Can Logos show 'ACTUAL' discount rate at the product page

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 21
Benny Chong | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:33 PM

Currently it is very confusing when I look at the discount rate beside the price in a product page.  The discount shown now is always the combination of (1) current discount + (2) all the books I already own in that book set.

For example, the current NICOT/NICNT is having a 40% discount promotion now, i suppose.  But the discount shown on the product page for me is 98%, because i already own the NICOT/NICNT from last promotion (48 books), and since then, 3 new books were added to the set (total 51 books), so i only need to add 3 books for $35.   So instead of honestly showing the discount for the 3 books as 40%, it is showing discount of 98%, which does not help at all and make people confused.   

Please kindly look into this and correct it.  Thanks a lot.   

Benny

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:54 PM

I agree.  The % discount presently displayed doesn't reflect anything useful for making a purchase. The figure just sits there annoyingly because I know it doesn't mean anything helpful.  I have to go figure the ACTUAL discount out for myself which isn't easy.

Posts 122
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 9:02 PM

Hear!  Here.

Posts 249
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 12:18 AM

Definitely agree. I usually have to look at each item's price listing in a bundle and compare the normal price to try and figure out what discount there is, if any.

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 9:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback. 
I wanted to make sure you knew that we have a tooltip that helps explain how the discount is calculated based on what you own and what sale might be happening:

Posts 249
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 9:17 AM

I had no idea that was there. That is great!

Posts 316
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 9:41 AM

.. but still the values for discount and saving doesn't make sense....

It never did.

Luuk

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 9:48 AM

Luuk Dondorp:

.. but still the values for discount and saving doesn't make sense....

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

We try to display our pricing in a transparent way, but there is a lot of complicated math going on behind the scenes. Striking the balance between "all the details" and "simple to understand" can be tricky. I'd love to hear your feedback on what you're looking for and what doesn't make sense.

Thanks! 

Posts 316
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 10:49 AM

Celeste Fiorillo:

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

The same as the OP explained in his example.

Celeste Fiorillo:

We try to display our pricing in a transparent way, but there is a lot of complicated math going on behind the scenes. Striking the balance between "all the details" and "simple to understand" can be tricky. 

This doesn't sound very transparant...

Luuk

Posts 122
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 10:56 AM

If the tooltip behaved as the posted one, there'd be less confusion.  My situation is as OP.  I've got three remaining to purchase on the NIC set and I'm getting a 96% discount, when it's more like 40%.

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 11:13 AM

NK:

If the tooltip behaved as the posted one, there'd be less confusion.  My situation is as OP.  I've got three remaining to purchase on the NIC set and I'm getting a 96% discount, when it's more like 40%.

Thanks for the reply - are you saying you'd prefer to see the % you save based on dynamic pricing and the % you save based on the sale as separate values instead of included in the single "You Save" price at the bottom?

We're showing the $ savings from the sale vs dynamic pricing in red. Just clarifying that the combined % is the issue?
Thanks for helping us understand what would help you on our website! 

Posts 122
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 11:17 AM

Speaking for myself, I find the % value based on my remaining purchases clearer;  In this case ~40% or so.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 12:26 PM

If you do not pay for the same book twice it is misleading to treat such adjustments as a discount, as it is not a reduction to what the normal price would be but an adjustment to get to the normal price.

it really does seem to be the opposite of transparent and frankly is misleading.

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 1:39 PM

Mike Pettit:

If you do not pay for the same book twice it is misleading to treat such adjustments as a discount, as it is not a reduction to what the normal price would be but an adjustment to get to the normal price.

it really does seem to be the opposite of transparent and frankly is misleading.

I understand how it would feel misleading for people who are already familiar with our dynamic pricing program and know that you do not pay for the same book twice. Many of our users, especially newer ones, don't realize that we discount things based on what you already own (not all digital companies discount bundles if you own it partially, so it's not automatically assumed). Showing that a price is lower than the regular price is a way of highlighting dynamic pricing. 

I agree that we could improve how we display dynamic pricing vs a discount from specific sale, and I appreciate your feedback. This is something we continue to discuss, and it is never our intention to be misleading. Thanks for taking the time to share. 

Posts 21
Benny Chong | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 6:12 PM

Thanks a lot.  We hope that the actual discount percentage based only on the books we are buying will be shown soon, as that will make it much easier for us to determine which material to purchase first based on the current actual discount of the remaining items in a package or bundle.  Because things that we already paid for is really not part of the current discount.    For us, many times we have limited financial resources and we purchase based on the current discount of the products.   For example, if multiple bundles are in discount at the same time, and i already own something in each of those bundles, the current discount percentage shown in each bundle will not help me to make the buying decision at all, as even something is shown as 96% discount, it may just means i already own most of the items within the bundle, and the actual discount is only 40%, while another bundle, that i only own very few items, the discount may show as 60% currently, but it is actually a better deal  than the bundle that is showing 96% discount..  Hope you can see this point and the benefit for us, but i think it is also beneficial for Faithlife, as less confusion = easier decision = more purchase.  Which is a win / win situation for all parties.  Thanks again!

Benny

Posts 249
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 10:57 PM

Celeste Fiorillo:

are you saying you'd prefer to see the % you save based on dynamic pricing and the % you save based on the sale as separate values instead of included in the single "You Save" price at the bottom?

We're showing the $ savings from the sale vs dynamic pricing in red. Just clarifying that the combined % is the issue?

This would definitely be my preference. There is a lot of non-sale 'noise' when every bundle appears to be on sale because I already own one or more items included. If I can scan my Wishlist and see actual sale percentages at a glance, that would be helpful to me rather than having to check details on each one to see if I am actually saving on the remaining volumes or just off dynamic pricing.

Posts 13342
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 12:41 AM

Celeste Fiorillo:

Thanks for the reply - are you saying you'd prefer to see the % you save based on dynamic pricing and the % you save based on the sale as separate values instead of included in the single "You Save" price at the bottom?

Thanks for helping us understand what would help you on our website! 

I agree this is an important issue, and I understand why people feel misled. With dynamic pricing, we're not getting a discount — we're paying less and getting less. If Faithlife wouldn't say that a 20-volume set represents a 50% savings on the 40-volume set, it shouldn't say that I'm saving XX% when I buy something with dynamic pricing.

So my preference would be:

• That percentage savings NEVER take dynamic pricing into consideration.
  • That red highlighting is NEVER used for a dynamic pricing discount (use a different colour if you must).

The "Custom Discount" pop-up is nearly fine. All it needs is for the %age amount to be moved from the total and added instead to the sale line (and ideally the "You Save" line removed). As it stands, I have to do the maths in my head every time I look at it. That reduces my purchases, not adds to them.

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 1:06 AM

I would definitely want the total percentage price difference (including dynamic price) to be the most prominent figure, however the breakdown appears.

Posts 13342
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 3:36 AM

James McAdams:

I would definitely want the total percentage price difference (including dynamic price) to be the most prominent figure, however the breakdown appears.

Do you mind me asking why? In the example given above, how does the 94% 'discount' help you?

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 4:27 AM

Mark Barnes:

Do you mind me asking why? In the example given above, how does the 94% 'discount' help you?

1. When I first started to use Logos, it was just the mobile app and freebies because I didn't want to risk buying a large package, but assumed that I'd have to repurchase the same material if I tested the waters first - it was only when browsing the store that I realised that Logos offered Dynamic pricing - something my previous bible app didn't offer, nor any other shop that I use - that I realised it made Logos something I could invest in.
  2. It shows collections I have that are nearly complete (and gives an indication as to how nearly complete they are) at a glance.
  3. I quite often buy items on sale because, elsewhere, they're part of bundles that I want to buy with a dynamic pricing discount - it's a way of chipping away at the price. I want to see those bundles highlighted along with the discount I've accrued.

There are more reasons, but they're mostly variations on the same themes.

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS