Logos needs to take advantage of the new iPad Pro

Page 2 of 4 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 61 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 58
Renan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 11:11 AM

Believe me my brother, i live in the third world and my internet is far worse than yours so i would never suggest something that could ultimately drive me crazy. The technology behind those new web apps work caching information the same way netflix does with buffer so we don't need hundreds of gigabytes of space and also we don't need google fiber internet. So it would be the best of the worlds bringing the full experience to anyone, in any device, helping people who want to dig into the scriptures but don't have enough money to buy high end apple devices. It would also reduce development costs since the whole team could focus into a single multi-platform interface. 

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 3:14 PM

Sounds good to me. My house has no cell service and only available internet is satellite based so weather here or on the east coast can knock out my net. I have no issues with the concept of using something different as long as it works fine. 

-dan

Posts 2672
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 5:39 AM

Dr. Michael Wilson:
1. all my book files on my iPad (like my iMac )

While there's a tiny number of books that the publisher might not let users read/use on their mobile devices, at least that used to be the case, you can download ALL the books in your library available to the iPad by opening the library page. Then pull down so that the Download All link appears above the right hand side of the topmost book.

Posts 27430
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 8:19 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Dr. Michael Wilson:
1. all my book files on my iPad (like my iMac )

While there's a tiny number of books that the publisher might not let users read/use on their mobile devices, at least that used to be the case, you can download ALL the books in your library available to the iPad by opening the library page. Then pull down so that the Download All link appears above the right hand side of the topmost book.

Yes, but you should not do so. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 44
Dr. Michael Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 8:49 PM

That misses the entire point of my post. I don’t want all my books on my mobile device unless I have the abil to have way more than 2 stinking windows and no tabs

Posts 768
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 9:13 PM

Dr. Michael Wilson:

That misses the entire point of my post. I don’t want all my books on my mobile device unless I have the abil to have way more than 2 stinking windows and no tabs

Yes, it does miss your entire point. 

That said, the Logos iOS app right now is not (and perhaps never will be) what Logos is on the desktop.

Part of this can be laid at Apple's feet for their marketing blitz on how the new iPads are more powerful than "computers." I find it ironic that they can say that when they could add mouse support, for example, that would make the iPad in some areas as powerful as a computer. But they choose not to do that. If they did, I might not go looking to other devices for functionality that iPads don't have.

But it works the other way, too. My Surface Go is a great tool because it runs the full desktop Logos app. I have my entire library on my SSD. I have the full functionality of Logos 8. I get access to my PBBs. I can open multiple windows, but the funny thing is that on a 10-inch device I can't read the text in those windows because the screen is too small. I also get lower performance of the CPU on the Go than my desktop computer and the limitations (yes, the limitations) of Windows on a tablet device. Every device has tradeoffs; there isn't one device that does it all.

Posts 44
Dr. Michael Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 10:38 PM

logos can start by giving 4 panes.  I used to have a palm device and I would run olive tree on it. Olive tree have me 2 panes and no Bible software has advanced beyond that, in all these years.  That is my major complaint with everyone.  Olive tree, Accordance and Logos are all stuck and these is no reason that we can’t have a little itty bitty bit more

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 9:27 AM

Olivetree palm allowed 3 panes at once. And it was very handy. 

-Dan

Posts 10032
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 9:52 AM

Laridian (PocketBible) allows up to 5, with a switch to choose tabbed 5 (max) or all at same time, as below. Their library is more targeted and the interface not so cutesy. Their desktop is similarly paned.

Their previous version had tabbed, multiple-pane, and then multiple per pane (gesture to switch). That was so perfect. I think the gentleman was trying to simplify to the current. I was sadly non-plus'd.

Posts 44
Dr. Michael Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 11:48 AM

It is sad that they chose to go with the subscription model. I just want to buy books and be done with it. I see no reason that a book reader should have a subscription

Posts 58
Renan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 11:59 AM

Dr. Michael Wilson:

It is sad that they chose to go with the subscription model. I just want to buy books and be done with it. I see no reason that a book reader should have a subscription

Jeff Bezos is making tons of money out of Kindle Unlimited so It is a successful business model and i think that's why they are doing that.

https://ebookfriendly.com/kindle-unlimited-ebook-subscription/

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 1:09 PM

Dr. Michael Wilson:

If you don’t find Connect worthwhile, you can ignore it and purchase outright as before. Kindle offers a subscription service that I doubt I’ll ever use, but I find the free books/Mobile Ed rental etc makes it a great deal for me.

Posts 1
Lester | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2018 12:55 PM

Agree with everything being said here, we need native I-PAD full desktop functionality as well as Apple Pencil support for Logos! 

Posts 2672
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 9:56 AM

Dr. Michael Wilson:

Bob P. has repeatedly said they won’t go to sub ONLY. So you can always buy books and keep them, unless they are being dishonest.

Posts 10032
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 10:38 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Dr. Michael Wilson:

Bob P. has repeatedly said they won’t go to sub ONLY. So you can always buy books and keep them, unless they are being dishonest.

I wonder if publishers may go sub on their own, especially academic. Time passes; things change. 

Posts 114
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2019 8:26 PM

Since the iPad Pro has been out a little while, curious how those of you with it are enjoying logos on it now That some time has passed

Posts 4
Fr. Nathan R. Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2019 8:18 AM

I'm interested in this too, especially with announcement yesterday of the new iPad Air (basically now a lower end iPad Pro). This brings the form factor into the realm of affordability for me, and I'd love it if something like that could become my primary device...but how Logos works will determine that since it is the core of my research process each week.

Posts 38
Robert S Stramski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2019 9:11 AM

Tony Walker:

Since the iPad Pro has been out a little while, curious how those of you with it are enjoying logos on it now That some time has passed

I'm not really using it....like others have said, It's like using a Kindle or other reader and has minimal features. But I'm glad I have access to all the books! I'm happy overall so not complaining!

Robert

Posts 27430
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2019 10:35 AM

Fr. Nathan R. Hale:
I'd love it if something like that could become my primary device...but how Logos works will determine that since it is the core of my research process each week.

The right tool for the right job. If your research process is simply reading a bunch, then it would work fine for you. If you need to perform complicated searches, take notes, utilize original language tools, then the mobile app would not be a good fit. 

I consider the desktop app for "research study" (and would use another, non logos app for writing). I consider the mobile app on iPad for "reading study" (including making highlights). For that purpose, it excels. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2912
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2019 12:05 PM

Eric Ross:

Apple Pencil support for marking up my texts.

Yes please!

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Page 2 of 4 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS