Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 14
Chris Eller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 15 2018 7:52 PM

Kevin, thanks for starting this conversation. By reading the responses to this post and other posts on the forum, I am starting to think the iPad Pro is not the best device for Logos on the go. Bottom line, the mobile app does not lend itself to real work. Yes, it will work in a pinch, but you will quickly run into hard limitations. That's what I'm reading.

After reading some other posts on the Surface Go, I am leaning towards purchasing one of those devices as a mobile work solution. I can purchase a Surface Go with 8GB of Ram and a 256GB SSD with LTE and keyboard for less than a similarly equipped 11-inch iPad Pro with keyboard. With the Surface Go I will have a full version of Windows Pro and can run the desktop version of Logos.

The one downside to the Surface Go is the processor, but other Logos users indicate it is not that noticeable. I would not recommend a Surface Go as your only computer, but for on-the-go work, it sounds ideal.

Am I thinking correctly? Is the Surface Go a better mobile solution than the iPad Pro?

Posts 763
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 15 2018 9:11 PM

Chris,

I had the Surface Go and recently sold it to buy the iPad Pro 11 fully understanding the limitations of the mobile app. 

Let me tell you why the SG didn't work out for me. (1) Random sluggishness, typically when Logos was indexing. (2) Battery life wasn't acceptable to me. (3) Weakness as a tablet. This is largely because Windows is really not a tablet-friendly operating system. (4) The Logos desktop on the SG. It's not touch-intuitive at all and I found myself once again struggling with it in this form factor. I  actually ran Logos on an 8-inch Windows tablet a few years ago. (5) Related to battery life, I turned off sleep and chose to hibernate in order to squeeze more battery cycles out of it. But, using hibernate, you don't have instant on like an iPad. You have to wait 15 or so seconds for the SG to wake up. I admit I am impatient.

I believe the SG can work for folks running Logos as long as you understand the limitations of running Logos desktop on it. You'll need to use the pen to navigate around if you use it as a tablet and not as a laptop. If you plan to use it more like a laptop, then the SG will work really well for you. You can scroll through windows easily using the touchpad on the type cover and get around like you would if you were using a larger computer. Another limitation is the processor, as you note. This wouldn't have been an issue with me, but Logos isn't as responsive on the SG as it is on the Surface Pro, for example. But for me, the Surface Pro is too big as a tablet. I want something smaller to take to church and carry around the office for taking notes at work. I'm all in on the SG/iPad Pro 11 size and weight. 

That said, the killer feature of the SG is the size and weight (almost exactly the same as the iPad Pro 11). That, and the kickstand. That is brilliant! Also, there's something great about having a full-blown Windows tablet that you can take everywhere you want to go (as long as you have battery life). And, in the Logos environment, you have the fully-featured desktop app with all of your personal books available. This, as you note, isn't possible on the iPad Pro.

I hope this is helpful as you weigh your mobile device options.

Posts 2643
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2018 6:02 AM

I think it would be smarter to look at an previous generation Surface Pro.

It won't have the sluggishness and isn't that much heavier than the iPad Pro 

Posts 14
Chris Eller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2018 2:50 PM

Thanks Bill & Kevin for your advice.

If I can summarize what I am hearing you say, there really isn't a great mobile option for Logos. I have a Surface Book 2, which is awesome, but was hoping to find something a bit easier to carry around wherever I go. I have an older iPad and have never found the workflow with Logos Mobile appealing. It feels like a glorified reading app. I couldn't, for example, travel with just the iPad and expect to get real work done with the Logos Mobile app. That's probably what I'm striving for: something that is light and travels well (like an iPad), but is capable of doing real work (like a Surface). 

Hmmm. More contemplating. 

Posts 763
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2018 3:01 PM

Chris,

You didn't say whether you'd be using the Surface Go as a tablet mainly or as a mini laptop. If the latter, I found the Go to work well. It's more responsive with the type cover, scrolling through windows, selecting controls, etc. 

I'm assuming you've used your Surface Book 2 as a tablet in Logos to get a feel for how it works using the pen as a pointer and touch. The Go is a much smaller version of that, but less responsive. I found using the Go in Logos as a tablet acceptable for reading, but frustrating if you were trying to do a lot of things. 

And, keep in mind, that realistically you'd be looking at a two-window layout in landscape using the type cover, with perhaps a small third column for the highlighting tool, etc. 

The Go could very well work for you. My needs were different. Try it out and see if it works for you. Microsoft has a 30-day return window if you decide not to keep it.

Posts 14
Chris Eller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2018 3:16 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the clarification. That helps a lot. As I think about it, I would use the SG in laptop mode with the keyboard cover and a mouse.

I have used Logos in my SB2 in tablet mode and it is useless. I can't even highlight text using the pen. This is on my wish list for the Logos desktop app: better touch control! Many (perhaps most) Windows laptops have touchscreen, and it is a shame Logos performs so poorly  on a modern touchscreen laptop.

Blessings,

Chris

Posts 763
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2018 4:30 PM

Chris Eller:

Bill,

I have used Logos in my SB2 in tablet mode and it is useless. I can't even highlight text using the pen. 

Interestingly, on the Go highlighting with the current generation of Surface pen or the Wacom Bamboo Ink stylus works well.

Posts 124
Robert Bigouette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 12:52 PM

This app becomes almost useless in WiFi or data deserts. 

Posts 2817
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 9:34 AM

JT (alabama24):

Jerry Rogers:
Can you use logos 8 on ipad pro?  I can use logos 7 on it but I am logos 8 does not show up.

For clarification: "Logos 7" and "Logos 8" are desktop applications which run on Windows and macOS. They do not run on mobile devices. 

The new version of the mobile app is "version 8," but it isn't "Logos 8." 

Actually, Logos 7 and Logos 8 run very well on the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2817
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 9:35 AM

Kevin,

Does the search function work any better on the new iPad pro than on the old iPad pro?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2643
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 12:23 PM

Michael Childs:

Kevin,

Does the search function work any better on the new iPad pro than on the old iPad pro?

Not better, but about the same. I never had much trouble, but I’ve almost always got good Internet.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS