Would be possible to include a great book made free by the author ?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 59
Renan | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 31 2018 3:43 PM

The book Coincidendes in the Bible and in Biblical Hebrew is being distributed freely through the author blog and I would like to know how to include this book into my logos library so I can use it's content in a much meaningful way.

This is the book on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059540779X/ref=dbs_a_def_awm_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i0

And here is the free version on professor's Haim Shore personal blog:

https://haimshore.wordpress.com/

God bless,

Posts 27029
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 3:52 PM

Read Help and the Wiki on Personal Books. They will tell you how to go from a word document to Logos. Word will convert to from a PDF. If you run into problems, ask. If you're on a Mac, others will step in to tell you how to get to the right format.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2371
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 4:02 PM

You can use the personal book builder to accomplish this.

https://wiki.logos.com/personal_books

You could also ask Haim Shore for permission to add his book to the list of user contributed personal books, so that everyone can download it there and add it to their own Logos library. He seems like a nice guy. There's probably some chance that he would agree to that.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 5:35 PM

MJ. Smith:
Word will convert to PDF.

For clarification: You dont want to convert to PDF, you want to convert a PDF into a Word document (.docx) file format. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27029
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 6:18 PM

Thanks. Fixed.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 6:51 PM

Hi Renan:

I downloaded the PDF, converted in Word 2016 (could also use 2013) to docx. It converted nicely with no manual editing, with a good TOC structure. If there were active/tagged footnotes in the PDF (I didn't examine it closely), they didn't make it into Word (they often do from a PDF). I compiled it with the PB tool, and it compiled fine. There are are many warnings in the log related to Hebrew strings, to the effect that they weren't recognized. However, I spot checked some Hebrew words in Word and they were denoted as Hebrew, and in the compiled resource double-clicked them and they opened up in a Hebrew lexicon. So, clearly, Word marked them properly; I'm not sure what that's all about.

I'm reluctant to post the docx here, but my email is easily found on my Faithlife profile. I would be happy to send it to you, and you can compile it with the instructions others have provided.

No longer actively posting. Please remind T-Bone to take his meds.

Posts 4659
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 6:59 PM

Offering the .docx is very generous. If you do not want to be inundated with emails, you could post the .docx in the Files forum 

One more thing, based on your profile picture Roll Tide!

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 7:47 PM

Fredc:

Offering the .docx is very generous. If you do not want to be inundated with emails, you could post the .docx in the Files forum 

One more thing, based on your profile picture Roll Tide!

Thanks, Fred. My reluctance to post it anywhere is that, even though the author described it as a 'free download', it's copyrighted. I have been put on double-non-secret probation and subjected to a group-tongue-clucking previously for posting a freely available book that is copyrighted. (Remember high school basketball when a foul would get "you-you-you-you!" from the crowd?)

#RTR! (BTW, that's THE pass)

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:33 PM

Robert M. Warren:
a freely available book that is copyrighted

Yes! Just because someone offers their own book freely, doesn't mean anyone else can do the same. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 59
Renan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 5:42 PM

Great job ! I know that personal books can be import through docx but I thought maybe Logos could provide the book in a Logos enhanced edition so more people could make use of this awesome content through search, terminology linking and dictionaries.  Thank you. God Bless. 

Posts 59
Renan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 2:01 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Hi Renan:

I downloaded the PDF, converted in Word 2016 (could also use 2013) to docx. It converted nicely with no manual editing, with a good TOC structure. If there were active/tagged footnotes in the PDF (I didn't examine it closely), they didn't make it into Word (they often do from a PDF). I compiled it with the PB tool, and it compiled fine. There are are many warnings in the log related to Hebrew strings, to the effect that they weren't recognized. However, I spot checked some Hebrew words in Word and they were denoted as Hebrew, and in the compiled resource double-clicked them and they opened up in a Hebrew lexicon. So, clearly, Word marked them properly; I'm not sure what that's all about.

I'm reluctant to post the docx here, but my email is easily found on my Faithlife profile. I would be happy to send it to you, and you can compile it with the instructions others have provided.

I sent you an email asking for help cuz i couldn't replicate those results using Ms Word 365, looks like the book isn't index (searchable) at all.

There is another book that was made free by author over his website, i also have the PDF, could you help with this other one also ?

This is the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Compelling-Evidence-Creation-Flood/dp/1878026097/

Here is the free version with full TOC on the author website: http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/IntheBeginningTOC.html

Thank you,

Posts 27029
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 12:44 AM

Renan:
Ms Word 365, looks like the book isn't index (searchable) at all.

I use Word 365 all the time without problems. Can you describe where you are having problems?

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 9:49 AM

Renan:
i couldn't replicate those results using Ms Word 365

Hi Renan:

I sent you the docx and request for additional info on the second book you mentioned.

I said I used Word 2016, but it actually is Word in Office 365. I doubt there's much difference.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS