Old CDs and DVDs

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 722
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 24 2010 12:53 PM

I was looking through my physical software archives last night, and realized I have quite a few Logos CDs/DVDs that have piled up over the years.

I am wondering if there is any reason to keep them. I started to throw them out, but it "felt" weird. Like I would lose something if I did. But I see no reason to keep them either with everything being stored in the cloud.

I have no problem with that, BTW.

So, assuming that I trust Logos' cloud, and I do; is there any reason at all to keep my old discs?

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 627
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 1:02 PM

Jerry,

You could always "donate" them to your VBS director/craft person for crafts or you can make coasters out of them or take target practice on them, etc. But you were probably meaning that you might accidentally need them if something ever "breaks" in the cloud. I'm like you, though, it would seem difficult to just throw them away.

Posts 29359
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 1:08 PM

Bill Shewmaker:

Jerry,

You could always "donate" them to your VBS director/craft person for crafts or you can make coasters out of them or take target practice on them, etc. But you were probably meaning that you might accidentally need them if something ever "breaks" in the cloud. I'm like you, though, it would seem difficult to just throw them away.

However, you should remember that some of the Carter family music we have comes from recordings for a radio station in Texas where the disks became roofing in Mexico. [No I did not make that up] Who knows how valuable those VBS crafts might become.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 2:35 PM

Jerry Bush:

I was looking through my physical software archives last night, and realized I have quite a few Logos CDs/DVDs that have piled up over the years.

I am wondering if there is any reason to keep them. I started to throw them out, but it "felt" weird. Like I would lose something if I did. But I see no reason to keep them either with everything being stored in the cloud.

So, assuming that I trust Logos' cloud, and I do; is there any reason at all to keep my old discs?

Jerry

Jerry,

I'm sure it's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is always best to keep all your discs for precautionary measures. Smile

Deborah Mickens
Logos Bible Software, Marketing
dmickens@logos.com

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 4:09 PM

There have been some cases here on the forum where resources that were included with earlier base packages were no longer offered and you could not download those resources from the Logos site. But the people did have the resources on their discs and were able to get them back into their Logos programs. For that fact alone, I keep all of my old Logos CD's.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 4:24 PM

Jerry Bush:
I am wondering if there is any reason to keep them

If you ever wish to have the Libronix 3 "Home Pages" you must have the CD-ROMS.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1

Jerry Bush:

Jerry

I keep mine as well, even though some of the discs are scratched and I can't get access to some of the resources...the ones that are available get me through my bible study and the class I teach in our homeschool.

Daviyd

Posts 722
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2010 8:18 AM

Deborah Mickens:

Jerry,

I'm sure it's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is always best to keep all your discs for precautionary measures. Smile

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Hi Deborah -

Actually, your answer makes me a little nervous, and here's why: Many of my purchases and upgrades have been download-only. What about them if precautionary measures needed to be acted upon?

Are you new to Logos? Had not seen your name before. You are working for what I believe is the best company in the world!

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2010 9:44 AM

Jerry,

The reason that it is best to keep your discs is because some resources (from older collections, for example) we no longer have licensing for so if you have your old discs that is the only way to get them onto your computer. Additionally, if you do still want to use Libronix/Logos 3 and want to have access to the Home Pages from those discs, then you do need to use those discs. (This does not pertain to Logos 4 as it does not use the Home Pages in the same way Libronix/Logos 3). 

In regards to the downloads, if you have an external hard drive, you can create a backup of the resources folder and that will have your downloads in it. (If you do decide to go this route, you do still need to hold on to the discs so you can get the Home Pages as mentioned before.)

I've actually been working here for a little over 2 and a half years. I started in Customer Support and moved to the Marketing Department in February. I have to agree, Logos is a great company to work for!

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 5:12 AM

I realize this topic is a little old now, but I have the same problem and related questions. I would like to get rid of some of these, so I want a little more information. I probably don't need old installation discs, right? Like Logos Bible Software 3 Installation Disc? However, I do have the old Logos Series X Scholar's Library and Biblical Languages Supplement. I want to know how to tell if there are resources on there that I don't want to get rid of for the reasons mentioned above. I also want to know if, when I install Logos on a new computer eventually, which resources for which Logos no longer has licenses and are no longer downloadable so that I can make sure to copy them to the new computer. Is there a quick way to find out what used to be available? Last, in the even that I needed to do that, how could I actually install them? Will Logos 5 (and when I eventually upgrade, Logos 6, 7, 8, etc.) be able to incorporate old resource files that I put into my cd/dvd reader on a computer?

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 5:48 AM

Jeffrey T. Requadt:
Will Logos 5 (and when I eventually upgrade, Logos 6, 7, 8, etc.) be able to incorporate old resource files that I put into my cd/dvd reader on a computer?

Yes, they can but the old file seems to trigger a download of the latest resource file from Logos. At least that was my experience when I had issues with an old resource file become corrupted during an update of Logos 6! See this thread.

I still have all my old Libronix CDs/DVDs and even my old Logos 2 CDs … but I did scrap my old Logos 1.6 diskettes!

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 6:30 AM

How do you do that, just put in the CD and start the install? Or is there a tool within Logos?

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 7:09 AM

Logos help file: Command Box includes - scan optical media (Mac), or scan DVD (Windows) – scans connected CD/DVD-ROM drives in which media is inserted.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 2:20 PM

Thanks!

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 1:54 AM

Jeffrey T. Requadt:
I probably don't need old installation discs, right? Like Logos Bible Software 3 Installation Disc?

Keep one for the nostalgia (3.0f or later)Smile

Jeffrey T. Requadt:
However, I do have the old Logos Series X Scholar's Library and Biblical Languages Supplement. I want to know how to tell if there are resources on there that I don't want to get rid of for the reasons mentioned above.

If you are not missing any resources in Logos 4 you can get rid of them!

Basically, you would only need these discs to establish your right to a licence for Logos 4+, and then they can be downloaded to you. But I would not load the old format into Logos 4+ if they cannot be downloaded from Faithlife (see below).

Jeffrey T. Requadt:
I also want to know if, when I install Logos on a new computer eventually, which resources for which Logos no longer has licenses and are no longer downloadable so that I can make sure to copy them to the new computer. Is there a quick way to find out what used to be available?

No need to worry about that if you always back up your resources to an external drive e.g. a 1 TB drive with USB 3.0 interface.

Note that you always keep the licences you have even if Logos can't sell them anymore. Which means, generally, that they can still update & download the resource for you e.g. NIV 84. Some Logos Series X or third-party resources may be the exception.

Jeffrey T. Requadt:
Last, in the even that I needed to do that, how could I actually install them? Will Logos 5 (and when I eventually upgrade, Logos 6, 7, 8, etc.) be able to incorporate old resource files that I put into my cd/dvd reader on a computer?

Bad idea as outlined by Alan. After installing on a new computer you can use the scan command on your external drive to get any that are missing (or use Method 3 to avoid downloading).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3
John Bastian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 8:26 AM

Does anyone have the training seminar DVD for Logos 4? I'd be willing to buy it from someone if they don't need it anymore. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS