Looking for some recommendations on resources

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 32
David Drew | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2018 3:29 PM

Hi all,

I was given a generous birthday gift of some cash specifically to buy some Logos resources, and I'm looking for some suggestions on what to spend it on.I have a budget of ~$130 (though I'm happy to add my own money to it, so say $200 max). 

About me: armchair theologian, evangelical, my current collection is approximately at 'bronze' level. There's no specific books or types of resources that I particularly like or dislike. Suggest anything.

I don't need to go and spend the money right away, so feel free to suggest stuff like 'XXXX resource is regularly discounted to $100, get that when it comes around again'.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards some of the IVP collections, like the Spectrum Series, or the Jesus Studies collection (when they go on sale).

Thanks is advance for your help!

Posts 27678
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 3:56 PM

Did you purchase an L8 library? Did you view the denominational libraries? The new academic ones? I would certainly start there since it would be your biggest discount. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1103
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 4:25 PM

As JT suggested, I'd look at some of the new Logos 8 base libraries. Usually the Reformed ones have the most theology books, but I'd check out all the denominational ones in your price range.

Also look at the current Wipf & Stock sale that ends on the 30th. There are some terrific must-haves there for $5 each--Gustaf Aulén, G. Vos, Fudge's The Fire that Consumes, a few systematics and some interesting monographs. At $5 each, it's hard to go wrong there.

Posts 32
David Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 4:27 PM

Yes, I've had a look at the V8 sets, but I'm not finding them compelling. I honestly don't think I'll use the extra features, and all the packages which have an increase in resources that I find attractive are out of my price range.

Posts 27678
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 4:55 PM

David Drew:
I honestly don't think I'll use the extra features

Logos separates the features from the resources. When you are looking at the libraries, make sure to select the first option (see screen shot):

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 201
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 4:58 PM

You may want to take a look at all the individual titles available until the end of November from Wipf &Stock.
You only have a day left to select from these but you may find some useful and the discount is quite high on many of them...

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Status=Live&sort=savings&pageSize=60&unlocked=no&Language=English 

Beyond those then bundles generally offer the best deals if you can find any of interest to you...

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=bundle&unlocked=no&start=0&sort=savings&pageSize=60 

Smile

Posts 32
David Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 5:26 PM

hmm, I don't seem to have that option:

Posts 118
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2018 8:12 AM

FL Connect is a good option, which has longterm benefits. 2 additional free books per month, 2 courses of your choice per year, free upgrade to the L8 platform, use of all of the features that come with L8. The essentials is the most popular package & you would have money left over to get some additional books. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS