Should I buy "The Cross and Salvation: The Doctrine of Salvation"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 14
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 15 2018 7:20 AM

I know the sale on this is really good this month... 81% off. But I normally only buy if it's 90% off as I have a very tight budget and am saving up for a Gold package. The question is, am I going to regret not buying this at this price? I bought the other two in the set.

Your thoughts appreciated...

Posts 2339
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 15 2018 8:00 AM

I know what you mean. I initially skipped it as well, but then bought it earlier this week anyway.

Reason: when browsing through the course details of the degree program I've just been accepted for, I noticed that it will be required reading for the soteriology course. Now the reading list might have changed by the time I take the course, but I figured that if it does, it's still better to have wasted $4.99, than if it doesn't, to have wasted $21.00.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 14
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2018 12:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback. That's helpful.

I'm still a bit torn, but it does sound like it's relatively mainstream. Do you know if it's Reformed per se?

Posts 10109
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2018 1:14 AM

Jason Harris:
Do you know if it's Reformed per se?

Yes it is.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3194
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2018 2:54 AM

It is a good and valuable book- I think of it more in the terms of a comparative theology book- like with any book eat the meat drop the bones on the plate, you will not have to do a lot of that.

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2018 4:06 AM

I have found this to be a valuable resource. It does cover how the doctrines have been developed historically.  Demarest typically deals with the Catholic, Armenian and Reformed  positions. As appropriate the position of liberals, Barth, etc are covered as well. It is ordered in the sequence that Demarest sees as being the order of salvation. I have used this to teach students who are Arminian. They would have preferred a more Arminian text, but didn't find the book objectionable.

Posts 14
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2018 7:04 AM

Thanks all. That gives me a helpful sense of the situation. =)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS