For Lands Sakes, Don't Cancel Your Brill Etymological Prepub

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9464
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:21 PM

Yes, it's shipping. After those yummy leftovers and stocking returns:

https://www.logos.com/product/55648/etymological-dictionary-of-greek 

It was part of the Brill greek package that almost, but then got blown sky high at the Logosland target practice. Hebrew was smitherings.

And the discount is approx 50%.

And Brill rarely (ever?) discounts.

And, yes, etymo's are dangerous in a Sunday sermon, but at least have a good one to check.

And finally, look at your other choices .... 1890 classical?

Oh! For the geeky greekies, sure, Homer. But all the way to Hesychius!

Posts 562
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:27 PM

I must have signed up later than you, I'm only getting a 47% discount. This is on my chopping block because of budget overruns. Hmm

Posts 4584
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:14 PM

Denise:
And, yes, etymo's are dangerous in a Sunday sermon, but at least have a good one to check.

It's possible to O.D. on almost anything, but that doesn't mean it's bad for you. One of Barr's most famous moments was his supposed "success" in showing the foolhardiness of etymological validities. He thereby convinced a lot of people to dispose of the baby. Doing so was, is, and forever will be an error all it own.

Posts 5728
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:18 PM

Dale E Heath:

I must have signed up later than you, I'm only getting a 47% discount. This is on my chopping block because of budget overruns. Hmm

The $104 price tag is the one she’s talking about. It was either $299 or $399, I cannot remember. Then after much complaining the publisher decided to lower the price. I’m going to skip it 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 8430
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:29 PM

Denise:

And the discount is approx 50%.

And Brill rarely (ever?) discounts.

I am vacillating about this one. I pretty much had decided not to go for it and now your post is making me rethink it.....again. Tongue Tied

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9464
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:40 PM

DAL:

Dale E Heath:

The $104 price tag is the one she’s talking about. It was either $299 or $399, I cannot remember. Then after much complaining the publisher decided to lower the price. I’m going to skip it 👍😁👌

DAL

To be honest, my goal was to remind any greek lovers out there, a good discount, and the period covered is quite extensive.. I assume Dale was joking ... 47% is approx 50%. I think.  The 2 volumes were in the Brill greek collection that went from almost-there, to almost nobody. Then great knashing of forumite teeth, as DAL notes.

Mr Paul's comment about Barr is certainly good. But I would argue that unknown Bible words can never remain unknown ... a hinted root, a nearby language from another century ... scholars will deliver, even if Tanakh footnotes the guess as ... unknown.  My favorite Barr discussion was regarding Philo of Byblos.

Posts 562
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 4:43 PM

Denise:

I assume Dale was joking ... 47% is approx 50%. I think.

A closer approximation is 47.502375% SurpriseWink

Posts 247
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 6:02 PM

I've been in from the beginning and I'll be with it to the end. This dictionary is a big deal at a pretty good price all things considered (check out the hardback price on Amazon, and that's without Logos tagging and integration).

Posts 1649
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 7:30 PM

Denise:
Hesychius!

Gesundheit 

Win7/10 Android/Fire OS 5 | Fully Blinkered Calvinistic Baptist

Posts 20539
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 12:28 AM

Thanks Denise

I've placed an order!

Graham

Posts 639
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 1:19 AM

I also have been in since the beginning - and very looking forward to this one.

A huge resource and worth a tidy sum - so stomp up your 'tidy sums' people.

Shalom

Posts 8430
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 4:55 AM

I'd be interested to hear from you folks how you practically plan to use this resource. Perhaps it will help with my vacillation.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9464
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 7:39 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I'd be interested to hear from you folks how you practically plan to use this resource. Perhaps it will help with my vacillation.

This probably won't help your case of vacillation. But my interest is primarily, first in the period surrounding Egypt and the Hittite kingdom (modern Turkey). And secondly the Bible-connect in the odd use of the word sometimes tramslated 'isles' (OT). And the latter, as regards the Phoenicians, and specifically Philo of Byblos.  The greeks HAD to be all over Canaan, trade routes on the south, trade with Egyptians further north. Ergo, the languages.

But closer to Logosian interests, this volume I regard as 'core' (as also BDAG and HALOT), and a secondary go to, especially on loosy-goosy words (for which, Christians early on specialized in).

Extra: the volume is actually part of a series:

https://brill.com/view/serial/IEED 

And Beekes' expertise matches so well.

EDIT:

Apparently the example pages for vol 1 on Logos.com are the encyclopaedia. But the pages on vol 2 are instructive.

This one below, illustrates the possible  connect for barley cake, between the greek (LXX) and hebrew.

Posts 25
ChrisG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 9:11 AM

You convinced me! I've placed an order too.

Chris

Posts 562
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 11:41 AM

ChrisG:

You convinced me! I've placed an order too.

Chris

Yes, I've decided not to cancel. I'm a sucker for a bargain and this looks like a good one.

Posts 8430
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 4:56 PM

Denise:

Bruce Dunning:

But closer to Logosian interests, this volume I regard as 'core' (as also BDAG and HALOT), and a secondary go to, especially on loosy-goosy words (for which, Christians early on specialized in).

So, in what ways would you see this as "core" as BDAG and HALOT?

Posts 1307
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 10:59 PM

Bruce Dunning:
your post is making me rethink it.....again. Tongue Tied

Well, same here, rethinking is always dangerous ...

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 9464
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2018 7:39 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Denise:

Bruce Dunning:

So, in what ways would you see this as "core" as BDAG and HALOT?

Well, you're a long time forumite. As I've stated periodically, I view BDAG as a theological dictionary. Assigning a meaning to a verse demands knowing the meaning in that verse.  I've used the example of ones own pastor, same language, same day ... would a expert listener correctly assign meaning? Our pastor sadly shakes his head at what folks think he meant. But the same principle applies for any religious writer ... strictly guesswork. And so, side volumes like MM, Logos' own huge searches, and a good etymo-dictionary are helpful, to at least see what possibles are there.  And specific to my current interest, the greek-semitic crossover.

On the HALOT side, the problem is a little different (an etymo dictionary). The fallacy there is presuming hebrew from different periods and geography  had the same meaning and significance (even within the major groupings). So, reaching out to side languages and their timing is helpful.

Posts 8430
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2018 10:00 AM

Denise:
And so, side volumes like MM, Logos' own huge searches, and a good etymo-dictionary are helpful, to at least see what possibles are there.  

Well, I am finally convinced. I loved understanding the origins of words and love to study Greek so that's why I'm interested in this. I have placed my order as I doubt it will ever be less money in the future. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Denise.

Posts 79
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2018 8:50 AM

Just to compare, BDAG does not have a specific entry for μᾶζα, and Liddell & Scott states:

μᾶζα, ἡ or μάζα, (on the accentuation see Hdn.Gr.2.937, Moeris p.258 P.) barley-cake, Archil.2, Hdt.1.200, Democr.246, etc.; ἀμολγαίη Hes.Op.590; κυρβαίη (v.l. κυρκ-) Hom.Epigr.15.6; φυστή Ar.V.610: distd. from ἄρτος (wheaten bread), Hp.VM8, cf. Acut.37, Aff.52, Ar.Ec.606, Antiph.226.1, X.Cyr.1.2.11, Ath.3.114e; μ. καὶ ὕδωρ Epicur.Ep.3 p.64 U.; δουλίας μ. τυχεῖν to eat the bread of slavery, A.Ag.1041: prov., ἀγαθὴ καὶ μᾶζα μετʼ ἄρτον, of second best things, Zen.1.12; μᾶζαν μεμαχώς having baked a cake, with a play on μάχην μεμαχημένος, Ar.Eq.55, see also μᾶδδα.
II. generally, lump, mass, ball, LXXBel27, Suid. s.v. παλάθαι; χρυσοῦ J.AJ5.1.10, cf. Dsc.5.79: esp. in Alchemy, amalgam, ἀνέκλειπτος μ. PHolm.2.17, PLeid.X.7.

LIDDELL, H. G. ET AL., A Greek-English lexicon, 1072.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS