Oh the sale...

Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 10035
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:09 AM

On the not-$5 group, beware of the dynamic pricing; can get a bit dicey.  I picked up a bunch of $5's thanks to the OP.

Posts 877
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:15 AM

Michael S.:

Paul Caneparo:
I go into a quiet room on the first of the month to avoid those questions!

LOL!  

I never thought of these forums as a support group, but definitely see the need!

"Hi, my name is Michael, and I am a book-a-holic, and my wife does not understand."

I'm currently hoping to play the card "you bought a dog I never wanted and agreed I could buy a few more books........"

I am though being quite brutal in terms of choosing which ones I'll buy.  Shame at those prices though!

Posts 1051
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:16 AM

Jan Krohn:

It's just overwhelming this month.

Agreed. One of the best Publisher spotlights I've ever seen.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:47 AM

Mattillo:

Anyone have any experience w/ Cyril Barber?  I grabbed the the Samuel and Kings volumes because I love history!

I've just bought all the Cyril Barber commentaries on offer in the sale that I didn't already own. I like them because they're simple and practical, but don't overdo the application in the way that many expository commentaries do.

Posts 622
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 9:59 AM

Paul Caneparo:
I'm currently hoping to play the card "you bought a dog I never wanted and agreed I could buy a few more books........"

Ah, the ole a few more ambiguous language tactic...

Paul Caneparo:
Shame at those prices though!

I know!  If FL ever gets into the mortgage business, I am in deep trouble.

Posts 3112
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 10:12 AM

Mark Barnes:

Mattillo:

Anyone have any experience w/ Cyril Barber?  I grabbed the the Samuel and Kings volumes because I love history!

I've just bought all the Cyril Barber commentaries on offer in the sale that I didn't already own. I like them because they're simple and practical, but don't overdo the application in the way that many expository commentaries do.

Thank you Mark

Posts 366
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 11:57 AM

I found a few W&S books that I had missed previously using this link

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Status=Live&Language=English&unlocked=no&start=0&sort=savings&pageSize=60 

Going to be a rough Christmas this year!!

Posts 6222
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 12:55 PM

Any thoughts on the usefulness of this set: https://www.logos.com/product/5786/international-theological-commentary

Posts 511
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:07 PM

Jan Krohn:

I started stuffing my cart, and then removed everything again when I looked at the total.

I did the same! Embarrassed

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:53 PM

I am pretty blown away at this month's sale. Picked up books by D. A. Carson, Daniel Block, Don Garlington, William Lane Craig, and James Leo Garrett Jr. Each volume for $5! The 2-volume systematic theology by Garett is usually $100, and it's been on my wishlist for a while. Some real steals here.

That's not to mention the FBOTM. I've been wanting to get Gupta's commentary on 1-2 Thessalonians for a while now. 

Much appreciated, Faithlife!!!

Posts 877
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:25 PM

Jonathan Ray:

I am pretty blown away at this month's sale. Picked up books by D. A. Carson, Daniel Block, Don Garlington, William Lane Craig, and James Leo Garrett Jr. Each volume for $5! The 2-volume systematic theology by Garett is usually $100, and it's been on my wishlist for a while. Some real steals here.

That's not to mention the FBOTM. I've been wanting to get Gupta's commentary on 1-2 Thessalonians for a while now. 

Much appreciated, Faithlife!!!

Jonathan

You've caused me to put 3 more books in my "Saved for later" box!  Good job I'd just concluded I didn't need 3 I put in earlier.

I've always valued your input before. Can you say why you've had Garrett systematic theology in your wishlist?  I've never come across it before and have always been satisfied with Grudem as my go-to. $9.98 is a compelling price for an alternative. Will I find anything new or better?

I've also added Garlington's Galatians commentary. I wouldn't regard myself as New Perspective, but at $4.99 it seems a good option for a well regarded exponent of the NP. Have you had any experience of the commentary?

Posts 122
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 4:34 PM

Wow!  And Newbigin And Hauerwas.  FTW!  Thanks Faithlife!  Pretty stealthy sale here.

Posts 32
LogosEmployee
Amy Esary | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 4:45 PM

Glad you are enjoying the resources! 

Posts 406
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 4:54 PM

Paul Caneparo:

Appendix 4

Annotated Bibliography of Evangelical Systematic Theologies

Garrett, James Leo. Systematic Theology: Biblical, Historical, Evangelical. 2 vols. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990, 1995.   Garrett is a Southern Baptist who is Distinguished Professor of Theology at Southwestern Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas. He interacts extensively and with scrupulous fairness with both evangelical and non-evangelical authors, though he himself is firmly within the evangelical camp. He is Baptistic in his convictions, yet gives much more space to representing different positions clearly than to arguing for his own position. With 1530 total pages, these volumes are an amazingly rich resource for historical, bibliographical, and Biblical data on each doctrine treated.

Wayne A. Grudem, Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, (Leicester, England; Grand Rapids, MI: Inter-Varsity Press; Zondervan Pub. House, 2004), 1227.

Grudem's original edition came out in 1997... a bit too late to consult Garrett?

Posts 622
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 4:41 AM

NK:

Wow!  And Newbigin And Hauerwas.  FTW!  Thanks Faithlife!  Pretty stealthy sale here.

Who?

Posts 877
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 5:13 AM

D

Leo Wee Fah:

Paul Caneparo:

Appendix 4

Annotated Bibliography of Evangelical Systematic Theologies

Garrett, James Leo. Systematic Theology: Biblical, Historical, Evangelical. 2 vols. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990, 1995.   Garrett is a Southern Baptist who is Distinguished Professor of Theology at Southwestern Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas. He interacts extensively and with scrupulous fairness with both evangelical and non-evangelical authors, though he himself is firmly within the evangelical camp. He is Baptistic in his convictions, yet gives much more space to representing different positions clearly than to arguing for his own position. With 1530 total pages, these volumes are an amazingly rich resource for historical, bibliographical, and Biblical data on each doctrine treated.

Wayne A. Grudem, Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, (Leicester, England; Grand Rapids, MI: Inter-Varsity Press; Zondervan Pub. House, 2004), 1227.

Grudem's original edition came out in 1997... a bit too late to consult Garrett?

Leo

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to respond. My print edition of Grudem's Systematic Theology is 1994 so Garrett wasn't referenced and unfortunately my digital version is Olive Tree, so less searchable than Logos, but I can see the extract you've copied now. Looks like it'll be well worth $9.98.

Posts 1082
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 8:51 AM

Everyone looking at the New Covenant Commentary volumes on sale: also check out Logos 8 Reformed Bronze. It's included in that, and depending on what you already own in your library, it may be an even better deal than the sale price on the individual volumes.

Michael S.:

NK:

Who?

There are lots of people out there.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:17 AM

Paul Caneparo:

I've always valued your input before. Can you say why you've had Garrett systematic theology in your wishlist?  I've never come across it before and have always been satisfied with Grudem as my go-to. $9.98 is a compelling price for an alternative. Will I find anything new or better?

I've also added Garlington's Galatians commentary. I wouldn't regard myself as New Perspective, but at $4.99 it seems a good option for a well regarded exponent of the NP. Have you had any experience of the commentary?

Yeah, I am super excited about this sale. I too had to pick and choose which ones were top priority. Garrett is a Baptist and has taught at Southwestern, which should give you some indication of where he is coming from. There have been some solid evangelical systematics in the past couple decades, but I cannot remember an extensive Baptist systematic theology in that same timeframe. Strong’s Baptist two-volume work is a little outdated to say the least at over 100 years old!

When it comes to Garlington’s Galatians commentary, he’s even says in the title that it is a NPP perspective. Commentaries on Galatians by Dunn and Hays incorporated NPP views and were sort of trendsetters. Gatlington‘s work is fairly recent, so he has had an opportunity to respond to modern arguments against the NPP. My thought is that he will be good to read along with Moo’s BECNT volume that is more traditional.

The issue that I come across over and over again with trying to acurately understand the NPP is that commentaries and monographs are out of date within a couple years of publication. Any chance I get to pick up a 400+ page commentary on Galatians from an overtly NPP author for $5, I’m going to take it every time!

Posts 2181
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:24 AM

Sean:

Everyone looking at the New Covenant Commentary volumes on sale: also check out Logos 8 Reformed Bronze. It's included in that, and depending on what you already own in your library, it may be an even better deal than the sale price on the individual volumes.

Thanks for this tip Sean. I have 5 NCC volumes to add and the Reformed Bronze was less but included some other useful resources.

Posts 3112
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:41 AM

Just a heads up that Garlington can be found in some reformed base packages

Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS