Links inconsistent in Commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Chuck G. | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2018 1:13 PM

I have "Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament: John." When I open that resource in a window and enter a Scripture passage, say John 10:22, the window positions to the footnotes, rather than to the commentary text. When I type in John 10:22-24, it correctly positions to the commentary text. Obviously there is no specific commentary text tag for John 10:22 specifically. However, it is rather annoying to be taken to the footnote of John 10:22, and then have to scroll up to John 10:22-24 in the text.  YET, when I type in John 10:22 into the commentary for the Expositor's Bible Commentary, the window changes it to John 10:22-23 and takes me to the correct text. Is this an inconsistency or am I doing something wrong?

Posts 25628
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 2:03 AM

Welcome to the forums. That sounds odd - but I lack the resource to test it ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 12821
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 2:25 AM

Unfortunately this is a quirk of a few technical commentaries that discuss the same text in several different sections. Logos has to guess which section you want, and with the BECNT in particularly, usually gets it wrong.

So if you type John 10:22, do you want to go to:

1. The overview section on John 10:1-42?
  2. The sub-heading "The Unbelief of the Jews (10:22–42)"?
  3. The paragraph below the sub-heading, dealing with 10:22-24?
  4. The additional note on 10:22?

You (and I) would like to go to (3), but Logos uses the logic that you would like to go to first occurrence of the most specific reference, which logically makes sense, but doesn't work in this situation as you end up at the additional note. So the problem occurs only when the following is true:

1. There are separate sections in the commentary that both deal with the same verse/pericope.
  2. The main body of the commentary doesn't deal with the text one verse at a time.
  3. Secondary parts of the commentary do deal with the text one verse at a time.

It would be better (IMO) in the BECNT for the additional notes not to have Bible milestones, which would then avoid the problem. However, if that action was taken then Milestone searching wouldn't work for additional notes. It's swings and roundabouts.

Posts 392
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 2:37 AM

Chuck G.:

I have "Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament: John." When I open that resource in a window and enter a Scripture passage, say John 10:22, the window positions to the footnotes, rather than to the commentary text. When I type in John 10:22-24, it correctly positions to the commentary text. Obviously there is no specific commentary text tag for John 10:22 specifically. However, it is rather annoying to be taken to the footnote of John 10:22, and then have to scroll up to John 10:22-24 in the text.  YET, when I type in John 10:22 into the commentary for the Expositor's Bible Commentary, the window changes it to John 10:22-23 and takes me to the correct text. Is this an inconsistency or am I doing something wrong?

Hi Chuck G. welcome to the forums!   I have that resource and followed what you did:

(a) When I entered John 10:22 in Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament: John" it went to the notes under the heading "Additional Notes' and did not go to the reference in the main text of the commentary;

(b) Like you, when I entered the verse range in that resource (John 10:22-24) it correctly went to the verse range within the main text.    

So I can confirm your experience with the "Baker Exegetical Commentary:John".

I notice that the main text in the commentary has a verse range John 10:22-24 and when I hover my mouse over it I'm shown the verse range in my favourite bible (the KJV). By contrast the Additional Notes reference refers to the singular verse (John 10:22).  So it would appear that when you type in John 10:22 you would logically go to the singular reference in those notes. Nevertheless I can understand your frustration in not going to the main text of the commentary. 

It may be that someone from Faithlife reading this could assist in doing something with the tagging to address this problem.   

Sorry, I don't have the "Expositors Bible Commentary" so I can't comment on that one.  Keep well  Paul 

Posts 5
Chuck G. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 6:32 AM

Paul (and Mark), thanks for validating my experience. Both of your explanations make sense. Obviously it was an "executive" decision on the part of the Logos team on how to handle such situations. But, from a users point of view it would be better to tag resources like this differently. My guess is that the scripts to do that would be more complicated in the automated preparing of resources like BECNT, requiring more human input. 

Thanks all,

Chuck

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS