Double click a word to open corresponding BDAG or HALOT reference

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Chad | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 8 2018 11:38 AM

When I double click on a word in a Bible, it typically opens either Mirriam Webster's or Erdman's to the definition/entry of that word.

Can I change this action to open up to BDAG or HALOT to THAT entry instead?

I can CTRL+click and choose "Look up" but that's a lot of extra clicks over the years for something I find myself doing quite often during study sessions.

Thanks in advance for the help! 
Chad

Posts 8372
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 1:01 PM

Have you prioritized BDAG and HALOT? That is how Logos determines which resource to use.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8
Chad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 1:03 PM

Yes, I have prioritized both. And the others are not in the prioritized list. My list is super short. =)

Posts 8372
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 1:04 PM

To prioritize, right click on the resource and choose "prioritize this resource"

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8372
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 1:07 PM

Chad:

Yes, I have prioritized both. And the others are not in the prioritized list. My list is super short. =)

Sorry, I was in the middle of posting my last post when you wrote this.

That is strange. With these resources prioritized for me, double clicking brings them up in another tab. It should work.

Posts 8
Chad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 1:11 PM

Even more fun... When I'm in Genesis 1:1 if I double click "heavens" it opens EDB in a tab. If I double click "earth" it opens MW Collegiate.

Posts 8372
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 1:35 PM

Chad:

Even more fun... When I'm in Genesis 1:1 if I double click "heavens" it opens EDB in a tab. If I double click "earth" it opens MW Collegiate.

Okay, I just experimented by changing the order of prioritizing in my library and moved HALOT up and down and it seems to work perfectly, getting the results based on how they are prioritized. Can you give me a screenshot of your prioritization?

Posts 2052
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 1:59 PM

Double clicking on an English word in an English Bible will look up the English word. It opens the first dictionary that has an entry for that word.

Original language Bibles open up the prioritized lexicon.

You can  open the lexicon and link it to the English Bible and it will open to the Lemma.

Or the information window and a click or hover will give you a link to your preferred lexicon.

Posts 8372
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 4:28 PM

John Fidel:

Double clicking on an English word in an English Bible will look up the English word. It opens the first dictionary that has an entry for that word.

Original language Bibles open up the prioritized lexicon.

You can  open the lexicon and link it to the English Bible and it will open to the Lemma.

Or the information window and a click or hover will give you a link to your preferred lexicon.

I was assuming that Chad was double-clicking on an original language word but perhaps he was using an English Bible.

Posts 2052
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 4:57 PM

Bruce,

You may be right, but everything he was presenting indicated he was working in the English Text. Some software will search the lemma with a double click or the manuscript such as BibleWorks. 

Posts 8
Chad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 5:15 PM

Hello, all... finally back at my computer... and I was using English texts in my example, so that explains it. 

Thanks for the pointers... much appreciated!

Posts 2052
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 5:36 PM

If you have any questions on my suggestions or want a screen shot let us know.

Posts 1207
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 5:53 PM

If you open a lexicon, and link it to the English Bible pane (this works with the KJV, at least), you can click on a word and jump to the corresponding language.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 8372
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 5:58 PM

Chad:
I was using English texts in my example, so that explains it. 

Yes, it all makes sense now. Glad to help. Please take time to stop by the forums often.

Posts 2642
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 7:14 PM

Ben:

If you open a lexicon, and link it to the English Bible pane (this works with the KJV, at least), you can click on a word and jump to the corresponding language.

Yes. This works with all translations that have an interlinear.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband, Lover of Baseball!

How to upload logs

Posts 8958
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 7:20 PM

David Taylor Jr:
that have an interlinear.

Minor clarification: I think you meant those that have a Reverse Interlinear. There are a few plain old interlinears and they don't need to be linked to a lexicon. Double clicking in those will open the proper lexicon.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2642
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 7:42 PM

Mark Smith:

David Taylor Jr:
that have an interlinear.

Minor clarification: I think you meant those that have a Reverse Interlinear. There are a few plain old interlinears and they don't need to be linked to a lexicon. Double clicking in those will open the proper lexicon.

Yes that is what I meant, thank you for pointing that out.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband, Lover of Baseball!

How to upload logs

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS