A Couple of Selections by Prominant Hebrew Scholars

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 25
Rob | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 31 2018 7:35 AM

Of course there's Robert Alter's recently finished translation of the Hebrew Scriptures (quite rare for a single person to complete a full translation of the Bible) 

In his introduction he writes,

"Why, after so many English versions, a new translation of the Hebrew Bible? There is, I shall explain in detail, something seriously wrong with all the familiar English translations, traditional and recent, of the Hebrew Bible. Broadly speaking, one may say that in the case of the modern versions, the problem is a shaky sense of English and in the case of the King James Versions, a shaky sense of Hebrew. The present translation is an experiment in re-presenting the Bible--and, above all, biblical narrative prose--in a language that conveys with some precision the semantic nuances and the lively orchestration of literary effects of the Hebrew and at the same time has stylistic and rhythmic integrity as literary English."   

But there's more...

In March he releases The Art of Bible Translation

"In this brief book, award-winning biblical translator and acclaimed literary critic Robert Alter offers a personal and passionate account of what he learned about the art of Bible translation over the two decades he spent completing his own English version of the Hebrew Bible."

AND THEN THERE'S...

Gary Rendsberg (author of The Redaction of Genesis, available in Logos) will publish another book due out in April, How the Bible is Written

"A book focusing on the nexus between language and literature in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, with specific attention to how the former is used to create the latter; topics include wordplay, wordplay with proper names, alliteration, repetition with variation, dialect representation, intentionally confused language, marking closure, and more."

It would be great to have any or all of these in LBS.

Posts 4679
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 8:55 AM

I've already requested Alter's books multiple times, so I won't bother here...

...but Rendsberg's new book looks like something worth a read. The topics mentioned...

Rob:
wordplay, wordplay with proper names, alliteration, repetition with variation, dialect representation, intentionally confused language, marking closure, and more

...sound very promising. Yes

Posts 169
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 11:18 PM

Does any software carry Alter’s new Hebrew translation?  Wow, I would really love to have this in a copy-paste format.  

Incidentally, does anyone know how to copy-paste from Kindle?

Posts 1674
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 1:33 AM

Puddin’:

If you're on a Mac you can use Calibre to convert a Kindle book to a number of formats including .docx which you can then use to create a Personal book in Logos. Not sure of the options on Windows.

Posts 169
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 4:12 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Puddin’:

If you're on a Mac you can use Calibre to convert a Kindle book to a number of formats including .docx which you can then use to create a Personal book in Logos. Not sure of the options on Windows.

Oh wow!  I didn’t know that.  Excellent👍.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS