Forum search improvement

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 25 2010 10:23 AM

There have been a number of related requests already, but I would like to bring it back to the front burner:

If forums are advertised as a support resource, THEN we must be able to search them more precisely.

I find the general search box rather useless because you get overwhelmed with too many hits. Particularly annoying is that the hits include all the posts in the same thread that feature the search terms.

I have used the google work around but it would be better if we could it directly from the forum site.

Actually, it seems that some of the functionality that could make it better is already built-in. I get the best results by typing the search terms into the subject field of a new post and then looking at the list of related posts that appears. The view is not expanded (showing the text of the posts) but only the titles.

Perhaps more options to expand, collapse, search titles, search body, etc would help.

The bottom line is this: I KNOW that the forum is a resource. I use it frequently as such. Searches are frustrating. Regularly I actually miss relevant threads because I give up when I see the number of pages that return for my search.

Posts 36
Ron Stephens | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2010 11:57 AM

Ditto and Amen.

Posts 41
Paul Davey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:51 AM

I agree.

To be more specific, the search option "Find results with all the words" does not do an AND but it does an OR, so it behaves as "Find results with any the words" and this makes it impossible to be more specific in searches - indeed you end up with ever-increasing numbers of search results when you type more words in, instead of the expected less!

Please fix the forum search.

Posts 46
Andy Anglea | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 11:03 AM

Probably beating a dead horse, but the forum search index is majorly dated as well. The most recent result I can get is from November 14. Is it intentionally a month behind? Makes it difficult to find posts on recent topics.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 11:42 AM

This is documented elsewhere, but you can do Google searches targeted at the forums:

site:community.logos.com {other search terms}

This works pretty well.

That said, I agree that the forum searching capabilities need dramatically improved. Logos essentially relies on these forums as Level 1 support, so they need to be useful as possible.

Donnie

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 12:39 PM

Toolbar buttons are also available, which are real easy to use.  Here is a link to one of them.

Search the current site - Google Chrome extension gallery

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 1:01 PM

I agree Francis.

We as a forum community have come up with the work-arounds that have previously been mentioned but these things are only know by forum regulars. For those new to the forums this is a serious problem for them to be able to find previously-given answers.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS