Logos 8. Day 3

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 1:51 PM

doc:
Thank you Graham for saying that as Connect users we had not choice about moving to Logos 8.

Being strictly honest Doc, we do have a choice because we can turn off the auto updates.

Since 3 became 4 I have been pretty relaxed about the upgrades and had not realised the extent of the changes they were planning for 8. If I had realised I would probably have turned off the auto update and waited. While 7 to 8 is not as bad as 3 to 4 was I do see a lot of parallels especially around the level of communication.

The responses of the Beta Testers here makes it quite clear that many of the issues were know before the launch so why not send a detailed "known issues" document along with the email about notes, its not hard:

Issue: Set preferred Bible missing from Home Page

Action: Use Resource Prioritisation in the Library to Prioritise/Update your preference

Plan: This feature is not scheduled for reinstatement

Issue: Open Reading Plan from Home Page closes current layout and opens default layout "Bible Reading Plan"

Action: Open Reading Plan from the Reading Plan Document

Plan: A use current layout for reading plan switch will be included in a future release

This version is of course fictional and a real one would need some more detail but I think it demonstrates how easy it could have been to provide that level of feedback to loyal paying customers to help us plan for the upgrade,

Posts 1107
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 4:47 PM

Rick Ausdahl:

For info regarding library updates/additions do the following.

1. Open your library.
  2. Open the sidebar on the left in the library window
  3. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the sidebar

Once there, you'll see a variety of entries regarding resources updated and added.

I don't mind having to do this--I see updates to the Help files just came through!--but how will we know when/what datasets and program updates download?

Posts 1998
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 11:20 PM

Graham Owen:
I really do wish that more detail had been provided about what was missing before the update was delivered.

Did you automatically get updated or did you choose the "free purchase" in order to update? My understanding was that the automatic update wouldn't happen until the 5th (next Monday) to allow Connect subscribers more time to evaluate and understand things before forcing the update. Am I mistaken? Here's a screenshot of an email I received as a Connect subscriber.

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 5:05 PM

StephenMcC:
But if there was a way to rearrange the order of the panel in the same way you can rearrange the "last updated/ last accessed/ author / title/ my tags, subject/ etc" tabs... then everyone would be happy.

That would be excellent!

Posts 86
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:49 PM

Overall I agree the desktop app is more responsive and the UI has a much improved look and feel with the exception of touch support for windows.

With some features being reworked and not available again until a future release the initial L8 release may have been a bit premature.  Other than that I'm happy with L8.

One area where FL could greatly improve in my opinion with the next major update is in its communication of functional changes between versions.  It wasn't immediately clear how to perform certain functions in L8 that we could do in L7.

Graham Owen:
I really do wish that more detail had been provided about what was missing before the update was delivered.

doc:
I was also told all the changes were fully explained before the software was released so thank you for confirming my experiences this is not the case and that FL once again failed to communicate well.

These issues could have been alleviated with a FAQ for functional changes between versions.  See: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/173819/1008639.aspx#1008639

Thank you FL for your continuing efforts to improve our bible study experience.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2018 7:36 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Graham Owen:

Did you automatically get updated or did you choose the "free purchase" in order to update? My understanding was that the automatic update wouldn't happen until the 5th (next Monday) to allow Connect subscribers more time to evaluate and understand things before forcing the update. Am I mistaken? Here's a screenshot of an email I received as a Connect subscriber.

Hi Reuben

You are correct about the mechanics here but the warning relates to Notes not other aspects of the program. Based on the way that I use Notes I was not concerned with the potential impact of change here.

Rightly or wrongly I read this as:

The biggest change in Logos 8 is the new notes feature, if that will impact you don't upgrade yet, if it will not then you should be good to go"

None of the issues that I have raised are highlighted in the notice above, they could have been but Faithlife chose not to do this.

Posts 5025
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 1:44 AM

Reuben i am a connect subscriber and never receive emails from FL including connect  despite having selected to receive them in my preferences. And they are not in my spam folder.

i have asked a number of staff at FL to look into it for me and none of them have ever come back to me with an update. So just because FL sends emails doesn’t mean ever user is actually receiving them and being kept up to date. 

If FL actually started sending me emails it would be a good first step by them to getting me to change my poor experience of their communication.

Reuben Helmuth:

Graham Owen:

Posts 3020
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2018 4:34 PM

doc:

Reuben i am a connect subscriber and never receive emails from FL including connect  despite having selected to receive them in my preferences. And they are not in my spam folder.

i have asked a number of staff at FL to look into it for me and none of them have ever come back to me with an update. So just because FL sends emails doesn’t mean ever user is actually receiving them and being kept up to date. 

If FL actually started sending me emails it would be a good first step by them to getting me to change my poor experience of their communication.

Reuben Helmuth:

Graham Owen:

I think this is probably the exception, not the rule. What email service do you use, curious?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS