SUGGESTION: Book review tool

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 26
Shawn Roper | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2018 10:05 AM

It would be nice if all book and periodical reviews in the journals were tagged and a tool was made to easily search for those reviews.

It also could be expanded to include the footnote references from books and journals.  In time the data that it mines could be added to the theology guides for references of future study.

Posts 7719
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2018 12:11 PM

The book reviews are tagged (as Journal Articles) in many Journals in Logos. A search which finds them is:

{Label Journal Article WHERE Title ~ Review of}

Posts 26
Shawn Roper | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 6:43 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

The book reviews are tagged (as Journal Articles) in many Journals in Logos. A search which finds them is:

{Label Journal Article WHERE Title ~ Review of}

I cannot get this to work. For example I am trying to find the book review for Homiletic: Moves and Structures in JETS volume 32.

I can do a search for Periodical Title; Review Title in All Resources and I will get 2 hits in RTA and CRBR volume 2.  I don't get JETS.

I also tried the Journal Article label but I could not enter it correctly to generate any positive results.  What would be the correct syntax for "Homiletc: Moves and Structures"?

Posts 25159
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 7:31 PM

It should work - can you post a picture so we can try to see the error in the syntax? 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26
Shawn Roper | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 9:08 PM

Thank you MJ.  I see I was trying to substitute tags that did not need to be substituted.  Even still I get a lot of false hits.

When I put quotes then I only get one hit.  I am missing the JETS review.

I guess JETS is not tagged.  The CRBR entry is highlighted in blue and shows a bibliography entry when selected while JETS is not highlighted nor can it be selected.

Posts 25159
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 11:06 PM

try:

{Label Journal Article WHERE Title ~ Homiletic Moves and Structures|

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26
Shawn Roper | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:03 PM

MJ. Smith:

try:

{Label Journal Article WHERE Title ~ Homiletic Moves and Structures|

This just gives me false hits:

But I was not sure if the ending had a typo so I changed "|" to "}" and got no hits:

But the true title has a semicolon so I added that and I got one hit, but still missing the entry from JETS:

After checking for other reviews I think this is the correct syntax and the results come a lot quicker.  It is still missing the hits from JETS, Trinity Journal, and Michigan Theological Journal.

My original problem was that I ignored the brackets on the end, but my biggest question is how in the world would someone be able to figure out that search string on there own?

Posts 12700
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:10 PM

I’m not at my desktop at the moment,  but I don’t think JETS has yet received the new tagging that‘s required for this to work.

Posts 25159
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:10 PM

Shawn Roper:
My original problem was that I ignored the brackets on the end, but my biggest question is how in the world would someone be able to figure out that search string on there own?

There are several answers to this:

1) be a retired computer nerd

2) use the Context Menu (right-click) to format searches then manipulate them and see what happens

3) check out the samples in the Help File and the old cookbook in the Search (or the new templates when they are complete)

4) have used a broad enough selection of software to be able to recognize the probable industry standard

5) be smart and ask on the forums ... that is what we are here for

Posts 26
Shawn Roper | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 4:23 PM

MJ. Smith:

Shawn Roper:

There are several answers to this:

1) be a retired computer nerd

2) use the Context Menu (right-click) to format searches then manipulate them and see what happens

3) check out the samples in the Help File and the old cookbook in the Search (or the new templates when they are complete)

4) have used a broad enough selection of software to be able to recognize the probable industry standard

5) be smart and ask on the forums ... that is what we are here for

2 and 3 are very helpful.  Unfortunately not all reviewers give the correct title of the book they are reviewing, so I guess it is best to just search on a subset of the title. Also it is clear that the other journals are not tagged because the label does not show in the context menu.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS