open to the passage from the reading plan, but it will stay in the LEB even though the ESV is the tab right next to it.

Hi Matthew,

I created a case for this.

Posts 75
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:25 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Matthew:

Yes, I did everything you said. But it will only work if your current layout happens to be using the same Bible as the reading plan you launch. My layout has nine different Bibles opened. I have three daily reading plans that use different Bibles. So if my default layout is saved with the LEB as the currently visible Bible (although there are eight other Bible tabs in my default layout) and I click on a reading plan whose Bible is the ESV, it will open to the passage from the reading plan, but it will stay in the LEB even though the ESV is the tab right next to it.

Hi Matthew,

I created a case for this.

Thanks Philana!

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:32 PM

doc:

This is not good for enough Mark, charging customers for known to be broken software is not acceptabl, if a feature is not ready it should not be included in the release, it is a symptom of FL taking on too much, spreading themselves to thin and having total disrespect for customer.

Hey, doc, you've been around a long time. Your initials or the nickname they spell can mean something quite commendable, a title obtained by diligent work. I am beginning to think they mean "Director of Castigation". Not so commendable. Take that for what it's worth, but I know you can do better than take every opportunity you can find to criticize. Your experience can be of help here. I hope it will be.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4834
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:32 PM

FL’s communication with customers is pathetic because they are not open with customers about these things and instead hide behind generalisations and marketing fluff. You are totally correct Matthew with this assessment of their communicatio.

Matthew:

Mark Smith:

Matthew:

Makes sense Mark. Given how long they've been doing this, though, you'd think they set dates with a whole lot more margin for exactly this reason. But the biggest area in which they can and need to improve is DEFINITELY communicating with their customers on numerous issues, including this. They really need to make it someone's job to improve how they communicate and interact with customers. They bring unnecessary grief and ill will upon themselves. As you know, this is not a new issue. Thanks again Mark!

Posts 227
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:51 PM

Levi Durfey:

Matthew:
hanks Levi, but that's not it, I know what that is and use it regularly. I'm talking about my highlights that I make in one Bible that are also visible in all Bibles that are reverse interlinear Bibles like the above list of Bibles.

Yes, I see now. In addition to what Mark said above, here's the link to the Features that FL is planning to add back in (scroll to bottom of page): https://www.logos.com/faq/notes

As this is a Notes feature does the highlighting work if the Old Format notes are used in Logos 8?

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS