How do I make Logos look up German definitions?

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 588
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2018 8:38 AM

Jan, thanks for the link to the LAB.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2018 9:30 AM

Thanks Jan, I will check it out. FYI, the specific issue here turns out to be an error in tagging for the resources in question. Logos is now on it and it should be fixed in the Dec 24 release. https://community.logos.com/forums/p/176551/1020107.aspx#1020107

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 5:51 AM

J.R. Miller:
Kyle has already replied to my bug report and believes the fix should be fairly straight forward. Thanks for helping track down the error in the Logos tagging MJ. Good to see after all these years you are still on it.

As you now know, the MTG has been fixed:

MTG now gives hits for five of the seven German words in Gen 1:1, missing out on "am" and on "schuf". 

For those interested in a more broad German/English and English/German dictionary, CP has one waiting for bids: https://www.logos.com/product/55071/heaths-german-and-english-dictionary I'm pretty certain that "am" or even the phrase "am Anfang" (= "in the beginning") will be covered there.

But: German is a highly inflected language, such as Latin and Greek. So "schuf" is the past tense of "schaffen" (= "to create"), and a rather irregular past tense, too. To really be able to work with any word, one would need an analytical lexicon that gives all inflected forms - should be easy to produce based on a PD text such as Luther 1912 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3649
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 7:24 AM

I know this is outside of Logos but until we have more German-English resources, you may find QTranslate helpful (if you don't know of it already).

You can set it so that it gives you instant translation of words or sentences when you select text with your mouse. 

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 4:12 PM

NB.Mick:
As you now know, the MTG has been fixed:

Yes, great to have this working now.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 4:13 PM

Francis:

I know this is outside of Logos but until we have more German-English resources, you may find QTranslate helpful (if you don't know of it already).

You can set it so that it gives you instant translation of words or sentences when you select text with your mouse. 

I had not heard of this tool Sadly, it only works on a Windows system. If anyone is aware of a Mac alternative, let me know.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 4:13 PM

Francis:

I had not heard of this tool Sadly, it only works on a Windows system. If anyone is aware of a Mac alternative, let me know.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS