What version of the Bible are you planning to read in 2019?

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 8900
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 7:51 AM

Yasmin Stephen:
I've adopted this practice, thanks to you, and so far I've done the LEB (2015), NIV (2017), and MEV (2018). I'm doing the CSB this year as I've heard great things about it.

Excellent! Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 25
J. T. Shortt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 8:38 AM

It is encouraging to hear others with the desire to continually read the bible each year. Though I have read through the bible over the past several years, it is only this year I thought about reading in a different translation. I'm a little slow to change I guess. So after reading the ESV, I am starting the NIV.

A side question, how have you been able to encourage, challenge or inspire some one else to begin reading the bible yearly?

J.T.

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 8:47 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Whatever keeps us in the Scriptures and, more importantly, close to Jesus is best and each of us must determine what that is.

Absolutely

For a number of years I did read the Bible through in a year in different translations and found it really helpful.

This year I am doing something different and have set up a plan to read fairly slowly through the Gospels in the first six months of the year with the specific intention of exploring what they say about following Jesus. I started it this morning and found it really powerful.

I don't know yet about the second half of the yearSmile

Posts 8900
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 9:06 AM

J. T. Shortt:
It is encouraging to hear others with the desire to continually read the bible each year.

I agree.

J. T. Shortt:
A side question, how have you been able to encourage, challenge or inspire some one else to begin reading the bible yearly?

One of the things that I often encourage those I teach to think about is the fact that we live in a world that has unprecedented access to the Scriptures and yet research seems to show that many Christians are biblically illiterate. We have no excuse with free versions available in most languages and even if someone can't read or doesn't like to read they can listen to it. If the Bible is truly God's message to us would not the most basic of things simply be to read it entirely?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8900
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 9:10 AM

Graham Criddle:

For a number of years I did read the Bible through in a year in different translations and found it really helpful.

This year I am doing something different and have set up a plan to read fairly slowly through the Gospels in the first six months of the year with the specific intention of exploring what they say about following Jesus. I started it this morning and found it really powerful.

Thanks for sharing Graham. I can imagine that it would be powerful. There definitely needs to be a tension between reading broadly and slowing down and reading meditatively. Personally, I find that working my way through Greek and Hebrew slows me down which is a good thing.

Posts 292
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 9:50 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Thanks everyone for your replies. It doesn't surprise me that many of you are going to read the CSB. Having just finished it I know you will enjoy it. It is a solid version.

I still have a few hours to decide but right now I'm leaning toward the NET Bible. Has anyone read it through it a year before?

I read through the NET bible last year with my Mom and we really enjoyed it. We liked having the notes available when there is something in the text that puzzled us or wanted to find out more about. I would really like to see this in a reverse interlinear.

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 12:31 PM

2018: LEB last year with NKJV and NIV for reference as well as BKC and NBC as side dishes.

2019: NLT.  I am not a fan of it, so this is a spiritual discipline, and so far I am enjoying it very much.  Alongside, I am reading devotional commentaries--presently "Opening Up Genesis" by K. Sttassner and ECB (Eerdman's) as a side dish. 

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 12:37 PM

I also read the CSB in 2018. I’m going to read the venerable NASB95 in 2019.

-Donnie

Posts 109
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 2:59 PM

I enjoyed the REB when I read through it some years ago.

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2019 4:38 AM

Graham Criddle:

"and found it really powerful" Maybe the difference between reading the Gospels and studying the Gospels??

At 86 verses a day one is 'reading' but not 'deeply studying' the Bible.  

Posts 22
Pastor Don Carpenter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2019 6:17 AM

I will be using the Logos Chronological plan this year to read through the KJV.  Three years ago we started a Bible Reading Challenge in our church where folks committed to a Bible reading plan and were accountable to follow through with that plan..it has helped us to grow as a congregation.  This year our folks are choosing from either the chronological plan or 3x through the New Testament.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 5:32 AM

I am a very slow reader, so I follow a two year plan because for me, trying to read in one year always set me up for failure.  I am now in year two of the HCSB.  

Now, you asked a second part to the question, which is WHY I’m reading it.

I chose it because I study from the NASB, but enjoy reading from various, less technical versions.  I always found the HCSB to be set apart from other versions in it’s language choices (i.e., the use of Yahweh instead of LORD), and in it’s translation philosophy (i.e. dynamic). 

I should mention that for my Bible reading plan, I do not use Logos.  I purchase an actual, in- your-hands, touch it-feel it, thumb-through-it-and-hear-the-pages-turn, crawl-up-on-the-couch- with-a-cup-of-coffee Bible.  

So, one day I was at the book store and I stumbled upon this Bible https://www.christianbook.com/hcsb-study-bible-large-print-hardcover/9781433607479/pd/607479.  I thought it was so well laid out that I bought it.  It was on my shelf for a couple of years and so when it came tme to read another Bible, I chose that one.

Someone above mentioned the NLT.  You know, I struggled with it as well at the onset when I read it some time back, but the hard cover Bible that I chose was so enjoyable that it turned out to be one of my favorite read-throughs. 

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 6:22 AM

I find one year insufficient, so now opt for a two year plan, using The Gospel Coalition's plan tied in with the two books "How to Read the Bible for all it is Worth" and "How to read the Bible Book by Book" and the Bible Knowledge Commentary. When reading the Psalms I also use NIVAC, so looking forward to volume 2 coming soon. Unlike Cynthia, I could not manage this with a dead tree version of the Bible. But it works really, really well on Logos. In coffee shops I read monographs on my iPad, or listen to mobile ed lectures on my ear buds, depending on my mood.

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 6:29 AM

In terms of version, I use ESV. Have tried other versions, but after a few days I get frustrated, give up and go back to my favourite ESV. Only for more detailed studies do I consult other translations. Perhaps I am just an old reactionary!

Posts 8900
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 1:39 PM

Cynthia in Florida:
I am a very slow reader, so I follow a two year plan because for me, trying to read in one year always set me up for failure. 

Thanks for your explanation. I totally understand reading over two years. I naturally tend to read quite quickly so my challenge is often slowing down and letting the truth of a passage sink in deeply.

Cynthia in Florida:

I am now in year two of the HCSB.  

Now, you asked a second part to the question, which is WHY I’m reading it.

I chose it because I study from the NASB, but enjoy reading from various, less technical versions.  I always found the HCSB to be set apart from other versions in it’s language choices (i.e., the use of Yahweh instead of LORD), and in it’s translation philosophy (i.e. dynamic). 

the HCSB is on my "to-read list". After seeing your review it has confirmed this choice. Thanks.

Cynthia in Florida:
I purchase an actual, in- your-hands, touch it-feel it, thumb-through-it-and-hear-the-pages-turn, crawl-up-on-the-couch- with-a-cup-of-coffee Bible.  

Personally I've not found this to be the case but I hear lots of people express this. The newest trend I hear is young people reacting against everything digital and turning to paper again but I can't imagine that becoming a long-term trend.

Posts 292
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 1:47 PM

Bruce Dunning:
The newest trend I hear is young people reacting against everything digital and turning to paper again but I can't imagine that becoming a long-term trend.

It could last till they have to move their library... for the third timeBig Smile

Posts 1083
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 1:54 PM

The old, trusted CSV. I just love the way it reads and flows.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 2:11 PM

Myke Harbuck:

The old, trusted CSV. I just love the way it reads and flows.

What does CSV stand for? Google doesn't seem to know. Smile

Posts 17909
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 4:10 PM

Kiyah:
What does CSV stand for?

Comma Separated Values

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 203
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 4:21 PM

I have a list out to 2030 of what bible translation I will read in any given year, I want to make sure I get many of them in across the spectrum. I am reading CSB in 2019 and my girlfriend is reading the LEB in 2019. We are finishing up a plan in May with the ESV.

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS