Advanced search

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Johnny Long | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 6 2018 2:14 PM

I am having to do some pretty intense searches for Greek at Fuller. Any help would be appreciated. This is the search I used, but it is not correct. Pls advise

@VA?S,AFTER,(ὅταν )

list of command-line commands you would use to determine all of the verses in the Synoptic Gospels where an aorist subjunctive verb appears after ὅταν with exactly one word in between them

Posts 21530
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 2:26 PM

Hi Johnny - and welcome to the forums

Does the search on the right give you what you want? (The one on the left returns results with either zero or one word between them)

The search string is "(@VA?S AFTER 2 WORDS ὅταν) ANDNOT (@VA?S AFTER 1 WORD ὅταν)"

Graham

Posts 9037
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 2:47 PM

Johnny Long:
I am having to do some pretty intense searches for Greek at Fuller.

If you haven't seen it, the Logos wiki is the place you can learn the most about searching in Logos and would be well worth your time studying. You can learn why Graham created the search he did and the syntax he used from that article.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9
Johnny Long | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 3:21 PM

Thanks very much exactly what I needed

Posts 9
Johnny Long | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 3:21 PM

Thanks Mark

Posts 24352
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 3:08 AM

Graham Criddle:
The search string is "(@VA?S AFTER 2 WORDS ὅταν) ANDNOT (@VA?S AFTER 1 WORD ὅταν)"

A shorter expression for exactly 2 Words  is  (@VA?S AFTER 2-2 WORDS ὅταν)  i.e. exactly one word in between. But note that Luke 16:9 is now included with  ὅταν followed by two aorist subjunctive verbs ἐκλίπῃ δέξωνται

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 938
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 10:06 AM

I would not limit the proximity to only 2 words, since the verb could be later in the clause. (e.g. Acts 24:22)

The search others have shown here will do fine with this modification. Since this construction does not have too many matches, you can manually cull out the false matches.

But the new Morphological Query Builder in Logos 8 will do this type of search more accurately. It takes much less time and effort to set up than a Syntax search and it has fewer false matches than a command line Morphological search. The Morph Query Builder is a table in which you specify the verb and the ὅταν from drop-down lists. Since you can limit the search to words within the same clause, you will have fewer false matches.

The Morph Query Builder is the #1 reason I am saving my pennies for the Logos 8 upgrade. I used it when I had a Logos Now subscription and loved it.

Posts 13064
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2018 2:10 PM

Harry Hahne:
Since you can limit the search to words within the same clause, you will have fewer false matches.

I'm not aware of how to do this with the Morph Query Builder. Can you enlighten me? Thanks.

Posts 24352
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2018 6:56 PM

Mark Barnes:

Harry Hahne:
Since you can limit the search to words within the same clause, you will have fewer false matches.

I'm not aware of how to do this with the Morph Query Builder. Can you enlighten me? Thanks.

It's actually harder to do! But how do you specify the same clause?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17742
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2018 4:03 PM

Johnny Long:
... determine all of the verses in the Synoptic Gospels where an aorist subjunctive verb appears after ὅταν with exactly one word in between them

Initial Morph Search

lemma:ὅταν BEFORE 2 WORDS @VA?S

found three kinds of words in between: Conjunction (@C), Noun (@N), or Verb (Aorist Subjunctive)

lemma:ὅταν BEFORE 1 WORD @C BEFORE 1 WORD @VA?S

lemma:ὅταν BEFORE 1 WORD @N BEFORE 1 WORD @VA?S

lemma:ὅταν BEFORE 1 WORD @VA?S BEFORE 1 WORD @VA?S

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS