ATLAS data (Sean) Trick question: where was Jesus baptized?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26117
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 21 2018 4:04 PM

Yes, that is a trick question. If I check my Bible, it seems to say: "in the Jordan (River)"

However, some cartographer has corrected the information by a couple of kilometers to "Bethany beyond the Jordan". Is it really that hard to stick to what the scriptures explicitly say? Or at least stay with the obvious water source?

EDIT: Philana's answer is belied by a mouse over the event flag

This was updated after ATLAS 4 events, one flag? was created ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2495
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 4:18 PM

MJ,

This might be an issue of which Gospel account is being used for the data. "This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing." (John 1:28, NIV)

Posts 26117
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 4:27 PM

I'd used the Gospel Parallel Reader to check before posting but its at least 3 to1 in the Jordan NEAR Bethany beyond the Jordan ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 201
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 6:20 PM

Might also be an issue with:

• are we sure the Gospel writers were referring to the river itself rather than the valley
  • are we sure the river now runs in the same course it did 2000 years ago despite all the earthquakes, changes in water level and shoreline  in the Sea of Galilee etc etc
  • are we sure that this is the location of the location of that other Bethany despite other traditions which put it just north of the Dead Sea opposite Jericho and the Mount of Temptation by the Orthodox Monastery just west of Jericho ?

Confused

Posts 26117
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 6:41 PM

Geeked I love the way you think. Bravo.

Posts 2495
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 26 2018 2:01 PM

David J. Wilson:

Might also be an issue with:

• are we sure the Gospel writers were referring to the river itself rather than the valley
  • are we sure the river now runs in the same course it did 2000 years ago despite all the earthquakes, changes in water level and shoreline  in the Sea of Galilee etc etc
  • are we sure that this is the location of the location of that other Bethany despite other traditions which put it just north of the Dead Sea opposite Jericho and the Mount of Temptation by the Orthodox Monastery just west of Jericho ?

Confused

David,

Those are all excellent points when dealing with Biblical geography.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS