Now that I loaded 4 correctly, any way to make my own 'Restore' Dvds?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 16
Ultralight | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 27 2010 8:57 PM

I'd love to make a set of DVDs out of my installation so that if my computer crashes overseas, I can simply  pop in the DVDs and do a complete reinstall of Logos 4 without going online.

If my computer crashes overseas, I doubt that I can reinstall due to the bandwidth requirements.

Thanks,

UL

Posts 16
Ultralight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2010 8:57 PM

I did do a search by the way on 'backup' and read through a few pages but did not find the answer.

Thanks,

UL

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2010 9:01 PM

You could backup your 'Data' folder.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 16
Ultralight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2010 9:34 PM

Yes I could but that would not reinstall my HD if I have a crash without web accesss.

UL

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2010 9:38 PM

It would save you having to download all your resources again. But if you're concerned about a full scale hard drive crash, then imaging the entire drive is the solution. I back up my entire hard drive regularly.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 2699
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2010 10:31 PM

Ultralite, if you look at top of page you will see a link to wiki, there are several methods discussed in the wiki, HTH

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 25380
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2010 12:14 AM

DominicM:

Ultralite, if you look at top of page you will see a link to wiki, there are several methods discussed in the wiki, HTH

The reference is to Quick Installation onto multiple computers

The problem with making an installation DVD is getting up-to-date msi's for Prerequisites and the Logos4 application, theoretically available from \Logos4\Install\. Recent ones might be there in your case and they could be useful.

The advantage of the Quick Methods (1 & 2) is that you can install/re-install without downloading resources and without indexing + you can store all the files on a 32 GB USB stick (maybe 16 GB). You could use the msi's instead of the web Setup but that only involves a download of 41 MB to 92 MB.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2010 8:03 AM

In all honesty this is what I'd do. (In fact, this is what I do)

Get Acronis True Image Home.

Get your laptop set JUST like you like it..apps, docs...everything.

take an image of your drive (c or d or whatever) and anytime you feel the urge...you can be back to your clean laptop with a few key strokes and about 20 minutes time.

I do this about once a month, I don't use virus protection, nor do I worry about keeping my laptop clean....at the push of a button all worries are negated.

It's 40 dollars on sale right now.

You can image your whole drive, just partitions, or whatever you want.

When Logos does an update, I just "turn back time" load the small logos update, and then re-do the image with the newest version.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 16
Ultralight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2010 9:16 AM

Thanks everyone.  Very very good board and thanks to everyone who helped.

I found that Windows 7 can do an image so I simply imaged the whole C drive to an external hard drive.   I assume that it will work for a full restore to the C. 

Not sure if I still need to purchase 3rd party software?

Thanks,

UL

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2010 11:06 AM

interesting....win7 does imaging!

I didn't know that...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2010 11:16 AM

Robert Pavich:

I didn't know that...

Not only imaging, but automated backup imaging.

Posts 1768
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2010 11:41 AM

Robert Pavich:

I didn't know that...

Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore

I still like Norton Ghost and Acronis because of the ability to boot from a disk and restore a backup from an otherwise dead computer as long as it still has the ability to run.

Edit: I am assuming that Acronis can do this, not 100% sure. I'm only familiar with Ghost since that is what I use.

Edit #2: Well blow me down, I now see that you can create a Windows system restore boot disk as well! scratching head trying to think of advantage of Ghost now, maybe the backup browser?   Big Smile

Posts 16
Ultralight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2010 2:05 PM

Yup, 7 can indeed to restore and reboot discs also. It

Where it is weak is in its partition capability.  It can add partitions and resize but poorly.  Cannot move some 'unmovable' sectors so still need 3rd party software for that. 

I was surprised last night when I was figuring these out.

UL

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS