I could use some help with Notes please

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 5:15 AM

Hi Cynthia

Does the "Favorites, Notes and Clippings" video at https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017433952-Logos-8-Sermon-and-Bible-Study-Prep-Series help at all?

Not suggesting it answers all your questions but it does explain some of the reasoning behind my suggestion.

Graham

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 9:04 AM

This certainly helps me and is very much like what I was in hoping to find. Everything in Logos 8 is starting to come together nicely for me and I am very happy with even the partial knowledge I have gained about what Logos 8 offers.

I will have to say though that 'favorites' is probably about the worst name possible that could have been chosen for the Logos 'favorites' feature as the function of this bears little resemblance to what favorites features do in about every other program out there. A name such as binder, organizer, or even document library makes far more sense to me. I would have never looked at this feature in relation to what I will soon be doing with it based on the name.

Thanks so much for your help, Graham (and also Cynthia for starting this helpful thread).

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 9:07 AM

danwdoo:
A name such as binder, organizer, or even document library makes far more sense to me

Binder is good.

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 9:51 AM

Ok I have been scratching my head over these workflow uses- I did a couple given them names- but now can't find them, so I opened favorites, created a folder called "workflow studies", with a sub-folder Revelation and with 2 sub-folders- "Bible Study and Sermons" then created a sermon and bible study on Revelation - after setting them up and naming I dragged them over into the appropriate sub-folder named Revelation. 

This has been the only way I can find any of the workflow doc's I have been testing- is this the way it should be done- or is there something I'm missing.

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 9:59 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
This has been the only way I can find any of the workflow doc's I have been testing- is this the way it should be done- or is there something I'm missing.

Started workflows should appear in their own section in the Guides menu

They should also appear as cards on your homepage.

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 10:20 AM

Thanks Graham- believe it or not I have looked there several times with no result- till just now- maybe I have an issue with it up dating- but at least I know that originally I looking in the correct place.

I think I like putting them in folders on the favorites bar.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 12:28 PM

Graham Criddle:

Whyndell Grizzard:

When a workflow is finished, do I drag n drop it into finished?

Posts 3026
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 12:50 PM

scooter:

Graham Criddle:

Whyndell Grizzard:

When a workflow is finished, do I drag n drop it into finished?

It will automatically go to the completed workflows section.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 1:10 PM

David Taylor Jr:
It will automatically go to the completed workflows section.

Thanks, David.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 1:21 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

[ Upon reading the article in the above link, Logos starts by saying that "Favorites in Logos are like favorites that you add in Internet Explorer or other browser programs. It allows you to store locations to resources. As with favorites in your browser you can create Folders and organize your favorites."  Keeping with my assertion that Logos needs to think about what they title things, I would agree that to be the idea I would get in my head as to the function of "Favorites."  Logos then goes on and says, "You can save Bible study resources, clippings, layout and such for a particular Bible study in a named folder."  I would expect THAT function in Notebook (as clearly did danwdoo in the post above). I'm just saying that what Logos titles something gives a picture in the mind of the user and more often than not, I'm discovering that it doesn't mimic the actual item.

Cynthia in Florida:

As I mentioned above, notebooks should NOT be called notebooks when the notebooks contain highlights that function as visual filters.  Logos needs to consider what it titles a tool, because with that title comes an assumption on the part of the user that it will do what it does in real life. It leads to confusion and frustration when the user doesn't realize that the title of the tool doesn't necessarily mean that its computer function mimics its real life function.

danwdoo:

I will have to say though that 'favorites' is probably about the worst name possible that could have been chosen for the Logos 'favorites' feature as the function of this bears little resemblance to what favorites features do in about every other program out there. A name such as binder, organizer, or even document library makes far more sense to me. I would have never looked at this feature in relation to what I will soon be doing with it based on the name.

Danwdoo:  I would have to say that I couldn't agree with you more.  I like your suggestion of BINDER a lot.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 1:23 PM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Cynthia

Does the "Favorites, Notes and Clippings" video at https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017433952-Logos-8-Sermon-and-Bible-Study-Prep-Series help at all?

Not suggesting it answers all your questions but it does explain some of the reasoning behind my suggestion.

Graham

Thanks Graham:  It does help and I agree, your recommendation is spot on.  The title of it, as both danwdoo and I both say, make no sense.  I have to say that even in 7 or 6 or however far back it went, I never knew that was what Favorites was for.  I thought it was merely links like a favorites toolbar menu in google or something.

Cynthia

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 10:39 PM

I had understood, clearly incorrectly, that favorites just let you save a list of your resources you are currently reading or want to access quickly (a more robust pinned resources type if thing). I agree with Cynthia that I was thinking Notebooks was likely where I needed to go to find this capability.

BTW I think it's great that a favorites link to an item can be renamed to something different than the item name, yet still link to it. This helps shorten some names in the folder structure, while keeping the fuller longer name on the item. I'm really loving the organization possibilities I never knew were there for who knows how many versions!

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 10:46 PM

danwdoo:
BTW I think it's great that a favorites link to an item can be renamed to something different than the item name, yet still link to it. This helps shorten some names in the folder structure, while keeping the fuller longer name on the item. I'm really loving the organization possibilities I never knew were there for who knows how many versions!

Glad you/re finding it useful. You can also "drag" search strings to Favorite folders and then click to invoke them when you want to use them again

Posts 43
OnDroad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2018 5:57 AM

I have to admit Bill, I agree with you.  The new logos 8 notes default font is hard to read so I have been going through the multitude of fonts to get one like I had on Logos 7.  The one font I liked seems to be missing from Logos 8. :(  So I have found another that is ok, but how to change it to be my DEFAULT Font and Size? I don't know.  Also the Spell check options that were Logos 7 are all but gone.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2018 2:36 PM

danwdoo:

I had understood, clearly incorrectly, that favorites just let you save a list of your resources you are currently reading or want to access quickly (a more robust pinned resources type if thing). I agree with Cynthia that I was thinking Notebooks was likely where I needed to go to find this capability.

You know what they say about great minds......

Cynthia

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2018 10:05 PM

Big Smile

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 1:11 AM

Is the intent of workflow eliminate the use of layouts, in conjunction with layouts, also if I delete a layout and I have created a link for it in a folder in favorites do both links disappear?

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 2:12 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
Is the intent of workflow eliminate the use of layouts

No, but one side effect of them in conjunction with the new appropriate to guides is that it is easier to keep a clean workspace oriented to complete a specific task efficiently.

Whyndell Grizzard:
if I delete a layout and I have created a link for it in a folder in favorites do both links disappear?

I have no idea ... I'd either need to set the condition up to test or leave it to someone else to answer. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4765
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 2:37 AM

This thread seems like it would be useful if I had L8.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 4:58 AM

whyndell:  Your screenshot of favorites is very helpful.  Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS